LCA TEJAS MK-I & MK-IA: News and Discussion

I dont know how many times i have to say this, the global engine crisis is a direct consequence of chinese hogging the supply of Russian titanium SO as to starve everyone else.
Thus the reason why India and the US have been going so hard on critical minerals together. The leadership of the two countries know what the true challenges are.

I dont know how many times i have to say this, the global engine crisis is a direct consequence of chinese hogging the supply of Russian titanium SO as to starve everyone else.

Are you sure it's that and not GE bowing to Daddy State Dept's pressure?
Which other countries, especially (((US allies))) face such delays? iirc there is a korean stealth jet in development, that also uses some GE engine, do they get delays too?

Are you sure it's that and not GE bowing to Daddy State Dept's pressure?
Which other countries, especially (((US allies))) face such delays? iirc there is a korean stealth jet in development, that also uses some GE engine, do they get delays too?
Funny that you mention S.Korea.

They quickly figured out a local assembly contract when they selected the 414 - unlike us.

also ^^ GE's commercial LEAP series is also facing crunch and barely 5% delivery rate increase inspite of increased global demand.

^^ US Air Force is unable to replace its own old engines (GE J85)

^^ US Auditor flagging spurious chinese spares sabotaging Engine maintenance.

^ Global shortage of some critical minerals since last year.

Funny that you mention S.Korea.

They quickly figured out a local assembly contract when they selected the 414 - unlike us.

also ^^ GE's commercial LEAP series is also facing crunch and barely 5% delivery rate increase inspite of increased global demand.

You really think this would be granted to us even if it was part of contract conditions? :bplease:

So i am correct, delays are only for (((non-ally))) nations like us, even if there is a titanium shortage, military engine supplies are still being prioritized for (((allies))).

Meanwhile i'm getting some conflicting info about TFX Kaan of Turki, wiki says it is supposed to use some RR engines built in turkey as a JV but GE has also delivered some engines in 2022.

Most of the Euros and their 6th gen fighters are still in planning stage so you only have the Turkish and Korean jets

Trying to ascertain now whether being just an (((ally))) like Turkey is enough or do you have to be a good (((ally))) like S.Korea who doesn't do ungli like Turkey does.

smh they should have just stuck with those shitty rooskie engines, atleast Rooskie would supply us those without any T&C, now thanks to their invasion of Ukraine even that possibility is gone.

I hope atleast we have good anti-air systems

You really think this would be granted to us even if it was part of contract conditions? :bplease:

So i am correct, delays are only for (((non-ally))) nations like us, even if there is a titanium shortage, military engine supplies are still being prioritized for (((allies))).

Meanwhile i'm getting some conflicting info about TFX Kaan of Turki, wiki says it is supposed to use some RR engines built in turkey as a JV but GE has also delivered some engines in 2022.

Most of the Euros and their 6th gen fighters are still in planning stage so you only have the Turkish and Korean jets

Trying to ascertain now whether being just an (((ally))) like Turkey is enough or do you have to be a good (((ally))) like S.Korea who doesn't do ungli like Turkey does.

smh they should have just stuck with those shitty rooskie engines, atleast Rooskie would supply us those without any T&C, now thanks to their invasion of Ukraine even that possibility is gone.

I hope atleast we have good anti-air systems
AS far as I know. RR and Turkiye could not agree ToT so thoughts of co-operation were dropped. Turkiye is taking a step by step approach to developing an engine for KAAN: 6,000 lb thrust dry engine > 10,000 lb thrust afterburner version > 35,000 lb thrust afterburning engine. Lessons learnt from the smaller engines feed into the design of the KAAN engine. Allowance was made for the engine to fall short on design thrust but still be adequate for use in KAAN.

Turkiye has invested heavily into engine development and development equipment (wind tunnels, test chambers etc) so should be able to develop an engine for KAAN by itself. If GOI had been serious about getting Kaveri developed for use in Tejas, it would have done something similar.

If F404 supply problems delay Mk1A full rate production for a year that is doubtless a massive inconvenience to HAL and IAF but is there any reason why frames cannot be assembled and stored and engines be fitted when available?

