Indian Olympics Bid - 2036

SKC

Lord Mithun Devotee!
Administrator
All news and updated related to Indian bid for hosting Summer Olympics in 2036

Bidding Process for 2036 Olympics was approved in 2019.

2032 Olympics to be hosted in Brisbane.

Confirmed Bids for 2036 so far:

1. Nusantara - Indonesia

2. Istanbul - Turkey

3. City Not confirmed - India - most Likely to be Ahmedabad.

4. Santiago - Chile

Potential Bids:
1. New Administrative Capital - Egypt
2. Seoul - South Korea
3. Chengdu-Chongqing - China
4. Doha - Qatar
5. Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
6. Budapest - Hungary
7. Florence–Bologna or Turin - Italy
8. Berlin - Germany
9. Copenhagen - Denmark
10. Toronto–Montreal - Canada

No way we should host the 2036 olympics. It will be a PR disaster. I have no faith in this country fixing physical urban infra in just 10 years. We should aim for 2044/48, which will coincide with our 100th birthday

I say go full steam on 2036 one. That is full 12 years into future and the place most likely will be Ahmedabad which is much more decent than most other big cities in the country.

First focus should be on improving the medals tally and the pathetic sports infrastructure in the country. When China hosted the Olympics in 2008, they were already winning 30+ gold medals and were always #2 or #3 in the medals tally.

Won't look good if we host the Olympics and and barely scrape by with 2-3 medals.

Urban infra needs to be the other main focus too, Modi govt needs to take this head on or else we become a laughing stock as our cities will be broadcast-ed to the whole world.

First focus should be on improving the medals tally and the pathetic sports infrastructure in the country. When China hosted the Olympics in 2008, they were already winning 30+ gold medals and were always #2 or #3 in the medals tally.

Won't look good if we host the Olympics and and barely scrape by with 2-3 medals.

Urban infra needs to be the other main focus too, Modi govt needs to take this head on or else we become a laughing stock as our cities will be broadcast-ed to the whole world.
Both things can happen side by side. One thing does not hamper other thing.

China was dominant right from 1984 Summer Olympics which was their first full fledged participation. They earlier attended 1952 Olympics only for 1 event.

In 1984 they ended up at 4th place:
Gold: 15
Silver: 8
Bronze: 9
Total: 32

Medal tally is a function of population and GDP PCI unless you are a dictatorship. And our medal tallies have been on a secular increase across Olympics, Paralympics, Asiad, Asian Para Games, Universiade and Youth Olympics. It is difficult to predict exact medal count but should bag 10+ at Paris 2024 and 30 at the Para Games this time around - would do even better if the Olympic cycle were not this short. They are targeting 20+ at LA 2028 - which again is a very realistic goal given the inclusion of cricket and squash.

Medal tally is a function of population and GDP PCI unless you are a dictatorship. And our medal tallies have been on a secular increase across Olympics, Paralympics, Asiad, Asian Para Games, Universiade and Youth Olympics. It is difficult to predict exact medal count but should bag 10+ at Paris 2024 and 30 at the Para Games this time around - would do even better if the Olympic cycle were not this short.
You're expecting India to bag only 10 medals this Olympics? Is this secular growth or the kind of growth qaumrade economists developed a term for which I'm loathe to use?

You're expecting India to bag only 10 medals this Olympics? Is this secular growth or the kind of growth qaumrade economists developed a term for which I'm loathe to use?
Haha.
Let us see,

A total of 2 medals at Rio 2016.

A total of 7 medals at Tokyo 2020 (2021).

Expecting a total of 10-12 medals at Paris 2024 (anything below 10 will be a massive underperformance).

Also,

A total of 4 medals at Rio Para Games (2016).

A total of 19 medals at Tokyo Para Games (2020/21).

Expecting a total of 30 medals at the Paris Para Games.

If we had a normal 4 year Olympic cycle they would do even better. Either way, looks like a secular increase to me.

And last but not the least, a medal count in double digits is nothing to sneeze at (something only 19 nations managed to achieve back in 2021).

Last edited:
No way we should host the 2036 olympics. It will be a PR disaster. I have no faith in this country fixing physical urban infra in just 10 years. We should aim for 2044/48, which will coincide with our 100th birthday
Nope. We should target 2036 only - why cannot a nation with a pci of US$ 8k host one? And Amdavad is already better off than most major cities out there.

Medal tally is a function of population and GDP PCI unless you are a dictatorship. And our medal tallies have been on a secular increase across Olympics, Paralympics, Asiad, Asian Para Games, Universiade and Youth Olympics. It is difficult to predict exact medal count but should bag 10+ at Paris 2024 and 30 at the Para Games this time around - would do even better if the Olympic cycle were not this short. They are targeting 20+ at LA 2028 - which again is a very realistic goal given the inclusion of cricket and squash.
PCI is not exactly an accurate indicator, there are multiple (African) countries who have more or less similar PCI but are able to win more GM's by channeling all their resources in one area(athletics for example).

