DRDO and PSU's

Isn't the same thing happened to lca too but later it was salvaged and orders were placed
Right now they are doing same to prachand and atags ad decade after when thease are out dated they will say thease are out dated we need post cold war era apache and athos
Nah, LCA wasn't ready to serve as a frontline interceptor in all honesty until recently as opposed to Nag and NAMICA.

any one remembers why DRDO/IAF did not go the kit direction in design for LRGB (gaurav and gautham)?
or in other words, why was sudharshan concept not further explored?

this would be around 2013..
It's hard to get data on why an internal project of DRDO got cancelled like how many of us even knew that once there existed a 7.62x42mm cartridge project, let alone it's cancellation.

But my guess would be that a laser guided bomb (either custom or kit based) doesn't have much use in our case where both of our adversaries are near-peer.

There's no point for a plane to remain on station inside enemy territory so that the WSO can keep the target illuminated or insert a bunch of Para-SFs with laser designator or even risk our already scarce UAVs to Pak/Chinese ADS...when we can achieve the same results using GPS guided one's and that too from a stand-off range (remember, LGBs can't have a stand-off launch). Given how low cost MEMS based INS have gotten more precise and FOG ones cheaper, we can now replicated the CEP of LGBs with GPS guided one's because end of day no one was using a 500kg LGB on a moving target. Moving target is the only place where a LGB beats a GPS guided.

Nowadays laser guided bombs are only useful where the adversary is more or less a COIN type scenario; not a LSCO. Like Turkey dropping LGBs on Syrian rebels or US engaging ISIS targets.

Nah, LCA wasn't ready to serve as a frontline interceptor in all honesty until recently as opposed to Nag and NAMICA.
For that time lca was good now mk1a is even better even lca mk2 dominates jf 17 just berter weapon package was missing now this gap is also filled

It's hard to get data on why an internal project of DRDO got cancelled like how many of us even knew that once there existed a 7.62x42mm cartridge project, let alone it's cancellation.

But my guess would be that a laser guided bomb (either custom or kit based) doesn't have much use in our case where both of our adversaries are near-peer.

There's no point for a plane to remain on station inside enemy territory so that the WSO can keep the target illuminated or insert a bunch of Para-SFs with laser designator or even risk our already scarce UAVs to Pak/Chinese ADS...when we can achieve the same results using GPS guided one's and that too from a stand-off range (remember, LGBs can't have a stand-off launch). Given how low cost MEMS based INS have gotten more precise and FOG ones cheaper, we can now replicated the CEP of LGBs with GPS guided one's because end of day no one was using a 500kg LGB on a moving target. Moving target is the only place where a LGB beats a GPS guided.

Nowadays laser guided bombs are only useful where the adversary is more or less a COIN type scenario; not a LSCO. Like Turkey dropping LGBs on Syrian rebels or US engaging ISIS targets.

was thinking of strap on guidance kit attached to a dumb bomb aspect of sudharshan, not the laser guidance part.

is there any public information on at what stage munition is loaded into current LRGB? at the factory or at the airbase. or we can just to wait for IAF to release it in some video.

priority has been given to streamlined surface i.e range, that bit is obvious.
1725983970784.png

was thinking of strap on guidance kit attached to a dumb bomb aspect of sudharshan, not the laser guidance part.

is there any public information on at what stage munition is loaded into current LRGB? at the factory or at the airbase. or we can just to wait for IAF to release it in some video.

priority has been given to streamlined surface i.e range, that bit is obvious.
View attachment 9001
How is Gautham different from a HSLD 450 fitted with a PGHSLD 500 kit
Why develop 1 specific bomb for 1 specific use case, instead shouldn't we go for a more modular approach like the Americans.
they have Dumb Mk 80 series bombs and JDAM/ JDAM ER kits which due to their modularity make the logistics easier and give USAF more flexibility.

1725985350383.png
1725985405565.png

This also got me thinking why isn't there a HSLD 1000 (Indian Mk 84)

Good job @ezsasa @Pundit Pikachu
Now allow me, I also want to contribute my part in this whole mess

This was the latest pic of Gaurav from Adani's manufacturing facility
GWFEdg1aIAAjW-y.jpg
See how the "bomb" is made up of three sections, it's kind of unusual. Also the fact that the wings are directly attached to the body instead of using some kind of strap to tie it, like in JDAM-ER.
Don't know why but it seems like they're making a custom warheads for Gautam/Gaurav instead of adding kits to existing bombs like JDAM or JDAM-ER

And the fact that both 1000kg and 500kg are mentioned to have the same dimensions of 4x0.6m also feels weird.

We should really move on to long range NLOS Atgm missiles from the Nag missiles class for NAMICA concept like vehicles. It would serve as tactical long fires as well as counter artillery missions as well.
We have 20km ranged LOBL-LOAL Heli-launched versions for that, lon& range should be married to a fast & flying platform that can swiftly reach where-when needed... Not a defenseless crawler.

IMO the only place NAMICA's 8-packed launcher set belong is on static mounts along LOC. Maybe maritime use too, Coastguard Patrol boats.
mk-vi-patrol-boat-jamg-sea-air-space-2021-1024x768.jpg.webp

Indeed .. when the Chinese have aft10 with nlos hj10s already available namica is straight up obsolete .

Hj10 ke double range hy Halina ka

Last edited:
Was feeling bit cute so went through specifications of as many 8x8 as possible. Turns out there's just one 8x8 IFV whose weight is "upto 40000kg"; Arma, made by the Turkish firm Otokar.
otokar_Kazakhstan_Arma_8_X8_Tur_Def_eeaaf2f4ed.jpg
Here's a side by side picture of specifications of L&T's Aquila and Otokar's Arma for absolutely no reasons.
InCollage_20240910_235651656.jpg

any one remembers why DRDO/IAF did not go the kit direction in design for LRGB (gaurav and gautham)?
or in other words, why was sudharshan concept not further explored?

this would be around 2013..
If I am remembering it correctly, it had stability issues after release. It was taken back to drawing board then it just disappeared or was discontinued.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back