Indian Culture and society

Udi baba ! As per this article the Bengali language owes a lot to the Portuguese. What's more , popular Bengali delicacies like rosogulla is also courtesy the Portuguese.

Wonder how will the Baudhijibbi Bhadralok take this bit of discovery. Just for confirmation , the author appears to be of Marwari descent .
Mate i had a bengali colleague who was at pains to explain and prove it to firangis that Bengali is derrived/heavily influenced by English.

Mate i had a bengali colleague who was at pains to explain and prove it to firangis that Bengali is derrived/heavily influenced by English.
He must be sleeping with Niradbabu's "Autobiography of an unknown Indian ," under his pillow. How good is it can be gauged from the fact that Churchill considered it one of best autobiographies he ever read.

This is what V.S.Naipaul had to say of it & by extension Nirad C Chaudhari , "No better account of the penetration of the Indian mind by the West—and by extension, of the penetration of one culture by another—will be or now can be written.

Share it with your colleague.

View: https://youtu.be/ThBmAKqONCg?si=3FqXZzVo7LV9JQRu

IMG_20240724_020514.jpg

What Wiki doesn't capture , this little informative post from the comments section of the aforementioned song on YT does to add to the tidbits of information on Lord Shorty the inventor of Soca , Chutney & Jamoo musical styles from Trinidad & Tobago.

Incidentally this song & its tune was ripped off for a Rishi Kapoor blockbuster movie Karz which in turn was remade as Karzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz starring the one & only Himessssssssss. Wonder what happened to him after Karzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bombed.

View: https://youtu.be/ThBmAKqONCg?si=3FqXZzVo7LV9JQRu

View attachment 4024

What Wiki doesn't capture , this little informative post from the comments section of the aforementioned song on YT does to add to the tidbits of information on Lord Shorty the inventor of Soca , Chutney & Jamoo musical styles from Trinidad & Tobago.

Incidentally this song & its tune was ripped off for a Rishi Kapoor blockbuster movie Karz which in turn was remade as Karzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz starring the one & only Himessssssssss. Wonder what happened to him after Karzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bombed.

Woah never knew Rishi Kapoor's Om Shanti Om was ripped. Catchy song.

I found out recently Mehbooba from Sholay is also a rip off.

Actually I hada rare english punjab history book written by a westerner during the reigns of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. He details lush dense forest of northwest (in around Punjab .. my guess northen Punjab) which had Elephants, rhinos along with tigers.

After 1857 revolt, deforestation at massive scale was carried out by Brits, so that they dont become another reuge for mutineers.

The term 'Durbar' refers to courts and assemblies of Indian rulers and the British. It lost relevance after India became a Republic, that is, ‘Ganatantra’. The concept of ‘Ganatantra’ is deeply rooted in Indian society since the ancient times, making ‘Ganatantra Mandap’ an apt name for the venue.

‘Ashok Mandap’ brings uniformity in language and removes the traces of anglicisation while upholding the key values associated with the word 'Ashok'.

‘DURBAR HALL’ AND ‘ASHOK HALL’ RENAMED AS ‘GANATANTRA MANDAP’ AND ‘ASHOK MANDAP’ RESPECTIVELY​

Actually I hada rare english punjab history book written by a westerner during the reigns of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. He details lush dense forest of northwest (in around Punjab .. my guess northen Punjab) which had Elephants, rhinos along with tigers.

After 1857 revolt, deforestation at massive scale was carried out by Brits, so that they dont become another reuge for mutineers.
The land of Punjab was always thus. I recall reading TI (?) IIRC about similar descriptions of the land of the 5 rivers in the Mahabharata. Whatever we're seeing in the Punjab today on both sides of the Radcliffe line is a recent phenomenon not even 2 centuries old initiated since British times.

The latter had also begun plans for digging canals which eventually became the canal colony settlements turning Punjab especially west or what's now Paxtani Punjab into the bread basket of India.

The choice itself was no coincidence. Since the 1857 war of independence , the British learnt their lessons quickly & saw the population there as mostly loyal particularly the Sikhs & the Punjabi Musalmans who also served as the catchment areas for foot soldiers in the Royal Indian Army as opposed to the Purabiyas who were directly responsible for the events of 1857 .

