India at Olympics

bhai sahab...40 crore or 5 million dollar is too less, even for one game. if u want top countries like results, u need to spend their kind of money. in india case (which hv very little infrastructure etc) we hv to spend even 3-4 times more than developed countries. but in reality, we can gradually increase money in sports, so our performance will also gradually increase. bhai 40 crore cricket me 3-4 player kama rahe, but fir bhi t20 world cup 16-17 saal baad aa raha india.
View attachment 4693
you will see many poor countries performing very well , almost every african nation is ahead of us in athletics. Sports have still not penetrated the majority in india , parents are not ready to send their kids into sports, take example of haryana , almost every time there is a medal won you see a haryanvi , talked to my haryanvi friend today he said sports has penetrated even into small villages, many kids prepare for physical fitness on daily basis for hours.

uzbek is poor still ranked above us. they focus on sports that don't need that much infra like judo , wrestling and win golds. we do the same with wrestling but still has'nt won a single gold till date. Temprament(as said above) is the key , i think to win golds.

Your Infra point is true when we see majority of indian medalists till date have served in army where they get that facility and discipline which was a luxury for them in childhood.

Again a pathetic performance in archery after putting 40cr not even a bronze in sight . no hope for medal other than male individual service player - Bommadevara Dhiraj
The defeatist mindset is the reason why Indians will never win more medals in the near future. Most Indians give up after one failure or choke in the most important moment (look at the cricket team).

If archery isn't giving the desired results, we should spend more money and figure out what's holding us back. Why would you cut money?

Also, we can't compare to poor African countries which have a huge passion for some global sports (like football). In India, everyone wants to play cricket and that is one of the least athletic sports (and only played by ~5 countries globally).

BTW how many are happy for the men in blue winning the super over today? :bplease:
bhai sahab....team ne itne naajuk hallato se match jitaya hai ki, heart attack aate 2 bacha😂. bhai ab highlight dekhta hu bus, jisse ki players ko gaaliya (light wali😂) dena band ho gaya nd disappointed hona bhi khatam ho gaya. living peaceful life without live matches🤭😝.

The defeatist mindset is the reason why Indians will never win more medals in the near future. Most Indians give up after one failure or choke in the most important moment (look at the cricket team).

If archery isn't giving the desired results, we should spend more money and figure out what's holding us back. Why would you cut money?

Also, we can't compare to poor African countries which have a huge passion for some global sports (like football). In India, everyone wants to play cricket and that is one of the least athletic sports (and only played by ~5 countries globally).
There is a reason i am talking specifically about archery , It's a korean fort since inception. No one has ever come close to penetrating it , even chinese are scared of them then who are we to challenge it ?? I am backing my reply with indian archery result , not a single medal till date.( i don't even remember us at even 4th or 5th )

My only thought is go after sports we have a strong foundation ( boxing , weightlifting, shooting) everything else will come as a bonus.

There is a reason i am talking specifically about archery , It's a korean fort since inception. No one has ever come close to penetrating it , even chinese are scared of them then who are we to challenge it ?? I am backing my reply with indian archery result , not a single medal till date.( i don't even remember us at even 4th or 5th )

My only thought is go after sports we have a strong foundation ( boxing , weightlifting, shooting) everything else will come as a bonus.
knowing from personal experience, one of the most overlooked sport in Olympics for easy medal targeting is fencing. The event has 12 golds. meaning 36 medals. And all it requires is quick footwork, quick reflexes and good eyesight. In my 20s, i took up the offer to duel a former Olympian in fencing i know. In 4 hours i scored a point. ( ofcourse she scored like 100+ points but she is supposed to-she's an Olympian!).

BTW how many are happy for the men in blue winning the super over today? :bplease:

Srilanka on a flying start, I switched off the TV and in my defence I know they will lose since Srilankan Middle order is basically made up of glass and can't save their lives to bat.

But Boy oh Boy, that is outrageous bottle job from them.

Last edited:
Srilanka on a flying start, I switched off the TV and in my defence I know they will lose since Srilankan Middle layer is basically made up of glass and can't save their lives to bat.

But Boy oh Boy, that is outrageous bottle job from them.

Can you believe,, Surya Kumar bowled and took 2 fukin wickets in an over.
Khair it's olympics thread. To much OT.

I would say we need to choose a area genes that have killer instant to win, north east people are energetic and good in sports, why cant we promote sports in north east side, their genes have killer instant. We should nurture them and hire them.

And they eat proteins rich foods. (what ever be the food in cant say on that!)

These countries are poor but have always had a genetic advantage in niche sports.

Ethiopians and Kenyans have genetic advantage in long distance running. Jamaicans when it comes to sprinting.

Can you point out what genetic advantage Indians have when it comes to any niche Sport?

