DRDO and PSU's

Since the PIB release published yesterday that an updated seeker was tested, I think that the new Ku band aesa seeker may have been installed in Srsam.

View attachment 9312

The seeker has a 145 mm dia.
Aperture has a dia of 140 mm.
The seeker has 164 elements.

It has a range of 15 km for 4 sqm targets which is avg.

View attachment 9313

Astra builds the seeker.
Is it GaAs based ?

> wiki
> Astra Mk-II 160km
> Astra dual pulse, VL-SRSAM too
> but ground launched
> half it

This seems to be the most probable source of this 80km range.
No the 80km number was published by PIB.
While the actual number is 40km also saw it on dfi now forgot the source. However this is conflicting as drdo published astra mk1 has 21km range from sea level..

I think they must have downgraded the specs. For publication nobody publishes this dedicated altitude to range specs as far as I know..

While 80km figure I think it must have been just the distance missile travelled. Obviously if has range of 40km it won't fall off after that. Even though if it's not capable of munuevering or intercepting.
Just my speculation lol.

Also we can't say for sure the 110km range figures to true it could be more and the dimensions it posses it should be capable of more.

Also this range thingy always goes over my head is it about a missile with high enough energy for a distance to intercept or just a free long max distance travelled by missile ?
And why would they release so important numbers ? That's why our basis to judge vlsrsam goes wrong.

According to Mr Hemant Kumar Rout, Srsam has a 80 km range which I highly doubt
Astra mk1 has a 80-110 km range. So Srsam will have a range in the vicinity of 25-35 km. It may be a bit less because Srsam has a higher mass than Astra due to TVC assembly.

With today's morning test, Srsam has been tested for 8 times.
I think 40km is trustable figure.
Vlsrsam is longer missile to accomodate TVC they might have increased some fuel.
Or would have just kept it same for ease of logistics.

No the 80km number was published by PIB.
While the actual number is 40km also saw it on dfi now forgot the source. However this is conflicting as drdo published astra mk1 has 21km range from sea level..

I think they must have downgraded the specs. For publication nobody publishes this dedicated altitude to range specs as far as I know..

While 80km figure I think it must have been just the distance missile travelled. Obviously if has range of 40km it won't fall off after that. Even though if it's not capable of munuevering or intercepting.
Just my speculation lol.

Also we can't say for sure the 110km range figures to true it could be more and the dimensions it posses it should be capable of more.

Also this range thingy always goes over my head is it about a missile with high enough energy for a distance to intercept or just a free long max distance travelled by missile ?
And why would they release so important numbers ? That's why our basis to judge vlsrsam goes wrong.

I think 40km is trustable figure.
Vlsrsam is longer missile to accomodate TVC they might have increased some fuel.
Or would have just kept it same for ease of logistics.
Munuvers reduce missile range I think if missile goes flies straight without munuvers it will reach 80km mark.

They should try this booster or similar optimised one on vlsrsam that will result a dual pulse variant.
The vls system is 5m in height..
1000021216.jpg
1000021217.jpg

SRSAM has again been tested today.

There will be another round of test in the afternoon.

View: https://x.com/TheHemantRout/status/1834469924661596231

According to Mr Hemant Kumar Rout, Srsam has a 80 km range which I highly doubt.

Astra mk1 has a 80-110 km range. So Srsam will have a range in the vicinity of 25-35 km. It may be a bit less because Srsam has a higher mass than Astra due to TVC assembly.

With today's morning test, Srsam has been tested for 8 times.

Is SRSAM dual pulse, like Astra Mk2?
Because otherwise it won't need TVC. Fuel of BVRs go out quickly & after that it's flying on inertia... Only if it has a 2nd pulse at engagement ranges will TVC be in any use.

And if it is really dual-pulse based on Mk2 (because that's where TVC will have any effect) then it's original range should be near 150km. Saving some fuel for the 2nd burst, we can deduce it'll have a range of 50km+
Munuvers reduce missile range I think if missile goes flies straight without munuvers it will reach 80km mark.

They should try this booster or similar optimised one on vlsrsam that will result a dual pulse variant.
The vls system is 5m inh height..
1000021216.jpg

Quick question.. what's that SFDR looking SAM?

