Indian Small Arms and Weapons

Ergonomics is not ARDE's forte TBH...
Call me an arm chair general or keyboard warrior, but it's a fact.
This is where the Private Sector needs to step in, ARDE needs to give some amount of leeway to their DCPPs to make cosmetic and ergonomic changes to the firearms they've been given licenses to manufacture/co-develop from the initial stages itself and not later offered as an extra feature or upgraded variant.

Last edited:
It's my usual yapping time.

I always saw the grips on DRDO/OFB rifles and thought that there's no way they would be comfortable, especially the grips on things like MCIWS or this new Ugram.
Everyone in gun world seems to move to a steeper grip angle to better support a relaxed shooting position with some grips even going as steep as 15° but generally the current industry standard is 20°. Now compare that to Ugram where it's almost double at 38°.
View attachment 11255
This may seem a very trivial thing to crib about but sadly, it's not.
View attachment 11257
When we change the angle of our wrist (ulnar deviation in technical terms) we put our wrist in a position of mechanical disadvantage so the same force of 10kg without deflection can feel like 12kg with it. Moreover, it's not a relaxed position as it puts a lot of strain on small wrist muscles resulting in considerable discomfort or even pain if used for a prolonged period. So, the closer it's to 180° the better it would be.

For the first time, I saw someone shouldering Ugram in that video of Sandeep, and it was evident.
View attachment 11258
Now compare this to a contemporary of this era like HK433
View attachment 11259

Yup the wrist position is screwed up. Will create wrist pain with prolonged usage. Also ARDE somehow incapable of making the rivet flush type. It always looks crude. Finally they should remove that idiotic sling ring attached on the barrel. Every XYZ modern guns don't have this and barrel is pretty much undisturbed.

Yup the wrist position is screwed up. Will create wrist pain with prolonged usage. Also ARDE somehow incapable of making the rivet flush type. It always looks crude. Finally they should remove that idiotic sling ring attached on the barrel. Every XYZ modern guns don't have this and barrel is pretty much undisturbed.
I believe the only reason they still have those idiotic sling mounts, is the Indian Army's refusal to adopt modern Quick-Detach Slings. Which then leads to them utilising jugaad methods to attach slings like we've seen on the Sig-716. Not arguing with your point on the position of where the mounting point is attached.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back