IAF's Sukhoi Su-30MKI

johny_baba

अज्ञानी
A thread to discuss everything about Su-30MKI in IAF service

Spot the odd man out.

GRfALfVb0AEX_Pp.jpeg

Spot the odd man out.

View attachment 951
Let me guess, you got this from Varun Karthikeyan's twitter handle right? His tweet suggests several possibilities.
1. This Sukhoi Airframe is acting as a test bed for a new radar. Likely an advanced version of the UTTAM (Virupaaksha) AESA radar.
2. It is a test bed for a weapon such as the Rudram.
3. It is just a regular MKI. Looking at the quality of the photo, and it's relatively poor resolution compared to what photos we get of fighter jets in the modern era, I say that it's an old photo. But again, resolution of a picture may not always indicate the time at which the photo was taken. One can clearly see a missile on one of the Flanker's left wing pylon, its either an Astra or Rudram.
4. If it's a Rudram missile then the black colour of the MKI's cone may be because of something to do with masking the radar waves emitting from Flanker's PESA radar. I mean Rudram is supposed to be a ARM, I think you will understand what I am trying to say (to avoid a possible self-Goal).
5. Feel free to speculate on your own.

Let me guess, you got this from Varun Karthikeyan's twitter handle right? His tweet suggests several possibilities.
1. This Sukhoi Airframe is acting as a test bed for a new radar. Likely an advanced version of the UTTAM (Virupaaksha) AESA radar.
2. It is a test bed for a weapon such as the Rudram.
3. It is just a regular MKI. Looking at the quality of the photo, and it's relatively poor resolution compared to what photos we get of fighter jets in the modern era, I say that it's an old photo. But again, resolution of a picture may not always indicate the time at which the photo was taken. One can clearly see a missile on one of the Flanker's left wing pylon, its either an Astra or Rudram.
4. If it's a Rudram missile then the black colour of the MKI's cone may be because of something to do with masking the radar waves emitting from Flanker's PESA radar. I mean Rudram is supposed to be a ARM, I think you will understand what I am trying to say (to avoid a possible self-Goal).
5. Feel free to speculate on your own.
The redaome is of black shade Instead of Grey which are numerous in numbers likely part of the NAC.

That's Super Sukhois, this upgradation of existing one, with no correlation to that programme.
You're right Dada. Which is the reason both threads should be amalgamated. You create too many threads on one subject & it leads to clutter.

While the present members may recognise the difference , future members won't assuming you realise this thread is going to be the repository of all knowledge & developments on the MKI with the result in the future we'd see a lot of members post things meant for one thread in another increasing the work load of the moderation team in rectifying the issue.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right Dada. Which is the reason both threads should be amalgamated. You create too many threads on one subject & it leads to clutter.

While the present members may recognise the difference , future members won't assuming you realise this thread is going to be the repository of all knowledge & developments on the MKI with the result in the future we'd see a lot of members post things meant for one thread in another increasing the work load of the moderation team in rectifying the issue.

Just my two cents.
There was a saperate thread for Super Sukhois Programme on DFI. So better to follow it's path. When scrapped data is added, it will make sense.

Last edited:
There was a saperate thread for Super Sukhois Programme on DFI. So better to follow it's path. When scrapped data is added, it will make sense.
Will IAF/HAL rename upgraded Su-30MKI like Russians did from Su-27 to Su-30, 35 & Chinese did with J-11, J-16?

Will IAF/HAL rename upgraded Su-30MKI like Russians did from Su-27 to Su-30, 35 & Chinese did with J-11, J-16?
Su30s from 27 were inherently different alot of redesigning addition of control surfaces.

We can rename it like Russians renamed su30sm into sm2. Which inherited upgrades from su35.
Su30mki2 , there are also su30mk ,mk2.
Super Su30 doesn't seems professional.
It's just program name though

Su30s from 27 were inherently different alot of redesigning addition of control surfaces.

We can rename it like Russians renamed su30sm into sm2. Which inherited upgrades from su35.
Su30mki2 , there are also su30mk ,mk2.
Super Su30 doesn't seems professional.
It's just program name though
The current configuration is much upgraded from 1st MKI canards version, but it is still known as MKI.
USAF uses Block # & A/B C/D E/F for all its jets. EF-2000 uses Tranche. Rafale uses F#.
We should have used some version # after adding/upgrading avonics, weapons. It gives public message of mordernization & confidence.

The current configuration is much upgraded from 1st MKI canards version, but it is still known as MKI.
USAF uses Block # & A/B C/D E/F for all its jets. EF-2000 uses Tranche. Rafale uses F#.
We should have used some version # after adding/upgrading avonics, weapons. It gives public message of mordernization & confidence.
Yeah agreed. But expecting such vision from then is mistake

Rename this thread as Super Sukhoi
Hari sir! This thread is meant for all-rounder/collective discussion about the Su-30MKI and not just limited to the Super-Sukhoi upgrade that the Flankers in the Indian-AF are supposed to undergo. If my memory is right then there is a thread made by one of the forum members that is made specifically to discuss about Super-Sukhoi upgrade program. You and can go and search it up on DFB, you will get it.

Su-30 MKI with jammer pods, wingtip ones are permanent like in Su-35-S, belly jammer is attachment.

1720855241709.jpeg

1720855260187.jpeg

1720855280017.jpeg

1720855335023.jpeg

In 5th gen jet, these jammers are conformal antennas. The associated electronics are permant part of avionics & largely S/w oriented like SDR, so the additional weight is not airframe + these pods but just the antennas.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back