Zorawar Light Tank

Honestly I am not sure if I should be happy or Sad about this Tank,
On One hand I am happy that the project moved this fast and a prototype is ready in just 2 years and will be heading for user trials by the end of the year even after the German Engine Fiasco.

But On the other hand I am sad that this thing is just a screwdrivered item (with almost everything other than the chassis being imported)

Tracks - American Composite Rubber Tracks (most probably from a company called Soucy defence)
Although an indigenous alternative is under development under DRDO TDF scheme

Turret - Belgian John Cockerill's 3105 turret

Engine - American Cummins VTA903E-T760 (760hp Engine)

Transmission - German RENK transmission (Could be American also, not sure about this)

Anti Tank Rounds - Atleast They are Indian, (DRDO had developed APFSDS and HE rounds for Vijayanta tank)
View attachment 10140

Electronics & Optronics - French Safran Paseo

Sab kuch to imported hai, to Bhai indigenous kya hai, bas design.

The other thing that Saddens me is it's protection, this thing is so lightly protected that it can barely be called a tank.

Even if we are to use this thing as Infantry support how do you prevent it from being destroyed by the likes of Type-08 IFV's which have a 30mm main gun, because the turret is only rated for STANAG 4569 IV.
This thing at the very least needs protection from 30mm auto cannon because that's what it's most likely to face off against.

No Hardkill APS means 0 protection against any kind of ATGM or Anti Tank Round, this thing would be a sitting duck if by any chance it faces literally anything more powerful than a 30mm

Another thing that's bugging me is it's Anemic Anti Drone Protection, I don't see any CUAS systems present on the tank.
I am not sure about the RCWS either (I have rarely seen a 12.7 be useful against drones in the Ukraine War)
Honestly a programmable auto cannon straight from Abrams X would have been the best, but that's just me being foolish

Anyways I know I am being a bit greedy here but something like KF 51's 360° Camera placement for see through Armour capability and something similar to Elbit Iron Vision would have been amazing

All this because somebody somewhere is insistent on it being 25 tons when in reality this thing should be 30 tons with a more powerful engine and better protection.

I just hope an Indigenous Turret and Engine are in the works.
Tonbo will be supplying see through armour.

Sammer kamat sir has already spoke abt indigeneous turret with indigeneous gun to used in series production

As u said There is already a project for replacing foreign tracks. There priority was to roll it out as early as possible for usual reasons.

Engine is also going to be indigenised made in india,
Not sure abt transmission,
But they should have shared the engine of ficv.
Something like that.

The visionics and fcs will be replaced by indigeneous alternatives most likely made by tonbo and bel.

It is just a prototype how could you expect it to have its desired anti drone systems ready onboard??
It is gonna be there they have made provision

IA didn't ask for hardkill aps but drdo has made provision for it. Could get in future

Last edited:
Tonbo will be supplying see through armour
Do you have any source regarding this,
I hope it's true but what about the rest of the Optronics

Sammer kamat sir has already spoke abt indigeneous turret with indigeneous gun to used in series production
He just made a passing remark to the reporter at that time, I would not take that as an absolute source

Engine is also going to be indigenised made in india,
Once again what is the source sir ji, as far as I am aware we are only working on a 600hp and 1500hp indigenous engine.

It is just a prototype how could you expect it to have its desired anti drone systems ready onboard??
It is gonna be there they have made provision
A prototype that is going through "USER TRIALS" can't we even expect a basic CUAS optimised RCWS.
I am yet to see any "provision" made on the system
but if DRDO has plans to use something like a CUAS optimised RCWS, then I would the happiest person in the room

IA didn't ask for hardkill aps but drdo has made provision for it. Could get in future
IA not asking for APS shows their stupidity, as for what provisions DRDO has made we will see about that, I am not even aware that DRDO is even working on a APS system let alone make a provision in Zorawar, but if what you said is true I would the happiest person in the room

Anyways you missed one important criticism I had made in that post, Zorawar's Anemic Protection, even a 30mm gun of a Type 08 can kill this thing,

All flimsy excuses, you want better power to weight Ratio use a bigger engine (go for a 850hp or even more powerful).

No aircraft in IAF inventory other than C 17 and IL76 can airlift this thing, so why limit it 25 tons and sacrifice so much protection that even a 30mm can knock it out.

WTF is he talking about, according to which law of Archimedes can let's say a 30 ton tank not be amphibious

Nominal Ground Pressure is the only logical reason the gentleman in the video provided so far.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back