DRDO and PSU's

Damn 2208 TR modules.
View attachment 11674
Naacho bc.

Putting its "mini-AWACS" status back on track.

If I am not wrong this makes Virupaksha the only nose-mounted radar to have so many TRM modules.

We should really look into converting Su-30MKIs airframe into composite like J-16s.

Last edited:
Putting its "mini-AWACS" status back on track.

If I am not wrong this makes Virupaksha the only nose-mounted radar to have so many TRM modules.

We should really look into converting Su-30MKIs airframe into composite like J-16s.
But what about the power requirement?? You think the Al-31FPs be able to generate enough power??

With 12 kW peak power output of each TRM, Virupaksha will have a range of 296 km against a 3sqm target at PD 90. At PD 50 this increases to 441 km.

PD is probability of detection.

GZZVFw7akAAAkiA~2.png

Against a 0.1 sqm targets, range is atleast 100 km for PD 90. This figure will increase for PD 50. Meaning J-20A can be detected and tracked at long enough ranges which will allow BVR engagement.

Virupaksha may have a 26.5 kW peak power rating based on the heat exchanger shown in last Aero India. It's range will be much higher than the much vaunted APG-77 on Raptor. It will even outranged the mighty beast Irbis.

And best thing is GaN TRMM require 1/5 th the power of GaAs for the same power output. So electrical power availability on Su-30MKI won't be a constraint.

With 12 kW peak power output of each TRM, Virupaksha will have a range of 296 km against a 3sqm target at PD 90. At PD 50 this increases to 441 km.

View attachment 11702

Against a 0.1 sqm targets, range is atleast 100 km for PD 90. This figure will increase for PD 50. Meaning J-20A can be detected and tracked at long enough ranges which will allow BVR engagement.

Virupaksha may have a 26.5 kW peak power rating based on the heat exchanger shown in last Aero India. It's range will be much higher than the much vaunted APG-77 on Raptor. It will even outranged the mighty beast Irbis.

And best thing is GaN TRMM require 1/5 th the power of GaAs for the same power output. So electrical power availability on Su-30MKI won't be a constraint.
So soon the most capable AESA radar would be ours. Closely followed by ASELSAN's.
No USA, no France, no Russia
Screenshot_2024-10-09-11-38-54-60_6bcd734b3b4b52977458a65c801426b0.jpg
> rare W for two of the most rabid online defence fanbois

View attachment 11702

You mean 12 Watt, right??

But what about the power requirement?? You think the Al-31FPs be able to generate enough power??
Let's not forget it was called a mini awacs.
It's engine might not be as good as western one for electrical output but they are descent enough. I still doubt it wouldn't surpass f15 ex radar.
But we would have a big leap forward with GaN compensating for all.

They're is another thing i had heard that different shapes and sizes result better performance I think I heard abt rafale for using miniturised and better transmit & receive modules. The minituarisation of tr modules have helped to fit mind blowing 2400 tr modules.
Also the GaN too.
I think rafale offsets had included purchases of tr modules from bel. For which they must have given the needed tot. This must have helped us. Right now bel is primarily focused on GaN.

While GaAs aesa has 40% power added efficiency while GaN aesa has 50% pae
And pesa have 60%.

With other technologies getting more advance like trms,cooling ig the performance still would be much better than expected. It feels this huge trms would get sufficient power as the number is so high..

But we are forgetting the uttam was optimised for low frequency functioning too. Like in L band. The tejas's uttam has 992 trms with 912 being sole x band and rest are for L band could be for even lower & diverse bandwidth this could go further ahead in virupaksha.

While virupaksha takes this game all next level. 2400 trms wouldn't be for x band alone. No way it can exploit them all at once. This many are fitted to use diverse bandwidth like the above mentioned but much better than predecessor. The accessibility of low bands on fcr has many advantages.
The stealth is kept in mind by un genrols this time. Low frequency radars are very good against low observable aircrafts and give a very long range but can't give fire control solution long range. But fcr accessible to such diverse bandwidth working in conjunction would be able to target stealth much better than a lone x band fcr would do. Also being much less susceptible to jamming it would counter the x band jammers much much easily.
This low band accessibility would make su30 a much better mini awacs that it would have been earlier. Despite GaN aesa's having pae of 50% compared to 60% of PESAs.
The lpi(low probability of intercept) feature would be much more capable too with this diverse bandwidth.
The bars is a big asx 650kg radar ig there was no weight constraint for them so that's why they are able put so much in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I would want to correct myself abt the shapes & sizes and minituarisation of trms & else somewhere if I'm wrong.
If you have anything to share related plz do.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back