India at Olympics

How much pay do Athletes get for medals around the world.

US which is the no.1 ranked country in number of medals right now gives $37500.00 for a gold medal , which comes around 32lakhs INR .

Compare that to India, Neeraj Chopra first Indian individual gold medalist got almost 13cr. From various governments and institutions.

So motivation in terms of monetary benefits is definitely there for our athletes to succeed at the Olympics.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/pbQ1P81BSwY?si=9vqMGleptlwHJ1rD

Just announcing prizes without full support for most players like mental coach is like building roof without foundation, and FYI and large part is from private firms. The AOC players also gets large sponsorships from firms so it's highly inaccurate so compare only AOC prize versus total amount given to a single Indian player.

The Katie Ledecky, who won two gold medals in Tokyo, signed 17 Million Contract with swimwear brand TYR in 2018 after earning a whopping four gold medals in Rio, according to ESPN’s Darren Rovell. Her deal, reported to run through the 2024 Olympic Games, was one of the “most lucrative” partnerships in swimming history, TYR said in a June 2018 release.

For this games U.S. water polo players got hugh sponsor regarding of winning or not.

Last edited:
Just announcing prizes without full support for most players like mental coach is like building roof without foundation, and FYI and large part is from private firms. The AOC players also gets large sponsorships from firms so it's highly inaccurate so compare only AOC prize versus total amount given to a single Indian player.

The Katie Ledecky, who won two gold medals in Tokyo, signed 17 Million Contract with swimwear brand TYR in 2018 after earning a whopping four gold medals in Rio, according to ESPN’s Darren Rovell. Her deal, reported to run through the 2024 Olympic Games, was one of the “most lucrative” partnerships in swimming history, TYR said in a June 2018 release.

In that case, there substantial money earned by Neeraj Chopra or Sindhu or other medal winning athletes through endorsements.

My intention was not to compare but to highlight that the monetary motivation for our athletes to win is there.

Athletes through TOPs scheme have been provided chance to train anywhere in the world , with best infrastructure and coaches.

As PP said there so much a government or federation can do , the athletes need to step up.

In that case, there substantial money earned by Neeraj Chopra or Sindhu or other medal winning athletes through endorsements.

My intention was not to compare but to highlight that the monetary motivation for our athletes to win is there.

Athletes through TOPs scheme have been provided chance to train anywhere in the world , with best infrastructure and coaches.

As PP said there so much a government or federation can do the the athletes need to step up.
The numbers of actual athelets gets this are small part of the 170 Tops Scheme candidates, Kasale didn't got it, the number is small and still don't cover every aspect like mental coach and many things as pointed out by @SKC Nibba and @Suryavanshi Nibba.

Reactions: SKC
You have to find the optimum balance between Height and physique and having talent. Any mismatch will wear out the players much faster than their peers around the world.

Asians and Many Europeans retain their peak till early 30s in many sports. However Indian players are already out of their prime by 26-28 year of age.
to the extent that height and physique contribute to talent you select for it. Beyond that you look for people who first have the talent and then the outlier physical attributes for the sport that gives them an edge eg Sindhu.

to the extent that height and physique contribute to talent you select for it. Beyond that you look for people who first have the talent and then the outlier physical attributes for the sport that gives them an edge eg Sindhu.
Sindhu is the ideal height for Woman Badminton afaik she is like 1-2 cm taller than Carolina Marin.
However, she lacked agility and core strength.
Again, the same issue of Mental stability in big games.

For this games U.S. water polo players got hugh sponsor regarding of winning or not.
US has huge money.

Their internal Basketball, American Football, etc leagues are way bigger than rest of the world combined in terms of salaries, prize money, contracts, etc!

Do good in US and you will get Million-dollar contracts.

This is simply not possible in India.

The numbers of actual athelets gets this are small part of the 170 Tops Scheme candidates, Kasale didn't got it, the number is small and still don't cover every aspect like mental coach and many things as pointed out by @SKC Nibba and @Suryavanshi Nibba.

I agree on the mental coach part, i have mentioned it in my past posts.

And Kusale's example validates my point, unless the athlete step up, no amount of coaching and infrastructure is going to win us medals.

US has huge money.

Their internal Basketball, American Football, etc leagues are way bigger than rest of the world combined in terms of salaries, prize money, contracts, etc!

Do good in US and you will get Million-dollar contracts.

This is simply not possible in India.
And Still Nibba like Jedis Operator called me liear, this Nibba don't even knew about the extant of the U.S Sponsership and dare to name them who point contrary to their arguments.

And Still Nibba like Jedis Operator called me liear, this Nibba don't even knew about the extant of the U.S Sponsership and dare to name them who point contrary to their arguments.
I think that was not his point. Point is that now we have started to spend more money to our players. Govt support in training has also improved. Yes, we are not the best in this regards but things have improved a lot in last 1 decade.

Sindhu is the ideal height for Woman Badminton afaik she is like 1-2 cm taller than Carolina Marin.
However, she lacked agility and core strength.
Again, the same issue of Mental stability in big games.
Sindhu is much taller than any of the Asian badminton players at 1.8m. Marin is listed at around 5'8". While her height gives her an edge it's only one among many other factors at play here.

I think that was not his point. Point is that now we have started to spend more money to our players. Govt support in training has also improved. Yes, we are not the best in this regards but things have improved a lot in last 1 decade.
Ya'll Na That Jedi Operators Nibba claimed we pay more to our players compared to the AOC when actually it's not even true.

The Indian Hockey Team has a Mental Coach was the Indian Crickets team in 2011.

Women Team also has.

Neeraj Chopra has one.

Ya'll Nibbiars Poghat into Semi Finals after defining Japanese Gold medalist and Ukranina, both were extremely strong candidates.
Well well well how times have changed

Ya'll Nibbiars Poghat into Semi Finals after defeating Japanese Gold medalist and Ukranina, both were extremely strong candidates.
so whats the new definition of Japanese Gold Medalist now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back