Indian Economy

Food Subsidies & Social Welfare in India

It is puzzling and perplexing to watch Rahul Gandhi shout needlessly on behalf of the middle class. Tomorrow, he will be making noise on behalf of the poor. These outcries are political and far from the truth.

Over the past 20 years, including the Dr. Manmohan Singh era, both the poor and the middle class have been well taken care of. Let's first review India’s extensive welfare system, details of which are rarely highlighted in the media. Although this system was designed for the poor, the middle class has significantly benefited from it.

Under the National Food Security Act, the government spends $24 billion annually (Rs 2 trillion) on subsidized grain. Beneficiaries include 75% of the rural population and 50% of the urban population, which encompasses a substantial number of middle-class individuals. During the pandemic, the government spent $47 billion over three years (2020-23) on subsidized grain, with the middle class being significant beneficiaries.

The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, another substantial welfare program, sees the government spending about $11 billion to guarantee minimum wages to the rural unemployed. Here, the middle class is not the beneficiary.

With India's poverty rate now below 10%, the middle class has risen to 41% from 14% in 2005. This marks a substantial increase in the urban class population. Although poverty has not been eradicated, it is rapidly declining.

The McKinsey Global Institute, which defines India’s middle class as households with real annual disposable incomes between 200,000 and 1 million rupees ($3,606 to $18,031), estimates that the middle class has grown from 50 million in 2005 to over 250 million in 2015. By 2025, it is projected to more than double to 583 million—41 percent of the population. Hence Middle Class has progressed well.

With increasing national prosperity, politicians often push for more funds for their own agendas. Examples abound: farmers agitating for higher produce prices despite significant agricultural subsidies, the defense sector seeking unlimited cash for modern acquisitions, Andhra Pradesh requesting substantial funds to complete the new capital city at Amravati, Bihar pleading for more funds due to decades of mismanagement, and the ongoing need for ignored modernizing infrastructure like roads, rail, ports, and airports to remain competitive are a higher priority. Also when government cash boxes are opened for greater spending, politicians often seek to line their pockets with government cash, and the Congress Party is no stranger to it. Hence government spending should be kept in a low profile.

In the above financial equation, when you account for interest payments on national debt, salaries and pensions of government employees, healthcare subsidies, housing and other welfare schemes, and transfer payments to states and union territories, there is not much left to further support the 600 million middle class. Their hard work has already made them prosperous, and they benefit from many government schemes, so they are relatively well off.

If Rahul Gandhi truly understands what he's saying, he should be less vocal about pleas on behalf of the middle class, which appears to be a tactic to garner urban votes.

Counting billionaires is ok but look at the distribution of wealth too. China for a communist country seems to have a good distribution of Wealth between lower,middle and upper class India the middle class has just developed the last decade or so?

Attachments

• IMG_5188.png
    IMG_5188.png
    951.3 KB · Views: 18

India may take 75 years to reach one-quarter of US income per capita: World Bank
I have to argue .. The strength of the dollar is what is mostly responsible for this disparity . While the nominal conversion rate of 1USD is something like 80 something INR, 1 PPP USD is 20 something INR. Basically a 1 LPA dollars in USA is equal to 20 something LPA INR in India in terms of cost of living.
The strength of the dollar is held up by it's status as a reserve and trade currency and 75 years is more than enough time for this to change.

Counting billionaires is ok but look at the distribution of wealth too. China for a communist country seems to have a good distribution of Wealth between lower,middle and upper class India the middle class has just developed the last decade or so?

True

As the rich vs poor divide widens. More number of people will ditch India for greener pastures as Gov. focuses it's resource on social welfare rather than improving the urban infrastructure.

Any form of attempt towards wealth redistribution will only Fastrack the exodus.

Promoting industries with export as the primary target is the only solution I think. Supply chain integration with the global economy can fast-track wealth generation and sectors like Electronics, Textile & defence has huge untapped potential in this regard.

India may take 75 years to reach one-quarter of US income per capita: World Bank
even if its true, believe me india with one quarter of US income per capita is far better place to live. look at china there per capita per income is 6-7 times less than america, yet they r matching american living standard. america nd europe inflated their everything prices too much.

even if its true, believe me india with one quarter of US income per capita is far better place to live. look at china there per capita per income is 6-7 times less than america, yet they r matching american living standard. america nd europe inflated their everything prices too much.
I dont think china is matching US/Europe living standards lol. You just see the best of their cities online without knowing on the ground situation, besides a large portion of china are still villages that look like something out of a 3rd world country.

You can take a look at most QOL metrics like HDI and see china being far behind.

China has a habit of keeping it's billionaires in line.

I hope people remember how their most famous billionaire Jack Ma was treated by the CCP when CCP felt it was time to give him a reality check.

Can anyone dare to do that to the Ambanis in India?

I hope people remember how their most famous billionaire Jack Ma was treated by the CCP when CCP felt it was time to give him a reality check.

Hopefully we will be able to control Reliance once Mukesh passes away.

I dont think china is matching US/Europe living standards lol. You just see the best of their cities online without knowing on the ground situation, besides a large portion of china are still villages that look like something out of a 3rd world country.

You can take a look at most QOL metrics like HDI and see china being far behind.
i m specially talking about chinese cities. not whole china. did i anywhere said, at 6-7 times less per income capita chinese r ahead of america nd europe in economy? i said they r matching american/european "living standard". most (more than 50%) american living their life in checks nd credit cards.

Last edited:

Very true but distribution of wealth is a little more
Even . In India it is definetly concentrated to the very few.

Very true but distribution of wealth is a little more
Even . In India it is definetly concentrated to the very few.

The Gini coefficient is a number between 0 and 1, where 0 corresponds with perfect equality (where everyone has the same income) and 1 corresponds with perfect inequality (where one person has all the income—and everyone else has no income).

SmartSelect_20240804_194735_Brave.jpg

China has always been able to generate more high quality jobs for its lower and lower middle class and you see that being reflected in that graph. India tbh hasn't fared well in that regard. What we're doing right now w.r.t PLI schemes etc, they were doing that way back in the 90's itself.

Unemployment esp at the lower level causes a lot of social instability and the CCP top brass realize that very well since their legitimacy rests on it.

Can somebody give us the correct India’s GDP figures with financial year ending in March 2024. The western media especially the British media continues to publish 2022 figure while discussing Indian economy in 2024.

Please do it….

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back