India at Olympics

How many of schools in India have olympic size swimming pools? My son is 5 years old and he already takes lessons in Swimming in the school district's olympic size swimming pool here in USA. There is an aquatics, athletics program in each school apart from team sports like basketball, baseball, football and soccer. In India we hardly even have a playground for kids.. Not to mention the pathetic mindset in India against sports. we only crib every 4 years when other countries win more medals/capita.

A country of 1.4 Billion with 100+ unicorns and 5th largest economy but cannot win 20 medals out of 600 (gold+silver+bronze).. we are 1/4 of human population, simple math tells me India should win a minimum of 80-100 medals at these events.
About 80% of India can't even swim. Leave the swimming pool in schools, there might be barely one sarkari community olympics size pool in a tier 2 city which will be shut down for half the year.

Also football is the most popular sport all over the world. India is ranked 124 but Senegal ranks 19 despite being a poor country.

When will India reach the top 20 or 30 in FIFA rankings?
Most Senegalese kids start playing football since they are very young i.e 5 or 6 years old.

It's literally the only sport they care about and the only way to have fun for the kids.

How many Indian kids play football?

1%? That too in metros in crammed apartment spaces?

You can succeed in a sport even without economic resources but you need your population to be literally obsessed with that sport.

Instances like these are rare. In general, having economic wealth allows you to better harness your population's sporting ability.

The main problem is mindset, Indians don't have that, it's in every sports, tell me where they have shown "VARCHASWA", the OG word which originated in India, this simply means domination.

The defeated mindset is there, the best example is these olympics and another when we saw what happened with Indian cricket team at ICC word cup final.

Don't they feel anger when they lose to others? Until what time it will be "okay, they are performing low, so no wonder we too are performing low.", "weather was poor.", "politics ate me.",etc. Like in other nations these type of things don't happen at all.
Japan is right now no. 1, tell me, does politics not happen in Japan sports body?

Ask Indians how to crack IAS, SSC, IIT, AIIMS, etc. The level of NEVER TO BE DEFEATED LIFE LESSONS dialogues that you lot will see is even going to shame MENTAL CONDITIONING COACH words, yes it's true, I have met these types, but Indians can't apply the same NEVER TO BE DEFEATED LIFE LESSONS in sports.

Sorry to say, but you will see this defeatist mindset in hockey olympics in near days, when India will face Australia or any european team.

I probably got too hopeful when I saw India win so many medals including 28 golds in Asian Games 2023. When it comes to olympics,everything just goes back to the same.
Neeraj Chopra is our only hope for gold medal in this olympic I guess.

The main problem is mindset, Indians don't have that, it's in every sports, tell me where they have shown "VARCHASWA", the OG word which originated in India, this simply means domination.

The defeated mindset is there, the best example is these olympics and another when we saw what happened with Indian cricket team at ICC word cup final.

Don't they feel anger when they lose to others? Until what time it will be "okay, they are performing low, so no wonder we too are performing low.", "weather was poor.", "politics ate me.",etc. Like in other nations these type of things don't happen at all.
Japan is right now no. 1, tell me, does politics not happen in Japan sports body?

Ask Indians how to crack IAS, SSC, IIT, AIIMS, etc. The level of NEVER TO BE DEFEATED LIFE LESSONS dialogues that you lot will see is even going to shame MENTAL CONDITIONING COACH words, yes it's true, I have met these types, but Indians can't apply the same NEVER TO BE DEFEATED LIFE LESSONS in sports.

Sorry to say, but you will see this defeatist mindset in hockey olympics in near days, when India will face Australia or any european team.
Man,there was a time when India used to absolutely dominate hockey. We even lost that dominance.

Paris & Olympics

I have seen the aerial view of Paris while landing at the airports. This time during Olympic Games the drone view of Paris is more exciting. First thing, Paris is laid horizontally, with not too many high rises. Their more famous gate and surroundings has the same layout at India Gate in India and its surroundings. Roads radiate from the gate. I counted 12 in Paris and I believe 10 in New Delhi. Their Gate was built in 1810 to 1830. The India Gate got built in 1930s. I am sure the British Architects copied the Paris design.

As the TV takes the viewer to Eiffel Tower and surroundings, its view is unmatched. I saw this tower in 1969 and in 1986 & 2003. Its surroundings are matchlessly clean. During the last visit the lift system operated for a price. It was built around 1890. I am sure you guys remember that Delhi has Qutab Minar. It is made of stone with circular shape as opposed to rectangular shape for Eiffel Tower. The surroundings of Qutab Minar, has only ruins which do not excite a visitor. The surrounding of the Eiffel Tower has the whole well built city.

Paris, as I watch now and whatever I saw during my previous trips is clean like hell. I could not find any un-repaired road and no pavements are broken. That is unlike Delhi. Where have the cars which usually lineup the city street gone; these probably been moved for the Olympics.