A bonus move was to award agricultural lands to ex servicemen which were mostly tax free (?) thus securing their loyalties even beyond retirement. Incidentally Punjabi Hindus were barred from recruitment as per the martial race theory itself a BS theory for when have Punjabi Musalmans ever exhibited any martial prowess .

If they did they wouldn't be Musalmans to begin with . Since recruitment as per the martial race theory was restricted to Sikhs & Muslims , a lot of what were otherwise Hindu Jats & non Jats converted to Sikhi in order to be able to enlist .

IIRC TI also did a thread on this phenomenon a long time ago on Twitter. Apparently a very small percentage of the Sandhu Jats were Sikhs then. An overwhelming majority of them were Hindu with a small minority Muslim & Sikh. The martial race theory saw this clan convert mostly to Sikhi . This was also true of a few other clans of Jat & non Jat Hindu origin .

What this did to the demographic balance there & the repercussions of this move on the Khalistani movement today can well be imagined & these events are not even 150 years old.

This move served to reward one section of the populace while condemning another section to destitution & poverty. Post independence India also saw governments follow the same route to boosting economic prosperity while neglecting the Indo Gangetic plains.

Results are before our eyes.

The land of Punjab was always thus. I recall reading TI (?) IIRC about similar descriptions of the land of the 5 rivers in the Mahabharata. Whatever we're seeing in the Punjab today on both sides of the Radcliffe line is a recent phenomenon not even 2 centuries old initiated since British times.

The latter had also begun plans for digging canals which eventually became the canal colony settlements turning Punjab especially west or what's now Paxtani Punjab into the bread basket of India.

The choice itself was no coincidence. Since the 1857 war of independence , the British learnt their lessons quickly & saw the population there as mostly loyal particularly the Sikhs & the Punjabi Musalmans who also served as the catchment areas for foot soldiers in the Royal Indian Army as opposed to the Purabiyas who were directly responsible for the events of 1857 .

A bonus move was to award agricultural lands to ex servicemen which were mostly tax free (?) thus securing their loyalties even beyond retirement. Incidentally Punjabi Hindus were barred from recruitment as per the martial race theory itself a BS theory for when have Punjabi Musalmans ever exhibited any martial prowess .

If they did they wouldn't be Musalmans to begin with . Since recruitment as per the martial race theory was restricted to Sikhs & Muslims , a lot of what were otherwise Hindu Jats & non Jats converted to Sikhi in order to be able to enlist .

IIRC TI also did a thread on this phenomenon a long time ago on Twitter. Apparently a very small percentage of the Sandhu Jats were Sikhs then. An overwhelming majority of them were Hindu with a small minority Muslim & Sikh. The martial race theory saw this clan convert mostly to Sikhi . This was also true of a few other clans of Jat & non Jat Hindu origin .

What this did to the demographic balance there & the repercussions of this move on the Khalistani movement today can well be imagined & these events are not even 150 years old.

This move served to reward one section of the populace while condemning another section to destitution & poverty. Post independence India also saw governments follow the same route to boosting economic prosperity while neglecting the Indo Gangetic plains.

Results are before our eyes.
Azaad id possible do create a thread and deposit this information with if possible source. The thread name should be Irreversible Ecological/Cultural Damage by Colonialism.

I wish we could have Tags with threads which could allow them to be indexed by Search Engine.

Azaad id possible do create a thread and deposit this information with if possible source. The thread name should be Irreversible Ecological/Cultural Damage by Colonialism.

I wish we could have Tags with threads which could allow them to be indexed by Search Engine.
I don't have the original source material. True Indology had a lot of ids then not all of which are functional as on today. Then there's the issue of scouring through his T/L which is time consuming. But if I do come across it , I'd definitely link it here .

I don't have the original source material. True Indology had a lot of ids then not all of which are functional as on today. Then there's the issue of scouring through his T/L which is time consuming. But if I do come across it , I'd definitely link it here .
Yes True Indology tweets should screen shooted and be pasted in a thread of his own. Invite him and his team to that thread if possible.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back