DRDO and PSU's

U.S have their own SDR waveform, ESSOR(7 european countries) and India either have their own waveform or working on it.
Having your own waveforms is good, but I was hinting at features, a fully loaded hand held radio can cost upwards of $30k.

We have lots to catch up on even infantry level radios, not talking about special forces radios.

US has more then 20 waveforms, let’s not get into that mess

These days you can get encryption on most of the waveforms so as of now India doesn’t feel the need to have its own waveforms but moving away from DMR is hydra

Having your own waveforms is good, but I was hinting at features, a fully loaded hand held radio can cost upwards of $30k.

We have lots to catch up on even infantry level radios, not talking about special forces radios.

US has more then 20 waveforms, let’s not get into that mess

These days you can get encryption on most of the waveforms so as of now India doesn’t feel the need to have its own waveforms but moving away from DMR is hydra
the "catch up" is a permanent feature in India story, it is a opportunity cost that needs to paid because of paths not taken decades ago both in economics and national security.

IA's SDR RFP came out in 2022, that's what was being showcased.

last known info on IAF's efforts on research on waveform, is from a month back. probably DRDO has it's on track on waveform.

View: https://youtu.be/93NbwUkhyzI?t=2078

can you expand on this a bit .

Just like all other mediocrities, we have become too acclimatized to this one. "4th country after US, Russia, China" or "To soon join the exclusive club" have given us so much pride that we don't even yearn to become first.

You mentioned opportunity cost; it is no doubt a big reason why we're still archaic but in my opinion there's something even more important that we often exponentially overlook...the academia. Except for a few hundred people no one here even dreams to take up R&D.

Here's a little thought experiment.
Some 1.5 million candidates appear for JEE-Mains, ask them whether the reason they want to take this test is that they're deeply interested in a certain topic and want to use a certain department of a certain college to learn more or not. And then see how many answers in line with something like this "last year X department of this Y had the highest package of Z lpa, so that's why I wanna pursue technology"

We look at Northrop Grumman or Lockheed Martin with utter bewilderment that how come they think of F-117, B-2 and then at last console ourselves saying that they've a larger capital.
Yes they've, because firms there invest in academia. And this happens because MIT or CalTech works on ground breaking topics. It becomes a self sustaining cycle.

My usual brain rot yapping ends

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back