DRDO and PSU's

Maintaining a one way drone?

Performance will only be affected a little ig

THere are LOAL ATGMS also, with fibre guidance... This could be used as a poor man's version of the same, non jammable as well.

Not saying there isnt a drawback here (cost is a big one) but it can be usefull, so I dont see the need to dismiss this outright.
Tradeoff's I listed in the context of software and hardware that you mentioned as your experience.

Similar things factor into every domain for instance I work in manufacturing and somethings that are obvious to people that are not in that domain won't make sense to experienced people managing assembly lines.

Use is always there in point solutions and improvisations but they are tiresome and limited in most cases. Better solutions are generally systematic and have some continuity to it. For instances cages are improvisations but better solutions generally want to solve the problem by not adding weight or taking out visibility or other aspects.

Wire guidance isn't good for networked battle management and there are many other aspects.

Anyone having the pic of doc or info mentioning development of a survelliance radar for Indian Navy ships by drdo akin to Lanza radars or thales lw-08 air search radars. I am not talking about the SBR which we are developing and is akin to MF STAR.

Or maybe I am recalling a false memory but just recently somewhere read that they took a project for the search radar for ships.

Anyone having the pic of doc or info mentioning development of a survelliance radar for Indian Navy ships by drdo akin to Lanza radars or thales lw-08 air search radars. I am not talking about the SBR which we are developing and is akin to MF STAR.

Or maybe I am recalling a false memory but just recently somewhere read that they took a project for the search radar for ships.
Yeah, it was mentioned somewhere. Sadly, I am not able to find out where. It was a ASR.

LIGHT BULLET-PROOF JACKET DEVELOPED BY DRDO.
DRDO has developed the Bullet Proof Jacket (BPJ) consisting of lightest Front Hard Armour Panel (FHAP). This jacket has been developed in two configuration viz. In-Conjunction-With (ICW) and Standalone with different areal density of FHAP. The Bullet Proof Jacket has been developed under DRDO project. The process to transfer the developed technology to Indian Industries has been initiated as per Transfer of Technology (ToT) Policy and procedure of DRDO for production.

This BPJ is based upon new design approach, where novel material along-with new processes have been used. This BPJ confirms BIS standard 17051 and therefore, it is the lightest BPJ of level 6 with approx. weight of 10.1 kg for medium size, which enhances the wearability and comfort during the operation. This Jacket has also a unique feature of Quick Release Mechanism (QRM) along with other associated features. This BPJ will protect the soldier of Indian Armed Forces/ CAPFs from maximum possible threat of 7.62×54 R AP/ API rounds as on date.

LIGHT BULLET-PROOF JACKET DEVELOPED BY DRDO.
DRDO has developed the Bullet Proof Jacket (BPJ) consisting of lightest Front Hard Armour Panel (FHAP). This jacket has been developed in two configuration viz. In-Conjunction-With (ICW) and Standalone with different areal density of FHAP. The Bullet Proof Jacket has been developed under DRDO project. The process to transfer the developed technology to Indian Industries has been initiated as per Transfer of Technology (ToT) Policy and procedure of DRDO for production.

This BPJ is based upon new design approach, where novel material along-with new processes have been used. This BPJ confirms BIS standard 17051 and therefore, it is the lightest BPJ of level 6 with approx. weight of 10.1 kg for medium size, which enhances the wearability and comfort during the operation. This Jacket has also a unique feature of Quick Release Mechanism (QRM) along with other associated features. This BPJ will protect the soldier of Indian Armed Forces/ CAPFs from maximum possible threat of 7.62×54 R AP/ API rounds as on date.
Not really necessary imo, just make a 2-2.5 kg cheap ceramic plates to handle ap 5.56/ball 7.62*51, that's enough.

Hmmm so they found customer. Wasn't expecting.

Not really necessary imo, just make a 2-2.5 kg cheap ceramic plates to handle ap 5.56/ball 7.62*51, that's enough.

