Kaveri Engine

I gather that it is proposed to flight test Kaveri AB version on a Tejas frame. Obviously not a good idea (no redundancy). Why can't it be tested on a Russian FTB, as was done 15(?) years ago? Cost?

Comparing Kaveri engine to some similar good engines & also F-22's F119

View attachment 6658

I made a concurrent graph bringing all parameters of Kaveri to 100 & then adjusting other engines in same ratio, so now we can see what other engines have their parameters less or more.

View attachment 6562

This is a common person's approach - given a particular cylindrical space, how much air can be sucked in & thrust generated per unit engine volume.

Values near the 100 line with less deviation :
> The Turbine inlet temp. of other engines is just 100-200 K more.
> Dry SFC, except for F119 which is unusually low.
> Compressor + Turbine stages just b/w 10-12.
- EJ-200 has 1 less HPC stage yet its OPR is more than M-88-2 & Kaveri & equal to F119.
- Increasing 1 HPC stage in F414 increases OPR to 30.
> Engine length 349-399 cm. I wonder - after flame holder, how long should be a tail pipe.
> Dry thrust b/w 50-60 KN.
> Air mass flow of others is lesser, except F119 obviously.

Big variations :
> Parameters much higher :
- BPR of all engines is more, especially EJ-200 enabling EF-2000 to SuCr @ Mach 1.5. The F119 BPR is same as of M-88-2 but F-22 SuCr at M 1.8 but Rafale at M 1.4, although there are other design parameters also.
- Dry thrust/engine-weight of M-88-2 & EJ-200 are significantly high.
- Also the dry thrust/engine-volume.
> Parameters much lower :
- Inlet diameter/area, except F119
- Engine volume, except F119
- Engine weight, except F119

So what to do with Kaveri Engine?
> Change BPR from 0.16 to b/w 0.25 & 0.4
> Increase OPR by increasing 1 more HPC stage or re-engineer blades of current stages.
> Increase SFC little bit.
> Decrease engine weight.
> Re-engineer Afterburner & nozzle sections.
That's all an enthusiast can say :peep::scared1:

This is good work.

The under 1 Ton weight of M-88 is engineering marvel. The weight of Kaveri also was reduced from 1400 KG during prototype to the current 1180 KG. Any idea about what efforts are being put to further reduce it to under 1 Ton?

This is good work.

The under 1 Ton weight of M-88 is engineering marvel. The weight of Kaveri also was reduced from 1400 KG during prototype to the current 1180 KG. Any idea about what efforts are being put to further reduce it to under 1 Ton?
Can you give a source for this ? The 1400 Kg is quoted a lot on the webs.

The CAG report mentions the initial weight of 1400 KG

The Current 1180 KG weight is mentioned on one of the PDF documents on DRDO website. (its clippings of various news articles)

The 1180kg is in reference to the non afterburning version not the original one though.

The 1180kg is in reference to the non afterburning version not the original one though.
Something's amiss. If the dry Kaveri version weighs ~ 1200 kgs how much is it supposed to weigh with the AFB ? 1600 kgs ? That's nearly twice the weight of the M-88.

Something's amiss. If the dry Kaveri version weighs ~ 1200 kgs how much is it supposed to weigh with the AFB ? 1600 kgs ? That's nearly twice the weight of the M-88.
Without more information I cannot tell for sure. Perhaps the lack of an afterburner necessitates some extra components . The weight of the kaveri is already mentioned it's 1400kgs

I doubt this is true. Can you give some source on this? I remember in one of the recent videos Alpha Defence also mentioned that the weight with after burner is 1180 KG.

I doubt this is true. Can you give some source on this? I remember in one of the recent videos Alpha Defence also mentioned that the weight with after burner is 1180 KG.
The source is literally the one you posted lol. page 4
64b9beb3-0cc4-4768-bd91-48a9780e62da.png

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back