ASTRA BVRAAM

If it wouldn't have had impactful RCS reduction they would have never went with stealth pod for f18.
I would like to end here.
If you wanted to end there, you would leave out the snark.

Suffice to say, your reasoning has little weight, especially since the pods were never adopted (i.e. the navy did not think they would be a useful addition, as is obvious from the fact that the plane isn't meaningfully stealthy)

And it's isn't just about trusting me at my word. Open source rcs calculations exist, and geometrically, the rafale (when clean) is pretty close to su57. Even the typhoon, just because it has proper serpentine intakes, will have lower rcs than FA18.

Anyway, I agree this is an OT discussion, should probably be shifted to some other thread

Yes but I also said they're waiting for astra mk2.
Because that's the only reason I see they aren't ordering mk1as in masses. Or it could be like they did but kept it classified, reported smallers numbers of orders.
After 2026,27 astra mk2 will be in use as a affordable counterpart while astra mk3 will be mainstay of iaf.
Typical fight the future import airforce, instead of fight in the present ! Astra is better than old ruskie rusty missiles surely. So a 2k upfront order would be the way any sane airforce would do it, but no ! We want to keep importing and shafting our own always….great carry on herr Chandigarh gernails…carry on..

Typical fight the future import airforce, instead of fight in the present ! Astra is better than old ruskie rusty missiles surely. So a 2k upfront order would be the way any sane airforce would do it, but no ! We want to keep importing and shafting our own always….great carry on herr Chandigarh gernails…carry on..
A total of 350 + 248 have already been ordered. That's 600 missiles. Do you even know that only from Jan 2024 have deliveries begun?

I don't like this R&D which people engage in at slightest of imagined or unimagined events. Bhai, people are not fools. Especially those in the military. Some corruption exists, no doubt. But, if it was as prevalent as some folks like to believe, no Indian product would have seen the light of the day, let alone get an order for 600 units before even the capacity for bulk production is established.

Go and read mirage blues posts. You'll then maybe stop this sort of whining.

total of 350 + 248 have already been ordered. That's 600 missiles.
Very less, larger orders implies scale of production and quicker delivery, but of course dpsu also have their own babudom which slows the process. Production should be handed over to Pvt industry and orders should be larger. Just check the quality and speed at which Solar industry delivered compared to OFB shit.

No a2a missile will be imported now. Except some meteor order for Navy rafales. That too just an assumption
In long term rafale will get whole astra series.
No missiles will be ordered for mirage 2000 already enough stock.
Su30, Tejas will have Indian missiles only.
Mig29 will get Indian missiles too after upgrade

For CCM ngccm is on its way.
No foreign missile will be ordered.
STock of a2a missile is a critical number and I think is kept highly secretive.
So it could like we have already ordered in enough numbers.
I think some 125 astra can be made per yr.
I have even heard 200.
But for sure it's not less than 100

No a2a missile will be imported now. Except some meteor order for Navy rafales. That too just an assumption

I have even heard 200.
no i dont think so we still dont have a close range a2a missile (asraam category) if you take the best timeline i would say 2-3 years for development 1-2 year for trials 1 year for orders thats easily 5-6 years from the time the funds start
plus the astra mk3 and mk2 is still on testing phase i think they would still take time especially the mk3 then there is the anti awacs stsr varient that would take even more time so in short we wouldnt import the a2a in astra/mk2 category would import meteor till mk3 is ready for induction keep on inducting asraam till we make a missile of that category too

no i dont think so we still dont have a close range a2a missile (asraam category) if you take the best timeline i would say 2-3 years for development 1-2 year for trials 1 year for orders thats easily 5-6 years from the time the funds start
plus the astra mk3 and mk2 is still on testing phase i think they would still take time especially the mk3 then there is the anti awacs stsr varient that would take even more time so in short we wouldnt import the a2a in astra/mk2 category would import meteor till mk3 is ready for induction keep on inducting asraam till we make a missile of that category too
We have shitloads of stock of CCM in our inventory. We have mica, r73, (let's not consider r27)
And there is a reason why iaf integrated mica on su30 & Tejas. They're fielding stock of mica missiles who has limited us case for aircrafts. only mirage and rafales were carrying them.

