DRDO and PSU's

Here.. 2200lbf

2200lbf is 9.786kN.

So 122.6kN to increase to 132.4kN.
cover-photo-2.jpg

Well, regarding the confusion with Project Kusha, I initially thought that DRDO took Akash NG missile and integrated it with boosters of different shapes and grain configuration to improve range.

Then I had a closer look at the pic posted by Porky Kicker and came to the conclusion that M2 and M3 use a brand new missile which is distinctly different from M1.

GWyWbXTWgAA3m8y.jpeg

Well, I was wrong.

qx5zJig8.jpg_medium.jpg

Kusha uses a new missile design. It's neither Akash NG nor Barak-8.

M2 uses a 500 mm dia booster.
M3 uses a 730 mm dia booster.

All the three variants use the same base missile. This missile has dual solid rocket motors labelled P1 and P2. This new missile has a 60 kg warhead. Barak-8 ie Mrsam has a 23 kg warhead. This missile has a dia of 250 mm while Mrsam has 225 mm. Grain length of solid motor is more than 1500 mm. This new missile is thicker, longer and heavier than Barak-8.

Instead of emulating the Russian model of having three distinct missile designs for different ranges like in the S-400 Triumf, we decided to follow the MBDA and IAI Barak MX approach of having a single missile design integrated different boosters to meet different range requirements.

The Germans on the other hand have different missiles designs when it comes to their ground launched sam system, Iris T SLS SLM and SLX .

IMG-20240905-WA0083(1).jpg

If you consider the booster, then M2 and M3 are three pulse rocket motor missile designs.

According to DRDO, Akash NG has a 30 km range.

Screenshot_20240907-112300~2.png

Have a look at this missile and compare it with M1. You will see that the frontal cruciform control surfaces are located much further from the seeker bay in Akash NG vs the M1 missile design.

Screenshot_20240907-112345~2.png

At present, Astra mk1, Qrsam, Akash NG, Akash prime share the same radome. But work is going on to improve acquisition range and in future NG will have a new seeker. An aesa seeker is also in the works.

Screenshot_20240907-112357~2.png

Akash NG battery can track and engage 10 targets having 0.1sqm RCS simultaneously. This makes it capable of engaging very low RCS Tier 3 uas, ALCM and LACM and even TBM.

AL-31FM1 version made for RAF Su-30SM gives out 132kN wet thrust. You can find the variants on wiki itself. There Chinese version AL-31 all has between 130-140kN thrust. Baaas hum hi chutiye hy, 25 saal me no progress.

The AL-41-F1S of Su-35 & Su-30SM2 gives out 137kN with afterburner. Older versions had AL-31FP of Su-30MKI

AL-31FM1 versions have been made for NAPO Su-34.

IAPO Su-30SM and SM2 use AL-31FP. And now there's an active program to switch to AL-41F1-S.

AL-41F1-S has a max wet thrust of 145 kN although Russians call this special thrust setting.

For normal usage, max wet thrust is 140 kN.

Screenshot_20240907-121200~2.png

In Russia Flankers are built in Irkutsk and Komsomolsk on Amur. Our MKI originated in Irkutsk. The J-11 and it's various clones and the Su-30K that PLAAF use are from Knaaz in Komsomolsk. Both these plants use AL-31 series engines sourced from different engine makers for their Sukhoi 30 series. IAPO uses engines of NPO Saturn which makes the AL-31F and FP series. And the AL-41F1 and F1S. MMPP Salyut makes the AL-31FM variants which power Su-34 and Su-30K.

AL-31FM1 versions have been made for NAPO Su-34.

IAPO Su-30SM and SM2 use AL-31FP. And now there's an active program to switch to AL-41F1-S.

AL-41F1-S has a max wet thrust of 145 kN although Russians call this special thrust setting.

For normal usage, max wet thrust is 140 kN.

View attachment 8646

In Russia Flankers are built in Irkutsk and Komsomolsk on Amur. Our MKI originated in Irkutsk. The J-11 and it's various clones and the Su-30K that PLAAF use are from Knaaz in Komsomolsk. Both these plants use AL-31 series engines sourced from different engine makers for their Sukhoi 30 series. IAPO uses engines of NPO Saturn which makes the AL-31F and FP series. And the AL-41F1 and F1S. MMPP Salyut makes the AL-31FM variants which power Su-34 and Su-30K.
So there are chances that we will opt for AL-31FM1 with 10kN higher thrust instead of FP. That's possible if we are changing supplier from NPOsaturn to Salyut.
How different can these engines are, can our ground force absorb the changes quickly ?

M2 uses a 500 mm dia booster.
M3 uses a 730 mm dia booster.

