Indian Railways

China was able to put in over 1 million CCTVs and implement nationwide facial tracking system. It was not just on railroads but practically all over the place. What I am asking is much smaller in scale than what China pulled off.
What China did was side benefits of huge electronic industries supply chain which allowed it to install cameras at vast. Cameras need repair replacement frequently- unless you have wherewithal to maintain and replace them - installation being pointless. Case in point speed/violation cameras. They go kaput frequently - only to be replaced/repaired on next financial year.

In India - it was once same with traffic lights or playthings in park- once broken it used to take long time to repair or replace. As manufacturing strength along with financial muscle grew - you see more of them getting replaced when damages at better frequency.

Sabotages are happening for many years. Earlier their were common ammo dump fires too. As economic muscle grows - so will India be able to protect itself better.

Reactions: SKC
keep hyping up china, you will be back here faster than you think.. :D
it's always amusing for me, to notice how much of a blindspot china is for people living in the west.

How am I hyping up China when it has been put into practice and proven in reality? Besides it is not just China who have put over 1 million CCTVs. Britain has also done that.

What makes you think that I have a blindspot for China? I don't. I go by data and verified facts. I am under no illusion about China but I am not so brazenly blinded by my India-centric nationalism to ignore reality on the ground.

How am I hyping up China when it has been put into practice and proven in reality? Besides it is not just China who have put over 1 million CCTVs. Britain has also done that.

What makes you think that I have a blindspot for China? I don't. I go by data and verified facts. I am under no illusion about China but I am not so brazenly blinded by my India-centric nationalism to ignore reality on the ground.

it's ok, take your time. think it thru from all dimensions.
and on a side note, the way the world is structured, India-centric nationalist view will always appear different from rest of the world's view, that's a given.

it's ok, take your time. think it thru from all dimensions.
and on a side note, the way the world is structured, India-centric nationalist view will always appear different from rest of the world's view, that's a given.

Where are you going with this? Please state plainly so I don't have to guess what you are trying to say.

Where are you going with this? Please state plainly so I don't have to guess what you are trying to say.

take this into consideration.

western thinking atleast for public posturing is a binary system, it relies on showcasing their adversary as the other. if chini are going for a techno-surveillance dystopian system, this aspect will become "the other" for creating a clear demarkation, this is despite the ground reality. time it takes for western systems to decide to bring to public policy and discourse level, it may years provided the situation demands it.

in effect, your idea of a china style/level of surveillance system itself is likely to become a key marker for distinguishing the bad actors from good actors.

fully aware that this might look like disconnected dimension for this thread and topic. let's see what the future holds.

take this into consideration.

western thinking atleast for public posturing is a binary system, it relies on showcasing their adversary as the other. if chini are going for a techno-surveillance dystopian system, this aspect will become "the other" for creating a clear demarkation, this is despite the ground reality. time it takes for western systems to decide to bring to public policy and discourse level, it may years provided the situation demands it.

in effect, your idea of a china style/level of surveillance system itself is likely to become a key marker for distinguishing the bad actors from good actors.

fully aware that this might look like disconnected dimension for this thread and topic. let's see what the future holds.

Or you can look at this way:

People would complain about the large scale applicability of an idea saying that it is impossible, it is too big, too expensive whereas I would provide counterexamples of why it is not an impossible idea but is feasible and doable.

I am not advocating emulating the Chinese concept of a surveillance state system but I am advocating of co-opting that Chinese system and adapting it for our own specific needs.

In short, using a screwdriver to bolt a different kind of screw.

Or you can look at this way:

People would complain about the large scale applicability of an idea saying that it is impossible, it is too big, too expensive whereas I would provide counterexamples of why it is not an impossible idea but is feasible and doable.

I am not advocating emulating the Chinese concept of a surveillance state system but I am advocating of co-opting that Chinese system and adapting it for our own specific needs.

In short, using a screwdriver to bolt a different kind of screw.
IR's total trackage is close to 140000 km. There is no technology to surveil a network this huge - in India and elsewhere.

Monitoring some important city junctions? Sure.

Running face recognition algorithms through those CCTVs? Doable.

Surveiling a 140000 km long network? Nobody has such state-of-the-art tech.

Last edited:
IR's total trackage is close to 140000 km. There is no technology to surveil a network this huge - in India and elsewhere.

Monitoring some important city junctions? Sure.

Running face recognition algorithms through those CCTVs? Doable.

Surveiling a 140000 km long network? Nobody has such state-of-the-art tech.
You only need five cameras per kilometer with high optical zoom and high definition capabilities and that is only less than a million cameras in total. If we can construct telephone poles with transformers in the millions then surely we can install cameras with poles easily.

You only need five cameras per kilometer with high optical zoom and high definition capabilities and that is only less than a million cameras in total. If we can construct telephone poles with transformers in the millions then surely we can install cameras with poles easily.
Half will be stolen withing a month of installation.

Are rails stolen? Are power poles stolen? Let us try first instead of being so negative all the time displaying typical babu thinking that doesn’t want progress at all.
Rails are not an item which can be easily carried around.
Cameras on other hand are one of the popular items to get stolen.

@Blademaster Babu - stop living in a LaLa land and wake up to reality. We are in no position to undertake a project big enough to install Cameras every 5KM around our 68K KM of tracks.​

Please mention one railway system implementing such tech stack at scale. Not many nations have a trackage of 140000 km so you are allowed to pick smaller mainline networks, if required.

Rails are not an item which can be easily carried around.
Cameras on other hand are one of the popular items to get stolen.

@Blademaster Babu - stop living in a LaLa land and wake up to reality. We are in no position to undertake a project big enough to install Cameras every 5KM around our 68K KM of tracks.​
Yes but not so easy to get up there. And yes we are in a position to install cameras every 200 meters because we have concrete proof that we have malcontents trying to cause widespread murders on a large scale.

Yes but not so easy to get up there. And yes we are in a position to install cameras every 200 meters because we have concrete proof that we have malcontents trying to cause widespread murders on a large scale.
Well in this case you dont know what you are saying!

Installing a camera every 200 mtr in world's 7th Largest country with one of the largest Rail network by track length! Good Luck with that!

Installing a camera every 200 mtr in world's 7th Largest country with one of the largest Rail network by track length! Good Luck with that!

And you are just being defeatist by declaring defeat before attempting a trial one to see if it’s feasible or not. We install expensive machinery and signals and stuff literally the entire length of the Indian railways but we can’t install cameras at the same time? When it can capture these guys and deter them from doing terrorist acts?

In new projects of J&K and N.E especially .in tunnels and bridge Camera is being put on every 3rd OHE in both directions (distance comes out at 150m)Note that in these mountains more than 90% track is made up of tunnels & bridge.
The problem is absolute patheticness of Indian railway or any government org. In MAINTAINCE of assets and not evolving with time.

In new projects of J&K and N.E especially .in tunnels and bridge Camera is being put on every 3rd OHE in both directions (distance comes out at 150m)Note that in these mountains more than 90% track is made up of tunnels & bridge.
The problem is absolute patheticness of Indian railway or any government org. In MAINTAINCE of assets and not evolving with time.
Those are remote locations where it can take long time to reach and see if anything goes wrong. Ofcourse you need to cover these tracks remotely via cameras.

We are not exactly loaded with absolute money to fund and maintain over 140K KM of track length with Camera placed every 200 mtr!​

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back