They're in no mood to import any CCM.

ASRAAM / ngccm will take some time but no way for 5-6 yrs inflated number as we're just manufacturing already inducted missile with newer indigenous seeker some other indi. content.
And even for those 5-6 yrs they're not gonna import a CCM.

They didn't import python 5. & we kang for joos lobby.

I have even heard 200.
I think you will order some more MICA (probably MICA NG) for the Rafale fleet (at least Rafale M).
MICA is also made for short range combat, something ASTRA probably can't.

1656154695338.png
Astra Mk 3 specifications

Mass : 220kg
Length : 3838mm
Diameter : 178/200 mm
Warhead : Most likely High-explosive pre-fragmented HMX/PU
Altitude : 50m to 20km
Launch Speed : 0.8 - 2.2 mach
Interception Speed : 2.0 -3.6 mach
Range : 190 (at 8km altitude) to 340 km (20km altitude)
Angle of Attack : 20°
Midcourse Guidence : INS with 2 way data link
Terminal Guidence : Active Radar Homing

View attachment 4644
Astra Mk 3 specifications

Mass : 220kg
Length : 3838mm
Diameter : 178/200 mm
Warhead : Most likely High-explosive pre-fragmented HMX/PU
Altitude : 50m to 20km
Launch Speed : 0.8 - 2.2 mach
Interception Speed : 2.0 -3.6 mach
Range : 190 (at 8km altitude) to 340 km (20km altitude)
Angle of Attack : 20°
Midcourse Guidence : INS with 2 way data link
Terminal Guidence : Active Radar Homing
It seems weight is written as 218+2 kg.... Seems like that 2k is booster weight?

Exceptionally good missile IMO.

It seems weight is written as 218+2 kg.... Seems like that 2k is booster weight?
I don't think so, AFAIK this type of missiles don't use a booster, not to mention a 2 kg booster seems kinda small
I just wrote the all up weight of the missile, I don't really know what that +2 is really for

Meteor missile launch for reference 1:09 onwards

View: https://youtu.be/8dAmfVlcbp4?si=6ymTqFDpA5y-ah6e

Exceptionally good missile IMO
True.
We literally speed ran the whole BVR game and are working on next gen BVR missiles alongside giants like USA and China.

Anyways, weren't the Russians also working on a Astra Mk 3 equivalent, what happened to it.

We literally speed ran the whole BVR game and are working on next gen BVR missiles alongside giants like USA and China.

Anyways, weren't the Russians also working on a Astra Mk 3 equivalent, what happened to it.
Not really.
After all it is more a copy and paste of Meteor than something really new.... (sorry).

Not really.
After all it is more a copy and paste of Meteor than something really new.... (sorry).
I mean as a engineer you too know that copy paste in design mean nothing for product meant for strategic sector, you have to redo the whole testing, optimization routine based on materials you developed, requirements set by customer and your own inputs, basically just look similar but unless some miracle happened and mbda gave away meteor schematics for free, well that's a different story.

Not really.
Come On Man, didn't expect this from you.

Sure both use the same underlying technology of Throttleable Ducted Ramjet but that does not mean Astra Mk 3 is a copy of Meteor.

What Next, Astra Mk 2 is a copy paste of PL 15 because both use Dual Pulse Rocket Motor

We were working on SFDR long before 1st Rafale with Meteor ever landed on Indian Soil

Just a silly question
How many astra missiles have been ordered yet, I have seen a lot of sources saying different thing sone say we have ordered around 248 , some say its undisclosed and others its close to 400 and here its said its around 600. So can anyone provide credible sources abour our orders.

What does clearence to produce 200 astra means, didnt we already recieve and currently use the astra missiles ?

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back