All the three variants use the same base missile. This missile has dual solid rocket motors labelled P1 and P2. This new missile has a 60 kg warhead. Barak-8 ie Mrsam has a 23 kg warhead. This missile has a dia of 250 mm while Mrsam has 225 mm. Grain length of solid motor is more than 1500 mm. This new missile is thicker, longer and heavier than Barak-8.

View: https://x.com/DefSysCI/status/1793654511632036193?t=fqtfvdkrxxaemo-_V7NabQ&s=19

But here you can see booster diameter is 350 mm. So chances are the configuration of missiles are old and there might have been some changes.

This new missile has a 60 kg warhead. Barak-8 ie Mrsam has a 23 kg warhead.
This new missile uses the exact same 60kg warhead of Barak-8 or MRSAM; there no point in developing another warhead for similar role.

And I don't think any of our dedicated SAMs have a warhead as light as 23kg; even the lightest one on QRSAM is 32kg.
We still follow the Russian philosophy of compensating accuracy with a bigger warhead.

If I'm not wrong then Barak-1 used to have a 23kg warhead.

This new missile uses the exact same 60kg warhead of Barak-8 or MRSAM; there no point in developing another warhead for similar role.

And I don't think any of our dedicated SAMs have a warhead as light as 23kg; even the lightest one on QRSAM is 32kg.
We still follow the Russian philosophy of compensating accuracy with a bigger warhead.

If I'm not wrong then Barak-1 used to have a 23kg warhead.

foP9ghch.jpg_large.jpg

According to this warhead mass is 23 kg.

View attachment 8663

According to this warhead mass is 23 kg.
There should be a Pradhan Mantri TDP Vitran Yojna for people like us to prevent such confusions

This is LRSAM or MRSAM or Barak-8 whatever it is
IMG_20240907_233907.jpg
And this is the warhead
IMG_20240907_233941.jpg
Assuming the diameter to be 225mm, the complete warhead should be in the range of 2**x4**mm. There's another warhead that pretty close to this dimensions...NGARM's
IMG_20240907_202525.jpg
And it's again a 60kg class warhead.

As for 23kg, Barak-1 with its 170mm diameter body used to have a 23kg warhead. This is from an extremely old flyer
IMG_20240907_202808.jpg

And if indeed Barak-8 has a 23kg warhead and it's not some misprint of Barak-1's warhead or the "explosive weight" getting written as warhead weight then I've absolutely no clue what's going on. Because even Akash has a similar warhead so why lower it so drastically
Screenshot_2024-09-07-20-27-15-28_c37d74246d9c81aa0bb824b57eaf7062.jpg

Yes, but beyond that?... now shouldn't we settle for one of the two, whichever suits better?

Presently I know of no capability or op.role difference between the two.
We got the needed tech now that will happen soon.
I have a different question why do we have so many different short range sams it's logistically not logical to have unless there are much diverse needs which I don't is there in case of short range sams.(Ok akash prime for freezing Himalayas) But why
Akash,akash ng, qrsam.
I think we should have only 2 missiles in production.

I have a different question why do we have so many different short range sams it's logistically not logical to have unless there are much diverse needs which I don't is there in case of short range sams.(Ok akash prime for freezing Himalayas) But why
Akash,akash ng, qrsam.
I think we should have only 2 missiles in production.
Because there was no long term plan to have an unified air-defence system with multiple missiles and every project happened in kind of an ad-hoc basis. After this whole CAATSA thing with S-400 and then the subsequent suboptimal performance of it made us to work on a replacement.

> Mobile SAMs like OSA would get replaced by QRSAM
> Akash and Akash-P would get replaced by Kusha M1
> Barak-8/MRSAM/LRSAM would get replaced by Kusha M1. As I told yesterday, we can't export them. You can check on Bharat Dynamic Limited website how everything is listed for export, except this.
> Whatever work we have done on Akash-NG and LRSAM would now culminate into Kusha M1. Akash-NG was always supposed to be an Indian replacement for Barak-8/MRSAM.
> S-400's lower tier missiles would get replaced by Kusha M2 and Kusha M3.
> S-400's upper tier ABM missiles would get replaced by AAD/PAD/AD-1/AD-2

So if everything goes as planned then you'd have just three SAM systems. (Not counting MANPADS)

1. QRSAM; short range mobile
2. Kusha; medium to long with limited ABM capabilities
3. AD series; dedicated ABM system

Uttam is an variant of ELTA radar.

What a bunch of bullshit people were spewing nowadays. We came across lot of works done on this radar from DRDO brochures, presentation etc. Heck the number TRM modules in this radar is some of the highest we ever seen.

The way these guys were discounting the hard work of good scientists.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back