Hmmm so they found customer. Wasn't expecting.
Usual Indian L here, making QRs for the best while failing to even provide basic plate carrier with front and back protection.

When was the last time, IA have orders for BPJs and helmets? And this is why guys, we are not seeing more of such equipment with basic infantry formations not deployed in J&K especially. It's really a bizzare situation where adgpi will post pics of Indian infantry in fricking 2024 with equipment worse than some terrorist groups. Dare I say that even WW2 American and german infantry seems better equipped than our present situation. But I guess showing robo dogs and sh*t on modernisation bulls*t propaganda of IA twitter is more important, while such systems are surely not going to be inducted even in a decade time.

Ideally they should introduce a basic modular body Armor kit like the Russians and ukrainians are commonly seen in the current war, well their guards and vdv units do atleast. Depending on scenario they can remove hip, groin and side plates for least weight or not if max protection is needed.

1723466767080.png

Also when was the last time we ordered 2.5 lakhs BPJs like this and here I thought China was upon us and we need to hurry

Last edited:
MPATGM as it stands is a fine product for now, definitely better than konkurs and milan in every aspect.
Here are few observations-

Initial recoil looks light enough to give a thought about making MPATGM shoulder launched given that if they can reduce CLU weight to a minimum, current clu weight should be around 6-8kg as of now.
And really, 2.5km range MPATGM should not really require a tripod kinda system for a simple line of sight F&F system.
Maybe block2 of current MPATGM with even lighter overall system, there were already talks of reducing the current MPATGM weight sometimes earlier. Would be a great asset in mountain warfare.
Dont say there is also spike mr also tripod. Its production has been discontinued. LR version is the only MPATGM they are producing as of now.

2nd point being they should really look into a MPATGM with performance equivalent of spike lr2 and akeron mmp atgm.
F&F Tripod atgm system makes sense only when they have the ability for NLOS, BLOS and fire on coordinates capability, that capability provided through optic fibre attached between missile and launcher during flight and hence need for tripod for stability of operation.
Just see the use of ALMAS atgm (Iranian spike copy) by hezbollah against Israel, there are a lot of videos and just by seeing that, the benefit of non line of sight operation is simply just great.
Now that we have got spike lr with IA, they start to appreciate NLOS/BLOS strike capability and integrate it in a mass scale with dedicated even longer range munitions, also loitering munition can't compensate for these NLOS munitions, much higher speed+bigger warhead+instant support capability to forward troops.

View attachment 6379
That is why we need more people on defence forum.
I just simply don't understand how people can be expert of every goddamn thing in this country.
These guys need to shut their mouth and read the whole gamut of discussion on DFI and DFB to understand a little given that non engineering field guys would find it difficult to understand the technicality of a system. But then again YT audience is an Indian mango man and I guarantee you that a term like line of sight will take you multiple days to make them understand.
So just leave them there, let this forum take place in reason and logic. Otherwise somebody will post here saying that we should make agni based anti air missile with mirv for ultra long range mission and I will lose my mind.

For f*ck's sake man just induct it already, this thing is in the making for over 10 years now.

This project is a prime example of everything that is wrong with DRDO and Army.

Even after having prior experience with ATGM (from NAG project) it took these nincompoops 10 years to make an ATGM, and it's not even inducted yet.
I fear it will have the same fate as NAG, after completing it's Developmental trial by some miracle, it will fall short in Army trials and improvements would be demanded and the whole fuckin cycle of testing and trials will start all over again

For reference Turks started work on their Man portable ATGM at the same time, and theirs is already inducted in Turkish Land Forces

Here is a timeline of both the project to let you understand the gravity of their Incompetence.

MPATGMKaraok
Project Sanction20152016
Testing2018-20232020-22
User Trials2024- God Knows WhenNo clear Info
InductionGod knows WhenOrdered in 2022

Oh and the worst thing is this thing has the same range as Karaok even though it's Missile+CLU weight is 29kg and Karaok's is 16 kg

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back