India at Olympics

Our people lost the taste of designs for few hundreds of years man. Looking back our gigachads at that time build Tanjore Big temple, Somnath, Khajuraho, Sun temple Konark, Chennakeswara etc.
dont know why u comparing indian dress with indian ancient architecture....in textile we hv huge varieties, i dont think any country match our cloths varities nd versility. yes they r not that much famous in world, like ancient times. but still we r making great dresses. these olympic sports dresses r boring, but in IPL we match european club football level jersey etc in design. u can wear them in ur outgoing.

It isn't remarkable.

New Zealand is a first-world country where sporting activities are encouraged for kids. You don't have to worry about your economic future, even if your sporting career fails. Unlike in India, where the fear of a deprived economic future stops 95% of parents from allowing their kids to take up sports,.

100% of New Zealand kids will be supported by their parents in sports, compared to maybe 5% of Indian kids who will be supported by their parents in sports.

I myself was among the top 2-3 best batsmen and bowlers in a tier 3 city with a population of 5 lakhs until class 10. Other schools used to pay me 100 INR every Sunday to play for their school against other schools.

I stopped cricket after 10th grade as I wanted to prepare for my engineering entrance. This is the story of almost every single talented kid in India who can't afford to take up sports full-time.

Thankfully, my kids won't have to do what I did. I won't even blame Indian parents, to be honest. It's normal for them to be worried about kids wasting their time with a career where less than 1% make a living out of it. The only solution for this is to get richer as a country. Getting richer as a country will allow us to harness talent to the full extent.
yeah....biggest example is china. they hv similar situation like india 2-3 decade ago in olympic. but when they started economically prosper, than they think about sports etc. they allocated huge funds in schools nd infrastructure. now they r always make second place in olympics in medal counts.
i live in tier 3 city...now student hv choice for joining stadium etc, after 12th standard. before that very few english medium school kids hv oppertunity to participate in games. there is very limited stadium or courts etc in our city. how can a child develop their sports like european nd other rich countries, who gave their children coaching nd facilities from childhood (5 years+). even a hardworking nd talented player need facility nd coaching to develop his game. india will definitely improve with our growing economy in future, but that will be gradual improvement (due to democracy).

These countries are poor but have always had a genetic advantage in niche sports.

Ethiopians and Kenyans have genetic advantage in long distance running. Jamaicans when it comes to sprinting.

Can you point out what genetic advantage Indians have when it comes to any niche Sport?

Do you deny that 95% Indian parents will stop their kids from taking up sports seriously?

Stop giving some exceptions as an example.

The wealthier a country is, the higher the probability is that kids are encouraged to take up sports.
Though genetics is a factor, it wouldn't make any more difference than say 10%.
Remember that Although India having per capita income equivalent of some SEA counties don't have near similar level of city infra. So we can draw a parallel and say we dont really have that much focus on sporting as a whole despite more per capita income. Its not just about selection but politics as well here in India. At the very first state level of screening Sports Quota causes an issue and Selection gets biased because of this.
Besides Dehat does not invest in sports career of their sons and daughters if it did bring back something. You saw the whole Wrestler protest thing right? It was one of the factors.
And you already work in the corporate so you would know how managers hire people of their own state and people they favour, same shit happens in each and every corner of India. We have too many Societal ills.

I will ask you to spare a moment and think why Cricket was so successful to begin with here, BCCI was mostly an autonomous body that operated outside the watchful eyes of Indian gormint, large number of Sporting clubs and training schools were mostly autonomous as well and still are. Because of this cricket had ample pool of actual cricketers who were screened well and hence had more than just money in mind. The Cricket had its own elitism with rich fellas spearheading the game but they do cared about the sports itself and hence had a healthy sporting culture.
See Indian hockey which played so well while under british and even after they left india still won 3 more time. It is not that the british players boosted us but their Sporting culture did.

What do you say isn't this simply a big factor. Another case of Dehati mindset ruining another avenue.
"Beta ye sports worts to tikh he but future ka kya hona he? dekho agar sports quota se Koi Sarkari naukari mil jaye to accha he".

Though genetics is a factor, it wouldn't make any more difference than say 10%.
Remember that Although India having per capita income equivalent of some SEA counties don't have near similar level of city infra. So we can draw a parallel and say we dont really have that much focus on sporting as a whole despite more per capita income. Its not just about selection but politics as well here in India. At the very first state level of screening Sports Quota causes an issue and Selection gets biased because of this.
Besides Dehat does not invest in sports career of their sons and daughters if it did bring back something. You saw the whole Wrestler protest thing right? It was one of the factors.
And you already work in the corporate so you would know how managers hire people of their own state and people they favour, same shit happens in each and every corner of India. We have too many Societal ills.