PCI is not exactly an accurate indicator, there are multiple (African) countries who have more or less similar PCI but are able to win more GM's by channeling all their resources in one area(athletics for example).
There are actual peer reviewed research papers to back up what I wrote - I am not linking them here to keep the discussion simple (let me know if you want them).

The African nations you are referring to (Kenya, Ethiopia etc) are exceptions due to some unique genetic features - they have been surviving dry arid climates for centuries (often at medium/high altitudes) and have benefitted from it. And they dominate some specific disciplines only (steeplechase, long distance running, racewalk etc) - you won't find a Kenyan medalling in shooting, table tennis, badminton or archery. If they were as efficient (at 'channeling resources') as you claim they would not be depending on a few track and field events to win medals.

There are actual peer reviewed research papers to back up what I wrote - I am not linking them here to keep the discussion simple (let me know if you want them).

The African nations you are referring to (Kenya, Ethiopia etc) are exceptions due to some unique genetic features - they have been surviving dry arid climates for centuries (often at medium/high altitudes) and have benefitted from it. And they dominate some specific disciplines only (steeplechase, long distance running, racewalk etc) - you won't find a Kenyan medalling in shooting, table tennis, badminton or archery. If they were as efficient (at 'channeling resources') as you claim they would not be depending on a few track and field events to win medals.

I'm well aware that genetics helps African/Jamaican athletes perform better in athletics and track/field events. I was only giving a counterexample to your blanket claim that "Medal tally is a function of population and GDP PCI unless you are a dictatorship".

And BTW those select African countries(even if you discount them due to their genetic advantages) are just one example. Uzbekistan won 3 gold medals last Olympics and its PCI is similar to that of India. Traditionally, most of their medals have always been in boxing.

The fact remains that countries with lower PCI can still win decent number of GM's if they concentrate their resources on few sports as these countries have done. India easily has the financial resources to do so and could've possibly done something similar, but has failed in that regard.

- you won't find a Kenyan medalling in shooting, table tennis, badminton or archery. If they were as efficient (at 'channeling resources') as you claim they would not be depending on a few track and field events to win medals.

How they win their medals is irrelevant, the fact is they have been winning more GM's resulting in higher overall standings than India for many decades, despite having lower population and PCI.

I was only giving a counterexample to your blanket claim that "Medal tally is a function of population and GDP PCI unless you are a dictatorship".

This paper examines determinants of Olympic success at the country level. Does the U.S. win its fair share of Olympic medals? Why does China win 6% of the medals even though it has 1/5 of the world’s population? We consider the role of population and economic resources
in determining medal totals from 1960-1996. At the margin, population and income per capita have similar effects suggesting that both a large population and high per capita GDP are needed to generate high medal totals. We also provide out of sample predictions for the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.

And BTW those select African countries(even if you discount them due to their genetic advantages) are just one example. Uzbekistan won 3 gold medals last Olympics and its PCI is similar to that of India. Traditionally, most of their medals have always been in boxing.

A lot of ex Soviet states benefitted from Soviet era sporting infrasturcture/investments but even there the impact of economic output has been gradually catching up (Kazakhstan, for instance, has been witnessing a steady decline in medal counts). And Uzbekistan has fallen behind India of late, they finished below India at the 2022 Asiad.
The fact remains that countries with lower PCI can still win decent number of GM's if they concentrate their resources on few sports as these countries have done. India easily has the financial resources to do so and could've possibly done something similar, but has failed in that regard.

Countries with lower PCI typically do not win too many medals. Yes, outliers exist but outliers cannot be emulated. Olympic medal tally is, at the end of the day, an indirect proxy for state capacity - the best way to increase state capacity? Grow the damn economy.
How they win their medals is irrelevant, the fact is they have been winning more GM's resulting in higher overall standings than India for many decades, despite having lower population and PCI.

That they do not win medals outside a few track and field events is precisely why their medal tally is not going to improve any time soon. But nations like India (that have been pouring resources across multiple disciplines) will catch up and move past them.

Attachments

We have to be realistic!

We are not a global athletics superpower! We started taking sports seriously after 2000s once we had a significant Middle class and after 2010 when lower strata of society started improving and sports infrastructure started to develop.

We can't jump from 2-3 medal to over 20-30 in 1-2 Olympics; its linear progression.

Both things can happen side by side. One thing does not hamper other thing.

China was dominant right from 1984 Summer Olympics which was their first full fledged participation. They earlier attended 1952 Olympics only for 1 event.

In 1984 they ended up at 4th place:
Gold: 15
Silver: 8
Bronze: 9
Total: 32
and the fact is in 1984 chinese people were poor then indians lol

and the fact is in 1984 chinese people were poor then indians lol
There were 2 years in whole 1980s when India surpassed China in GDP per capita. Rest of the time china wa still above us.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back