Kaveri Engine

The good news I want to hear is that serious, timely efforts are being made to get the Kaveri engine for Mk1A finished and into production. It has drifted along for too many decades and now we see an unfortunate result of that - Mk1A cannot be built in the numbers required due to a lack of engines.

The good news I want to hear is that serious, timely efforts are being made to get the Kaveri engine for Mk1A finished and into production. It has drifted along for too many decades and now we see an unfortunate result of that - Mk1A cannot be built in the numbers required due to a lack of engines.
Now it will happen, govt now knows engine is most important now.

Now it will happen, govt now knows engine is most important now.
I wonder what aircraft India will buy as a matter of necessity if the F404 engine supply is way below 20 a year in 2026,2027.2028. Kaveri production will be zero a year until the next decade.

well i am hoping GE will play this little game with GE414 Engine too.
it is when we push to the wall then we find solution.
government will not wake up until they find that indignation is the only option left.
What good engine can replace 98kN F414? EJ200 is 90kN, M-88 is 75kN. Kaveri might be 80kN. I don't see a replacement.

Last edited:
I wonder what aircraft India will buy as a matter of necessity if the F404 engine supply is way below 20 a year in 2026,2027.2028. Kaveri production will be zero a year until the next decade.

What good engine can replace 98kN F414? EJ200 is 90kN, M-88 is 75kN. Kaveri might be 80kN. I don't see a replacement.

We are talking about replacing F404 now. Once we get that going, we can add a section to the Kaveri engine and get up to 98kN. That's how GE got F414

We are talking about replacing F404 now. Once we get that going, we can add a section to the Kaveri engine and get up to 98kN. That's how GE got F414
Too late for Mk1A. HAL is supposed to produce over 80 in the next 5 years. Kaveri needs to be finished, tested ,certified, put into production, Mk1A modified to take the engine then tested and certified before any engines can be used in Mk1A production.

Mk2 will need production engines coming off the line by early 2030's at the latest for What realistically are the chances of that happening?

Too late for Mk1A. HAL is supposed to produce over 80 in the next 5 years. Kaveri needs to be finished, tested ,certified, put into production, Mk1A modified to take the engine then tested and certified before any engines can be used in Mk1A production.

Mk2 will need production engines coming off the line by early 2030's at the latest for What realistically are the chances of that happening?

We don’t have a choice. Only way to is pour massive resources and overtime to get it done within the timeframe.

We don’t have a choice. Only way to is pour massive resources and overtime to get it done within the timeframe.
lets say we spend 1-2 billion $ to save the deliveries of 100-150 airframes in the future i would say its worth it we can upgrade the engine anytime too

The Kaveri engine will never work. It is better to join South Korea in 50-50 deal with intellectual property rights.
Does GTRE have useful knowledge it can contribute to a joint venture? Knowledge that ROK already has is not useful in this context. Another aspect to co-development is practicality. I have the impression that KAI is a dynamic organisation. Hanwha may be similar in nature. If ROK wants to develop an engine in around 10 years it may be able to do so on its own. I think that India's track record in development shows it is anything but dynamic, so its involvement would risk slowing engine development.

Apart from funding and economies of scale in production, what benefit would Indian involvement bring?

Last edited:
Stop blackpilling about the Kaveri program. It will work once we stop giving it the bastard or stepchild treatment and give it proper support.
You say 'it will work'. It did not work and was abandoned. What changes are needed in project management to get it working and into production in a timely manner?

You say 'it will work'. It did not work and was abandoned. What changes are needed in project management to get it working and into production in a timely manner?

Finding a partner to upgrade and dumping the project management team have been recommended remedies to bring back Kaveri engine.

It didn't work because it was funded with peanuts. I remember reading on old DFI that the Indian engine was better than the Chinese engine despite the Chinese engine being fully funded. I think Kaveri could work within 5 years if it gets funding

It didn't work because it was funded with peanuts. I remember reading on old DFI that the Indian engine was better than the Chinese engine despite the Chinese engine being fully funded. I think Kaveri could work within 5 years if it gets funding
Sure, one country has some kinda product out there and other meaning us has zilch so far and with blunder after blunder and partnering with unreliable proven backstabbing colonial type powers once again, Tejas is handicapped too with delays.....fantasizing about high tech lumber 1 western engines and smoky rd-33 and what not but we end up with nothing that actually matters to do one thing which is our ability to fight when necessary. These kinda statements don't deserve a comment. If we take statements from this forum then China ia another banana republic and we have nothing to fear as their equipment just farts and falls down when ignition is turned on.

Funding alone does not deliver. Talent, willing to learn elsewhere and purchase whatever you cannot do and finally good project management will do the job.

I still recommend that all these developments be privatized to introduce, discipline, accountability and responsibility. Right now it operates as government department with everything mentioned above missing.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back