DRDO and PSU's

After closing down drdo 360° AWACS program imported airforce is putting out RFI for 360° AWACS lol. In short they are asking for foreign system .

View: https://x.com/alpha_defense/status/1840048847671963784?t=G1w0oNc3o76UxB5s1kELHw&s=19

Wah re dalaali.

Wait what tf. So the new airbus based awacs program is shut downed. When did this happen.
Or you talking abt idli like platforms.
Okay I get drdo's making the a 320' degree coverage platform.
This bigots are such a dalal mc.

Wait what tf. So the new airbus based awacs program is shut downed. When did this happen.
Or you talking abt idli like platforms.
Okay I get drdo's making the a 320' degree coverage platform.
This bigots are such a dalal mc.
No I guess he is talking about avro based 360° awacs
Which got crashed and project was shut

If we give very big order of c 17 is there possiblty that its production can be re started
Only if somehow we can pool 4-5 countries and make them order C-17s too. By just ourselves we don't have the money and the foresight* to place a significant order.

*we can easily make a KC-17, an E-17 and a B-17 from that C-17 to cover all our needs for next few decades.

Ordering something is expensive.
Ordering something when economies of scale is not fully achieved is more expensive.
But ordering something when the production line has closed is expensive even for a country like Murica or otherwise they'd have started production of improved F-22 as a stopgap till NGAD long ago.

Only if somehow we can pool 4-5 countries and make them order C-17s too. By just ourselves we don't have the money and the foresight* to place a significant order.

*we can easily make a KC-17, an E-17 and a B-17 from that C-17 to cover all our needs for next few decades.

Ordering something is expensive.
Ordering something when economies of scale is not fully achieved is more expensive.
But ordering something when the production line has closed is expensive even for a country like Murica or otherwise they'd have started production of improved F-22 as a stopgap till NGAD long ago.
With how much c 17 is used by us even in limited numbers if we had it in big numbers it would solve alot of problems

If we give very big order of c 17 is there possiblty that its production can be re started
Think 50-60 birds for Boeing to even show interest. Also I'm guessing babus would want this production line in India. Which requires airlifting the defunct plant to India. We can do it, but it'll be ridiculously expensive. Also there is this minor "problem" with the Pratt & Whitney F117 engines, which the US congress will never clear for production in India (as ToT will also be involved with an order this massive), as they do with anything P&W makes. Which means asking Rolls-Royce for an engine and getting it certified on a testbed C-17. Then we'll ask for India-specific "enhancements", which will further convolute this already complicated process.

No I guess he is talking about avro based 360° awacs
Which got crashed and project was shut
1000021777.jpg
This ig then netra was better approach.
I would say now is the time for 360' idli on airbus. Today it is possible. But I don't understand then why did airforce first ask drdo to build a netra like platforms with a big nose mounted radar.
And a netra mk1 like on dorsal side.
1000021781.jpg
But then now why this UN airmarshals want a 360' dome awacs. They already gave there requirements which were a platform like seen above ?

Anyways here are some avro idli pics.
It was better that they stopped this program and initiated netra but unfortunately genrols being un genrols they do nothing better. Did not order in enough. Cherry on top the firm was also blacklisted. Even then they could have procured second hand platforms to make netra.
Avro was very unstable the radome collapsed and caused the it crash in 1999. After this netra was initiated a bit late though.
The question is why do they want a 360' now why did they Ask drdo for a nose mounted + netra like platforms instead.

Attachments

• 54-In-1996-India-attempted-to-mount-AWACS-on-an-ASP-Avro.jpg
    54-In-1996-India-attempted-to-mount-AWACS-on-an-ASP-Avro.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FDknH1rVEAgYgKA.jpeg
    FDknH1rVEAgYgKA.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FDknIrJVQAMcsJR.jpeg
    FDknIrJVQAMcsJR.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 10734
This ig then netra was better approach.
I would say now is the time for 360' idli on airbus. Today it is possible. But I don't understand then why did airforce first ask drdo to build a netra like platforms with a big nose mounted radar.
And a netra mk1 like on dorsal side.
View attachment 10736
But then now why this UN airmarshals want a 360' dome awacs. They already gave there requirements which were a platform like seen above ?

Anyways here are some avro idli pics.
It was better that they stopped this program and initiated netra but unfortunately genrols being un genrols they do nothing better. Did not order in enough. Cherry on top the firm was also blacklisted. Even then they could have procured second hand platforms to make netra.
Avro was very unstable the radome collapsed and caused the it crash in 1999. After this netra was initiated a bit late though.
The question is why do they want a 360' now why did they Ask drdo for a nose mounted + netra like platforms instead.
UN genrols always had requirement for completely imported 360 rotating radome
As the avro project got discontinued they got chance to import
But it wasn't cost sustainable that's why cheaper netra mk1 was made
And netra mk2 was obvious choice coz that's the only thing closer production and established supply chain that's why a good decision
Infact drdo continued the development of 360° rotating radome let's see if they integrate that on a platform

UN genrols always had requirement for completely imported 360 rotating radome
As the avro project got discontinued they got chance to import
But it wasn't cost sustainable that's why cheaper netra mk1 was made
And netra mk2 was obvious choice coz that's the only thing closer production and established supply chain that's why a good decision
Infact drdo continued the development of 360° rotating radome let's see if they integrate that on a platform
Nah they want more A-50s.

I think people are taking this news the wrong way, from what I understand this RFI does not mean Netra Mk1A or Netra Mk 2 are abandoned, because Netra MK 2 already have CCS sanction and Netra Mk 1A is also DAC approved and L1 is already chosen for the project (If I am not it was Adani's Alpha Design Technologies Ltd)
Instead in my opinion a new AEW&C a "Netra Mk 3" if you will for post 2030 is in the making

Nah they want more A-50s.
The last time the IAF approached the MoD , the proposal for 2 such systems worth ~1 billion USD was shot down for high costs ostensibly by the MoF.

Now they're asking for 6 nos , that too the Russians are ruled out & given the sensitivity of the project so will Boeing which leaves Airbus.

Then apart from procurement there's the issue of modification & testing. It's a 10 year long project. Meanwhile I wonder if they plan to upgrade the existing Phalcons in our inventory. They're already close to 2 decades old. Why isn't this on the IAF's priority list ?

The last time the IAF approached the MoD , the proposal for 2 such systems worth ~1 billion USD was shot down for high costs ostensibly by the MoF.

Now they're asking for 6 nos , that too the Russians are ruled out & given the sensitivity of the project so will Boeing which leaves Airbus.

Then apart from procurement there's the issue of modification & testing. It's a 10 year long project. Meanwhile I wonder if they plan to upgrade the existing Phalcons in our inventory. They're already close to 2 decades old. Why isn't this on the IAF's priority list ?
It's would most likely be a Airbus A330 based Netra Mk 3, with a new 4D radar, instead of the current 3D Radar present they were earlier designed with

Basically this but with a new 4D radar.
1727647719272.png

Also I don't think it would be a particularly difficult project given the studies of this variant were already near completion,
All they need to do right now is to pickup this old project and just rework the radar and leave everything else as it is because they themselves had already taken care of everything else earlier.

1727648022831.png
1727648059332.png
1727648095684.png
1727648126183.png

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back