1720863650929.png
Weapons and attachments:

- Negev NG7 LMG with OFB 3.5x Telescopic Sight
- Ak-203i with FB 3.5 Telescopic Sight
- Ak-203i(butt folded) with BL HWS and Tactical Foregrip
- Sig-716i(stock extended) with OFb 3.5x Telescopic Sight
- Sig-716i with BEL HWS and Tactical Foregrip

~ Pic by NC, Indian Army on X/Twitter

To those new to firearms, there are some counter intuitive realities you must learn, which are different from pop culture myths about famous rifles. After knowing the basic, you will realize why exactly the IA chose the direct impingement version of the Sig and how good the decision was.

The first thing to unlearn is that the M4 i.e AR 15 platform is "not reliable", or that AK 47 is "the most reliable rifle in the world".

As you can see here, the AR 15 platform is quite reliable and shows better results in mud tests than the AK. This is contrary to the stereotypes that "you can do anything to an AK it will keep firing" which our internet experts and even some IA officers throw about. On the other end "M4's are delicate, they're not reliable, only for special ops etc" must also be unlearnt.

To witness an even more counter intuitive example, here's the German G 36 performing better than the AK in the mud test. The G36 like the AR 15 has a closed system which normally doesn't allow mud to get in. It also uses gas piston like the AK and most other rifles. Most of the controversy about the G36 has also been proven false recently. But that's another topic.

The reality is that the AR 15 platform, which M4 is part of, is one of the most reliable systems in the world due to its internal design. The primary contributing factors is its dust cover and closed system, which prevents mud and other debris coming into its system in the first place. And when they do get into the internal system, that's when its direct impingement system plays a role by sending gas back into the chamber and blowing out any mud and dust. The direct impingement system on the AR platform also has the advantage of giving less recoil and lower weight, especially relevant for the Sig 716i, since it uses a large calibre.

To understand why the M16 and M4 falsely got their reputations as unreliable, watch the video below. Basically American public ordinance babus in the 60s intentionally gave faulty ammunition and didn't give cleaning kits to make the M16 look bad because they wanted to produce their old M14s.

The AK series are also very reliable in its own right, but does not deserve the endless praise it gets in pop culture and casual analysis on the internet. They're rifles like any other and get jammed like any other, in some cases more than western rifles. They use the same gas piston mechanism that most other rifles do, so they're not doing anything unique.

To understand the difference between direct impingement and gas piston, watch the videos below of the different mechanisms of the AR vs AK platforms. Gas piston was thought of as more reliable, but there is serious doubt on that claim now considering how reliable direct impingement is. Gas piston also increases recoil, due to a solid metal bar violently pushing the bolt back, compared to gas piston which only has gas coming back.

Finally, people don't realize that the quality of the magazine plays as much of a role in the reliability of a rifle as the rifle itself. The magazine is the component that feeds rounds into the rifle, and hence must function flawlessly in its spring system.

The IA made a very smart choice by going for the direct impingement option for its Sig rifles and choosing an AR platform to begin with. Now, why the INSAS has been such an unreliable rifle is another discussion, and mostly to do with quality control in sarkari babu OFB. But with this post I want to give people the basics of modern service rifles and break common myths.
🤷‍♂️ this is quite "concise" thing compared to actual realities; sure AR isn't as unreliable as infamously told during vietnam by journos or AK isn't reliable always; but reliability isn't measured in just tolerances (that thing of parts being closer or having space between them to accommodate outside gunk ingress without much affect on its working) or sealed design or so, the real practical reality depends on the design, handling of the fiream, and to some extent training of the individual handling it

as for G36 huh, they "quietly" admitted about its shortcomings and all, despite doing every sort of negation regarding reports on reliability issues in afghanistan and such regions in past, reason kraut Bundeswehr had to induct "modern" HK416 and all to replace already new G36 design 🤷‍♂️

this entire post requires much longer and detailed counterpost to explain or elaborate about classic M16 vs AK47 phenomena, but as i said in my post before...
:yawn: i've written about it so many times in teligram groups but i got kicked out of those places and nowadays i don't have much energy, willingness to rewrite all that, you know...

🤷‍♂️ this is quite "concise" thing compared to actual realities; sure AR isn't as unreliable as infamously told during vietnam by journos or AK isn't reliable always; but reliability isn't measured in just tolerances (that thing of parts being closer or having space between them to accommodate outside gunk ingress without much affect on its working) or sealed design or so, the real practical reality depends on the design, handling of the fiream, and to some extent training of the individual handling it

as for G36 huh, they "quietly" admitted about its shortcomings and all, despite doing every sort of negation regarding reports on reliability issues in afghanistan and such regions in past, reason kraut Bundeswehr had to induct "modern" HK416 and all to replace already new G36 design 🤷‍♂️

this entire post requires much longer and detailed counterpost to explain or elaborate about classic M16 vs AK47 phenomena, but as i said in my post before...

The purpose of the post was to break people away from commonly thrown tropes on the internet. Everyone can go into more detail at their leisure about different rifles and their pluses and minuses and actual record in combat.

View attachment 2705
Weapons and attachments:

- Negev NG7 LMG with OFB 3.5x Telescopic Sight
- Ak-203i with FB 3.5 Telescopic Sight
- Ak-203i(butt folded) with BL HWS and Tactical Foregrip
- Sig-716i(stock extended) with OFb 3.5x Telescopic Sight
- Sig-716i with BEL HWS and Tactical Foregrip

~ Pic by NC, Indian Army on X/Twitter
Disgusting 3.5x telescopic optic outdated even at the team they were inducted en masse.

Disgusting 3.5x telescopic optic outdated even at the team they were inducted en masse.
I actually want to know who is the adviser for Indian Army Procurements how do they end up buying outdated or wrong stuff almost all the time

I just hope they are not new purchases but old ones. If we are buying 80s scope in this day and age, god help us. Even our HWS is similiar to gen1 EOtech of late 90s.

Meanwhile Chinese Nibbars going full logical with a single calibre weapon in the whole squad, also has a dmr role weapons concept unlike IA.
1720948303324.png
And here is IA, with 7.62 AK, 7.62 NATO, 5.56 NATO all in a single company or battalion.

Buying boths sigs and AKs never made any sense anywhere.

Also, Chinese have started issuing these new weapons enmass and they already come with optics, thermal sights and gripods.
1720948672253.png

I just hope they are not new purchases but old ones. If we are buying 80s scope in this day and age, god help us. Even our HWS is similiar to gen1 EOtech of late 90s.

Meanwhile Chinese Nibbars going full logical with a single calibre weapon in the whole squad, also has a dmr role weapons concept unlike IA.
View attachment 2868
And here is IA, with 7.62 AK, 7.62 NATO, 5.56 NATO all in a single company or battalion.

Buying boths sigs and AKs never made any sense anywhere.

Also, Chinese have started issuing these new weapons enmass and they already come with optics, thermal sights and gripods.
View attachment 2869

It seems every single country that adopted bullpups has abandoned them. UK, France, China, Australia, New Zealand, even Israel has gone back to M4's over Tavors.

Lots of new awesome desi Pistols in the market, but the irony is getting a permit for the same, which is next to impossible. In Manipur getting a shotgun permit is quite easy as you pay around 25k but for a Pistol permit about 1.5 lac and that also 50-50% chances, Imagine other parts of India.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back