Last edited:

The vls system is 5m in height..
View attachment 9366
View attachment 9368
The VLS is 5m in height, but the cell is around 4m long. The rest is to divert the flow to uptake chambers.
GXR-UEvWgAA0c5x.jpg

Quick question.. what's that SFDR looking SAM?
Dude among all the tests happened of SFDR all were from ground. Basically for propulsion testing. The inbuild booster isn't enough to propell enough so that ramjet can kick in as it has to accelerate from zero and also against gravity so that's why this additional booster was added to send SFDR at a altitude after which nozzle less booster would burn giving it desired speed and then ramjet would take over.
With such booster we can extract bvr like ranges I suppose that booster was only meant to reach some altitude so that they can also test nozzle less booster. Drdo also talked abt the prospects of using this booster or similar for SFDR based sam.
I took the ratio from image turned out the booster length is 1.9m if missile lengths 3.84m.

Is SRSAM dual pulse, like Astra Mk2?
Because otherwise it won't need TVC. Fuel of BVRs go out quickly & after that it's flying on inertia... Only if it has a 2nd pulse at engagement ranges will TVC be in any use.

And if it is really dual-pulse based on Mk2 (because that's where TVC will have any effect) then it's original range should be near 150km. Saving some fuel for the 2nd burst, we can deduce it'll have a range of 50km+
Vlsrsam is last resort. As we say brahmos gives only 25 second window to intercept
So similarly it will be used against missile which has e penetrated lrsam cover via earth horizon after which it is detected by onboards radars as after 50-60km horizon isn't there so low flying missiles will detected. for example if it is sea skimming subsonic then the window is 60-80 seconds and vlsrsam can intercept that easily no need for TVC.

Now if it's a supersonic Chinese missile supposedly doing sea skimming resulting detection only after 50-60km due to horizon. which will give only a window of 25 seconds there this TVC will be helpful as this missiles are very fast and they do s munuvers in terminal phase.

So vlsrsam TVC has this job to do.
It will never be used instead of lrsam if hey had to intercept anything. If not last resort.

Last edited:
Drdo has started the development of 4 channel SDR for tejas mk2.
IMG_20240914_095222.jpg
It will have situational awareness software that will connect all the airborne & ground members. All the collected data will be shared & fused over the network to generate COP.

It is basically equivalent to Rafael global link.

IMG_20240914_095439.jpg

I know navy really want aircraft carrier but I think they should either wait few years and go for this emails and nuclear powered carrier or they should make sure we can add emals in sister ship of ins vikrant so it is future proof
Few years= 15 years. 5-6 years for developing a full-fledged EMALS with industrial partner + designing a Catobar Carrier. Then 9-10 years for construction of the ship. There is good case for Vikrant twin considering the fact that Vikramditya is not at it's best shape.

Few years= 15 years. 5-6 years for developing a full-fledged EMALS with industrial partner + designing a Catobar Carrier. Then 9-10 years for construction of the ship. There is good case for Vikrant twin considering the fact that Vikramditya is not at it's best shape.
No you don't have to design new ship from scratch just re design vikrant class carrier with emals or make it such way that we have option in future to add emals and by that time we would have tedbf in production or atleast in testing

No you don't have to design new ship from scratch just re design vikrant class carrier with emals or make it such way that we have option in future to add emals and by that time we would have tedbf in production or atleast in testing
With major redesigning it should accomodate emals but what abt power requirement ? Does vikrant have hybrid propulsion like brits developed which they're giving us.

Vayu lost their minds. This is what goes for "quality journalism" in Defense circles now. Absolutely shameful, and should be met with contempt.
Hence the role of quality forums with quality members like DFB becomes even more important. I really don't know from where I would have got real defence info without DFB/I

India's Pseudo-Satellite: Solar Plane That Can Fly For 90 Days At A Time​

The National Aerospace Laboratories said the final version will have a wingspan which will be as wide as an Airbus 320, but weigh only as much as a regular motorcycle.​

1726319144087.png

1726319125939.png

So somewhat related to missiles, how is that the israeli LORA is able to haul a half ton payload to 500km while only weighing in 1.6 Tons. Almost feel its like a magic or there is some hidden conditions or they had developed propellent so advanced and dense. Can someone answer me because the next tactical level missile i know of is Chinese DF-11, Iskander, Pralay, Korean Hyunmoo-2 all have some above 4 to 6 Tons weight with similar performance. I can't yet believe that the LORA is able to haul 500kg to 500km. Are they doing marketing jhumla? maybe the real warhead weight to reach 500km is only like 100 kg?

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back