The water for sports is unlimited in Paris. They built 2.5 km still water system for rowing sports and a huge complex for white water boating competition. In Delhi, where would you find that amount of water. Yamuna is all dry except during rainy season.

I did not go to the Paris Olympics, but what I have been watching on TV and the sports avenues, their general upkeep of the sports arena is incomparable. Crowds are well managed.

Yes, the boat ride opening ceremony did not excite me but once, they began running with the Olympic torch in the night and in failing rain on participants and crowds collected en route, that was a sight to remember. The lighting of the Olympic Torch was incomparable.

Thank you Paris, its citizens and its games management, you have done a great job. …… Hari Sud from Canada.

Man,there was a time when India used to absolutely dominate hockey. We even lost that dominance.
That was when things were on grass, you know westerners have this knack ability, when they start loosing domination in a sport, they revert to LAWS.
I simply don't understand how Canada got summer olympics hosting at that time, if it could not even prepare a grass field, but, Europeans smelled the blood, everything astro turf now.
Make game costly so that no one can play, hockey can never become popular in Africa despite being simple sports, why ASTRO TURF? Poor nations sports bodies too knows that so why waste money.
Some Laws made for western ladyboys.
1. Cricket- can't handle bouncers of West indies, bouncer rule.
2. Grass field hockey- can't beat India skill, ASTRO turf.
3. Wrestling- can't beat central Asian and Indian wrestlers, try to remove the event.
4. Swimming- good in swimming, increase events after events, breast-stroke, high jump what next "how many times leg can stay out of water event."
The biggest and hilarious part, GOLF a businessmen loving sport is included but Kabbadi a mass sport cannot be included.

Also football is the most popular sport all over the world. India is ranked 124 but Senegal ranks 19 despite being a poor country.

Infighting in the AIFF Board for decades. Decided to follow the hype of IPL and introduced ISL which does not follow the traditional Pyramid structure of Football and given the control to Reliance. Even today AIFF is still an shitshow with no tangible results to show. Same old few good days followed by perennial slump.

Also existing infra is poor compared to other countries Football infra.

LA28 will have Cricket lol.

May be 12 teams with T20 format. Lets see how IOC handling them.

How many of schools in India have olympic size swimming pools? My son is 5 years old and he already takes lessons in Swimming in the school district's olympic size swimming pool here in USA. There is an aquatics, athletics program in each school apart from team sports like basketball, baseball, football and soccer. In India we hardly even have a playground for kids.. Not to mention the pathetic mindset in India against sports. we only crib every 4 years when other countries win more medals/capita.

A country of 1.4 Billion with 100+ unicorns and 5th largest economy but cannot win 20 medals out of 600 (gold+silver+bronze).. we are 1/4 of human population, simple math tells me India should win a minimum of 80-100 medals at these events.
You answered your own question.
We are a nation where the average population density is 545 per sq km, in BIMARULAND the number is as high as 1300 per sq km.

Comparing that to America where it is 36 per sq km is unfair, usa has 10 million home and 300000 public swimming pools.
You guys could probably play cricket/Futsal/Basketball in you backyard. We have to travel kms to find a playground where we have to pay alongside with 4 other groups.

For that bcci like body required. Reliance support football, why cant they make a private body.

I think bcci should be given control of other sports in India like football or hockey. It can work wonders if given a thought. Only BCCI is professionally run rest all are politically controlled.

I think bcci should be given control of other sports in India like football or hockey. It can work wonders if given a thought. Only BCCI is professionally run rest all are politically controlled.
Have you heard of Rajiv Shukla?

Most Senegalese kids start playing football since they are very young i.e 5 or 6 years old.

It's literally the only sport they care about and the only way to have fun for the kids.

How many Indian kids play football?

1%? That too in metros in crammed apartment spaces?

You can succeed in a sport even without economic resources but you need your population to be literally obsessed with that sport.

Instances like these are rare. In general, having economic wealth allows you to better harness your population's sporting ability.
Football is very popular here in KL (especially malabar region) , idk for sure but I'm sure IND will produce a world class footballer by a decade or so!!

Football is one of those sports where just throwing money at it won't help. China has spent untold amounts of money on trying to get better at football but hasn't made any meaningful progress and still keeps losing to many African countries.

Let's just say as a country we lack the passion and interest for football. Unless that changes, the rankings won't change.

The actual reason being the Archers loss as there was no head coach to guide the team.

Last edited:
Football is one of those sports where just throwing money at it won't help. China has spent untold amounts of money on trying to get better at football but hasn't made any meaningful progress and still keeps losing to many African countries.

Let's just say as a country we lack the passion and interest for football. Unless that changes, the rankings won't change.
No.. Football is very popular game in upper middle class and rich class in India and somewhat of middle class too. They just watch other nations playing bcz their own team never qualified to that level. It is only bcz of corrupt system and not searching anything on ground level.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back