Genetic makeup is influential, yet not decisive factor in sporting success. Research indicates that culture, environment, financial support, and infrastructure have a far greater impact.

Besides India is not a genetically homogeneous country,it's massive population is genetically quite diverse. An Usain Bolt or a Lionel Messi is hidden somewhere in the country. What India needs is a Talent scouting program for all sports. We already have that for cricket and it has worked wonders. Talents like Jasprit Bumrah and Yasashvi Jaiswal are the best examples of this program.

Genetic makeup is influential, yet not decisive factor in sporting success. Research indicates that culture, environment, financial support, and infrastructure have a far greater impact.

Besides India is not a genetically homogeneous country,it's massive population is genetically quite diverse. An Usain Bolt or a Lionel Messi is hidden somewhere in the country. What India needs is a Talent scouting program for all sports. We already have that for cricket and it has worked wonders. Talents like Jasprit Bumrah and Yasashvi Jaiswal are the best examples of this program.
At the elite level, where the margins are razor thin, a small advantage is enough to swing the result in your favor.

BTW, I'm not saying Indians do badly due to genetics. I'm saying, Ethiopians and Kenyans have a freaky advantage when it comes to long distance running. This sort of advantage is very rare and is limited to few sports only.

Finances + Sporting culture + Infrastructure matter a lot more.

Can you believe,, Surya Kumar bowled and took 2 fukin wickets in an over.
Khair it's olympics thread. To much OT.

It was a turning track and it is nice decision from our side to use all spin options instead of fast bowlers where they need to rely on cutters.

Sometimes this kind of pitch will be entertaining to watch. But ICC moan if anything starts to turn.

It isn't remarkable.

New Zealand is a first-world country where sporting activities are encouraged for kids. You don't have to worry about your economic future, even if your sporting career fails. Unlike in India, where the fear of a deprived economic future stops 95% of parents from allowing their kids to take up sports,.

100% of New Zealand kids will be supported by their parents in sports, compared to maybe 5% of Indian kids who will be supported by their parents in sports.

I myself was among the top 2-3 best batsmen and bowlers in a tier 3 city with a population of 5 lakhs until class 10. Other schools used to pay me 100 INR every Sunday to play for their school against other schools.

I stopped cricket after 10th grade as I wanted to prepare for my engineering entrance. This is the story of almost every single talented kid in India who can't afford to take up sports full-time.

Thankfully, my kids won't have to do what I did. I won't even blame Indian parents, to be honest. It's normal for them to be worried about kids wasting their time with a career where less than 1% make a living out of it. The only solution for this is to get richer as a country. Getting richer as a country will allow us to harness talent to the full extent.
Plus majority of Olympic games are costly. It is not easy for Poor families to get their kids trained for any big sport.

These white majority countries excelling in Olympics are high-income group and can afford the trainings easily without govt support. Same is with the Asian high-income group countries.

Other way is the systematic training like done by China.

At the elite level, where the margins are razor thin, a small advantage is enough to swing the result in your favor.

BTW, I'm not saying Indians do badly due to genetics. I'm saying, Ethiopians and Kenyans have a freaky advantage when it comes to long distance running. This sort of advantage is very rare and is limited to few sports only.

Finances + Sporting culture + Infrastructure matter a lot more.

Regardless of the debate,the fact remains that India's overall performance in the Olympics is just too bad even by poor country standards. If you look at per capita medals,India is the worst-performing country in the world.

India's performance would have been much better, if not stellar, had it invested even the bare minimum in sports. I remember, until a few years ago, the situation was so dire that several state-level swimming athletes had to practice their strokes in fields, pretending to be swimming due to the absence of a pool.

The government and the people must understand that India's underperformance in prestigious global events like the Olympics damages it's global image and its soft power.

Regardless of the debate,the fact remains that India's overall performance in the Olympics is just too bad even by poor country standards. If you look at per capita medals,India is the worst-performing country in the world.

India's performance would have been much better, if not stellar, had it invested even the bare minimum in sports. I remember, until a few years ago, the situation was so dire that several state-level swimming athletes had to practice their strokes in fields, pretending to be swimming due to the absence of a pool.

The government and the people must understand that India's underperformance in prestigious global events like the Olympics damages it's global image and its soft power.
I have lot to say about that:
1. A lot of players are competing only to qualify for Olympics which is sort of gold tag for athletes currently.

2. Use your qualified for Olympics tag for getting Govt Jobs!

3. Become a coach after retirement and get a set life.

Many athletes are already ready with excuses to give when they don't perform any good.

We have to get rid of "Our Boys/Girls Played well" & "We have to support out players" attitude if we want to succeed seriously in Olympics.
Make them accountable for their poor show in the Olympics and move on to next player.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back