Indian Special Forces

When a Sqn of SG goes for a CI-CT tenure in the valley or NE, they're are issues Tar-21 Integrals(M21 or ACOG), PIKAs, SVD and Ak-63Ds as standard issue. You won't see them going into a CI Op with F2000 or HK-416s!

Well when 2-3 forces are involved at one Op, we invest in the Op and not in a single unit!

SG's mandates have been changing with the raising, disbandment and reraising of the the unit. MARCOs are way better regarding the ISR and other things you listed.

SG was only 'Special' when it was raised to undertake Army HQ level Ops or to undertake federal contingency roles such as CI-CT in urban area or Anti-Hijack, after NSG was created SG was of no use and hence disbanded. It was reraised with a different mandate but its at best is an Airborne Inf with Spec Ops capabilities(thnx to PARA SF element on deputation for 6yrs)....:D

1. This FNs and HKs were test batches if I remmember correctly - primarily in the hands of instructors and very few given out
2. if the HK is an active duty weapon system - its stupid its not getting used downrange. Kinda Like CRPF COBRA being issued the MTARs but not allowed to take it into the field incase they got damaged or lost
3. From What I can make out SG Mandates are by the CO running the unit at any given moment and his linking to CS/Army HQ
4. SG has infact done many special things over the years and not just limited to its original raising function - through the 80s/90s/and early 2000s as well
5. Even our Spec Ops units are essentially Commando Light Infantry units. Our Spec Ops capability has a ceiling IMO

I dont understand why would SG need to get experience by doing petty ops?

They are made of the best operators of Para why do they need to go to such ops?

I have been out of the loop of SG for few years now - all my contacts to that place are now either dead or too old to rememeber well. But my basic understanding is that "Best operators" bit may no longer apply for the following reasons from what i have surmized from various titbits here and there

- no longer run the type of ops that they used to
- very little value add for the Career Progression of Ofsars

Some of it tracks with what ARAD is saying above about its current "Status" (though I dont agree with everything he is saying - specially regarding its history)

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back