I will ask you to spare a moment and think why Cricket was so successful to begin with here, BCCI was mostly an autonomous body that operated outside the watchful eyes of Indian gormint, large number of Sporting clubs and training schools were mostly autonomous as well and still are. Because of this cricket had ample pool of actual cricketers who were screened well and hence had more than just money in mind. The Cricket had its own elitism with rich fellas spearheading the game but they do cared about the sports itself and hence had a healthy sporting culture.
See Indian hockey which played so well while under british and even after they left india still won 3 more time. It is not that the british players boosted us but their Sporting culture did.

What do you say isn't this simply a big factor. Another case of Dehati mindset ruining another avenue.
"Beta ye sports worts to tikh he but future ka kya hona he? dekho agar sports quota se Koi Sarkari naukari mil jaye to accha he".
My point was, comparing India to countries like Ethiopia and Kenya is stupid as these countries win all their medals in niche sports.

How many of their medals are from Running? I bet 80%+

If economy isn't a factor, why aren't Kenyans and Ethiopians winning medals in non-running sports?

India's issues are multifold.

1) Very less encouragement for kids to take up sports.

2) No sports infrastructure in availability for the average citizen.

2) Corruption at all levels in sports bodies.

My classmate was the district U15 Cricket vice-captain. He was a far inferior batsman to me and 2 other guys in our class i.e he was the 4th best batsman in our own class. But none of us top 3 even went for Cricket trials as our parents didn't allow us.

This is for those who qualified, the amounts sponsors, patrons and players would have spent on qualifying tournaments would be even higher.
=======

From Neeraj Chopra to Vinesh Phogat: How much money has Sports Ministry spent on India’s Paris Olympic-bound athletes​

DisciplineTotal Funding
ArcheryRs 39.18 crore
AthleticsRs 96.08 crore
BadmintonRs 72.03 crore
BoxingRs 60.93 crore
EquestrianRs 95.42 lakh
GolfRs 1.74 crore
HockeyRs 41.30 crore
JudoRs 6.33 crore
RowingRs 3.89 crore
SailingRs 3.78 crore
ShootingRs 60.42 crore
SwimmingRs 3.90 crore
Table TennisRs 12.92 crore
TennisRs 1.67 crore
WeightliftingRs 27 crore
WrestlingRs 37.80 crore

glad , manu won . it would have been another waste of money like last time for shooting. just one more chance at winning another medal in shooting , ramita jindal. archery is a lost case. only men team can do something good otherwise money wasted there too.

It isn't remarkable.

New Zealand is a first-world country where sporting activities are encouraged for kids. You don't have to worry about your economic future, even if your sporting career fails. Unlike in India, where the fear of a deprived economic future stops 95% of parents from allowing their kids to take up sports,.

100% of New Zealand kids will be supported by their parents in sports, compared to maybe 5% of Indian kids who will be supported by their parents in sports.

I myself was among the top 2-3 best batsmen and bowlers in a tier 3 city with a population of 5 lakhs until class 10. Other schools used to pay me 100 INR every Sunday to play for their school against other schools.

I stopped cricket after 10th grade as I wanted to prepare for my engineering entrance. This is the story of almost every single talented kid in India who can't afford to take up sports full-time.

Thankfully, my kids won't have to do what I did. I won't even blame Indian parents, to be honest. It's normal for them to be worried about kids wasting their time with a career where less than 1% make a living out of it. The only solution for this is to get richer as a country. Getting richer as a country will allow us to harness talent to the full extent.
In richer countries granted you will get all the teaining you need for kids. But getting into professional sports is quite tough for Indian kids unless they have extraordinary talents.

Inter schools and Inter College games were big in USA, Canada, Australia, China, Korea, Japan etc. On other hand ours were pretty much inclined only to Education alone. Khelo India is a very small step were students from colleges/Schools can represent on a national level. But it is a very long way to go.

During my schooling there were certain schools known for strong Sports culture. On the other hand our school is such a fun. Our PT staffs shit on Cricket for an reason since they don't have any idea about it and they were from Volley Ball background. New PT staff came and they were Handball background with additional support for Cricket if required. But our management strictly said NO to cricket.

Till now I don't know what sadistic pleasure they achieved whenever they reject Cricket.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back