CI/CT Operations

• Terrain - Dense, thick hilly temperate rainforest.
  • Demography - Hostile to semi-hostile.
  • Ideology - Islam (highest motivation).
  • Warfare type - Guerrila.
The closest example I can think of is - Vietnam ? Myanmar rebels ?
Not to mention, kit and gear wise we don’t have a singficant advantage over the enemy. Also we aren’t using overwhelming firepower.

Technically FLIR can look through foliage right? or is it that dense up there that even a FLIR mounted on a Rudra would fail?

To an extent yes. Not like x-ray. Depth of foilage matters. Tangoes hidden in caves won't be picked up by FLIR.

Btw Heron drones searched frantically after Doda encounter with FLIR but we got nothing.

There is intelligence failure. Multiple times security forces were trapped. Either due to leak or wrong input or wrong processing.

Did that happen because Army killed informers for medals or because Army gobbled up informer money ? My reply was to the accusations.

OGWs lured Army into traps, that's what happened. OGWs working for militants and Islamic cause.

Tangoes hidden in caves won't be picked up by FLIR.

Btw Heron drones searched frantically after Doda encounter with FLIR but we got nothing.
Yup, when it comes to mountains and looking for Tangos in caves, you either push more bodies in or drop a LGB to flatten it out and then later go collect the pieces.
Eg- Tora Bora
For our issue, superior firepower and proper actionable intelligence based ops is the way out.

Yup, when it comes to mountains and looking for Tangos in caves, you either push more bodies in or drop a LGB to flatten it out and then later go collect the pieces.
Eg- Tora Bora
For our issue, superior firepower and proper actionable intelligence based ops is the way out.

We also need to remember despite Afghanistan having a barren terrain ideal for air-support & helicopter gunship unlike J&K, USA achieved little with overwhelming air power.

When population is hostile, HUMINT is nonexistent, and at worse, dangerous.

We also need to remember despite Afghanistan having a barren terrain ideal for air-support & helicopter gunship unlike J&K, USA achieved little with overwhelming air power.
Also add the abundance with shoulder fired anti aircraft weapons, they were largely made redundant for any bombing campaign. Their air power was largely limited to CASEVAC and CAS. Warthogs and Apaches did their jobs to support the troops on ground while the jets dropped LGBs but it was usually a ground element that did the main task and achieved the target.

His reply

-----
Didn't ask don't care

Got this from someone.

Okay. My reply:

1. My comments are strictly on operator ease & comfort & freedom to choose what he/she wears. Notwithstanding people's perception, its the operator's choice.

2. M4 & scopes were very much there in my time too. Stop peddling nonsense like we didnt have them.

3. There is no question that things need to improve. My tweets on that have been there too. But stupid comments have to be rebutted.

4. NVG are rarely used in continuous mode. Your batteries will discharge quickly. When you are chasing track, you are out for days & you use them only for scans. If someone thinks that 24x7 you can use NVG, especially in cold (where battery performance is degraded) when you are out for days tracking a track, you live in an alternate galaxy.
Wrong thread?

His reply

-----
Didn't ask don't care

Got this from someone.

Okay. My reply:

1. My comments are strictly on operator ease & comfort & freedom to choose what he/she wears. Notwithstanding people's perception, its the operator's choice.

2. M4 & scopes were very much there in my time too. Stop peddling nonsense like we didnt have them.

3. There is no question that things need to improve. My tweets on that have been there too. But stupid comments have to be rebutted.

4. NVG are rarely used in continuous mode. Your batteries will discharge quickly. When you are chasing track, you are out for days & you use them only for scans. If someone thinks that 24x7 you can use NVG, especially in cold (where battery performance is degraded) when you are out for days tracking a track, you live in an alternate galaxy.
Learn from terrorists to use batteries then.Its everywhere how they are using Afghanistan style taliban setup..btw who is the guy?

Fellas listen.
Is oue situation and circumstances unique to us.
This terrain, the demographic, the Ideology of militants and the neighborhood country is this unique to us?
Suppsoe had this been other counties militaries in our shoes, would they have done any better?

Perhaps 1:5 or 1:6 kill ratio is the optimum for these circumstances?
Kill ratios dont help, the US learnt that the hard way. Only way to end insurgency is to plan long term, cut of infil routes and pacify population to prevent support.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back