Last edited:
kaveri should be tested on dedicated FTB. Govt must purchase a second hand il76 and get it modified inhouse.. You cannot use an airline plane because of low wing. You need high wing aircraft.
Cannot use an airline plane because of low wing? GE, P&W, RR have 747-based FTB's.

Cannot use an airline plane because of low wing? GE, P&W, RR have 747-based FTB's.
And that entails Body modification, where a winglet near cockpit houses Jet Engine for test. That modification cannot carried by India unless it pays billions to boeing

And that entails Body modification, where a winglet near cockpit houses Jet Engine for test. That modification cannot carried by India unless it pays billions to boeing
Nope. I was witness to a discussion on the issue of the conversion of a regular civil airliner into an FTB on Twitter between Indranil Roy & a few others a few years back. You can still view it on his Twitter T/L.

There are quite a few companies in the west especially the US who have experience in this field with a proven track record & believe it or not the entire thing can be undertaken for a few million USD.

IIRC the figure given was < 25 million USD.

I have seen the RR FTB in that configuration. I doubt they paid Boeing billions for the privilege. In their shoes I would have bought an A340 or A380 if Boeing wanted loads of dollars.

Nope. I was witness to a discussion on this issue of an FTB & the conversion of a regular civil airliner into one on Twitter between Indranil Roy & a few others a few years back. You can still view it on his Twitter T/L.

There are quite a few companies in the west especially the US who have experience in this field with a proven track record & believe it or not the entire thing can be undertaken for a few million USD.

Nice, I am not sure but what I read long back was GTRE when went on to enquire about FTB or seeking consultancy in modifying existing airline for that.. figures they received was in billion. That when they wanted a mig 29 spared for experiment,

Nope. I was witness to a discussion on the issue of the conversion of a regular civil airliner into an FTB on Twitter between Indranil Roy & a few others a few years back. You can still view it on his Twitter T/L.

I have seen the RR FTB in that configuration. I doubt they paid Boeing billions for the privilege. In their shoes I would have bought an A340 or A380 if Boeing wanted loads of dollars.

Nice, I am not sure but what I read long back was GTRE when went on to enquire about FTB or seeking consultancy in modifying existing airline for that.. figures they received was in billion. That when they wanted a mig 29 spared for experiment,

I hope now that Uncle Sam never gives any jet engines to us.
So that finally GoI opens it's pockets and Kaveri can be resurrected.

Nobody was selling us ICBMs and nukes too but woh to bana diya

GoI doesn't take this seriously GTRE not delivering etc cannot be an excuse.

Chinkus may have also faced a lot of setbacks for their own WS jet engine program but i doubt they cut budget or put project in cold-storage waiting for some non-existent Foreign messiah-manufacturer coming with the saving Tot, Know-How and Know Why for a pittance.

Till white master hangs the carrot on stick of ToT and engine sales this will continue, white master can make the Indian govt Oxen drive his cart as far as he wants.

GOI should have funded an FTB decades ago. Nothing stops them doing that now.

I remember the flying tests of Kaveri15 years ago. I believe it was a very costly exercise, at the end of which India did not have its own FTB, so would have to pay again and again for any future engine testing. Same thing with wind tunnel testing - I think that India just had Mk2 inlets tested in a French wind tunnel.

Till white master hangs the carrot on stick of ToT and engine sales this will continue, white master can make the Indian govt Oxen drive his cart as far as he wants.
What's with the white master stuff? The Europeans (UK and Germany) spent time and money getting the turbine jet engine from idea to reality. UK and US, then France developed the turbine engine further. They have the technologies they have due to investing many, many, many billions of dollars. Other countries that chose not to invest in developing jet engine technology have no entitlement to that technology. GE, P&W, RR, SAFRAN are not in any way obliged to pass their technology on to other companies.

UK opted out of the launcher business many decades ago. If it decided to build launchers again, does it have a right to expect India to share its launcher technology? Would India be some kind of villain if it said no?

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back