Indian Small Arms and Weapons

In early 1960s we adopted new SMLEs in 7.62x51mm and replaced our .303. Then came SLRs in the same caliber and not just being a standard issue rifle of army, it was also procured by police and CAPFs. To supplement the SLRs we adopted Bren Guns in 7.62x51mm, still our standard issue LMG. Then came FN MAGs or as called locally MMGs, from platoons to tanks to bunkers, everyone got a MMG in 7.62x51mm. Replacement of both Bren and MAGs; some 40 thousand machine guns are also supposed to be in 7.62x51mm. Not to mention whenever we'd replace SVDs it would be in 7.62x51mm only.

But ya, I do sometimes wonder whether there's enough ammo to sustain them for the next decade or not. Especially when we've started not just manufacturing NATO spec ammunition but exporting them to USA.
I think the problem Vivek Krishnan was pointing was that the first batch of SiGs performed poorly with OFB ammo and IA had to import the ammo also !

Yup, we may argue on the feasibility of 5.8x42mm vs 6.8x51mm but must agree on the flawless execution of even a suboptimal idea.
View attachment 8308
Carbine, Assault Rifle, Designated Marksmen Rifle and Squad Automatic Weapon, all using not just the same caliber but even interchangeable magazines.
Any other country and gernails would have been fired. IA top brass should hang their heads in shame. But if we point this out, we become sadakchap ssb fail chapris

I think the problem Vivek Krishnan was pointing was that the first batch of SiGs performed poorly with OFB ammo and IA had to import the ammo also !
That whole story of "SIG-716i problem OFB ammo" was most probably a hit job by some Indian firm who had JV with some foreign manufacturer, that got cancelled in favour of SIG-716i

There is no such thing as "high power LMG round", except for proof load each and every 7.62x51mm round follows the same parameter.

The most funny thing about this story was that it revolved around a very special cartridge custom made for LMGs that's not supposed to be fired from assault rifle. Okay genius...then what the heck were we fring from our FN FALs for almost five decades!? Or now FN FAL too is a hIgH pOwEr LmG!?

That whole story of "SIG-716i problem OFB ammo" was most probably a hit job by some Indian firm who had JV with some foreign manufacturer, that got cancelled in favour of SIG-716i

There is no such thing as "high power LMG round", except for proof load each and every 7.62x51mm round follows the same parameter.

The most funny thing about this story was that it revolved around a very special cartridge custom made for LMGs that's not supposed to be fired from assault rifle. Okay genius...then what the heck were we fring from our FN FALs for almost five decades!? Or now FN FAL too is a hIgH pOwEr LmG!?
Makes sense. But if you watched any of the sig firing vids, you must have noticed the v high shocker of a recoil. That wasn't there in any of the reviews by american guntubers I watched on YT? Why is that? Like just genuinely curious.

Makes sense. But if you watched any of the sig firing vids, you must have noticed the v high shocker of a recoil. That wasn't there in any of the reviews by american guntubers I watched on YT? Why is that? Like just genuinely curious.
What were these chaps firing before they were handed a SIG-716i? Most probably an INSAS. Now let's talk about INSAS

There are numerous problems in an INSAS, from suboptimal design to pathetic manufacturing but...even on its worst day, an INSAS shoots like a laser.
It's a heavy 4kg rifle that fires a wimpy 5.56x45mm round, resulting in a recoil energy of just around 4.5 joules. Now compare that to what most Americans shoot, a M4; same round but from a 3.4kg gun resulting in a recoil energy of almost 8 joules.

For SIG-716i this recoil energy should be somewhere around 14 joules.
I guess now even you can tell who would be more familiar with the increased recoil; our grunts or theirs.

Furthermore, our shooting techniques are prehistoric. Shooting techniques play a key role in how effectively you can "tame" the recoil of a gun. This is reason why trained 3-gun shooters in USA can handle the recoil so gracefully despite being literal kids.

What were these chaps firing before they were handed a SIG-716i? Most probably an INSAS. Now let's talk about INSAS

There are numerous problems in an INSAS, from suboptimal design to pathetic manufacturing but...even on its worst day, an INSAS shoots like a laser.
It's a heavy 4kg rifle that fires a wimpy 5.56x45mm round, resulting in a recoil energy of just around 4.5 joules. Now compare that to what most Americans shoot, a M4; same round but from a 3.4kg gun resulting in a recoil energy of almost 8 joules.

For SIG-716i this recoil energy should be somewhere around 14 joules.
I guess now even you can tell who would be more familiar with the increased recoil; our grunts or theirs.

Furthermore, our shooting techniques are prehistoric. Shooting techniques play a key role in how effectively you can "tame" the recoil of a gun. This is reason why trained 3-gun shooters in USA can handle the recoil so gracefully despite being literal kids.
Thanks for the detailed explaination. Makes sense - am just happy that we can keep using our local ammo. All the folks talking about how barrel would burst and all was bothering.

I smell Chandigarh lobby

Who said gernails and GoI want to develop a MiC ? All they want is kickbacks and a plush seaside villa ..
You forgot to mention deeply entrenched mod bureaucracy which can remove or create technicalities in a tender when they want

India have such big market for optics but we only have few option who are designed and manufactured in India rest are just screw drivered
Irde or indian company should work on red dot , magnifier
Realistically assume i was an Indian company but iam seeing army supports foreign companies more and R&D goes in waste then why would i waste my money on R&D and rather than 🪛 & make profit

Last edited:
Realistically assume i were an Indian company but you are seeing army supports foreign companies more and R&D goes in waste I would not waste my money on R&D and make profit
After seeing apache, stryker , dsrishti everyone will go for screwdriver giri
But i atleast exept a good copy of high end optics from indian company consider even if army doesnt favor you it is highly likely that you will still get order good numbers from some local purchase by army , crpf ,Marcos and garud

After seeing apache, stryker , dsrishti everyone will go for screwdriver giri
But i atleast exept a good copy of high end optics from indian company consider even if army doesnt favor you it is highly likely that you will still get order good numbers from some local purchase by army , crpf ,Marcos and garud
Will be seen, soon🤞🏼🤞🏼

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back