LCA TEJAS MK-I & MK-IA: News and Discussion

How many F404-IN20 engines have been installed in production aircraft? If half a dozen are in airframes under construction, they can be delivered fairly soon, I guess. Enough to get a squadron up and running would be good.

No scope for 20B$ MRFA. Even IAF is not interested. During last govt MOD might've promised IAF an adhoc order of 36/54 within this govt's tenure. Lets see where it goes with weak mandate for BJP. They should arm twist Dassault and combine the 26+54 order to be assembled in India. Its not a small order.
But the cost of locally assembled 4th/4.5 gen aircrafts is always more than direct govt to govt purchase and local assembly/screwdrivergiri doesn't help us in any indigenous development of fighter jets. Direct tranche by tranche import is more cost effective, it saves money for development of indigenous fighter jets.

Provided you are a Nato ally aka vassal else they can withold any & all deliveries without rhyme or reason. Something all of them - GoI, ADA, HAL and IAF should have thought about
I explained it in a other comment but I doubt they are holding off orders just because.

There IS a global titanium shortage since they stopped dealing with Russia. Wouldn’t be surprised if there is a genuine problem with the supply lines.

And how SK got its engines is pretty simple. They make a lot of parts for it themselves. They got their own production line. And they have ordered these engines before so they have engine assembly kits.

But the cost of locally assembled 4th/4.5 gen aircrafts is always more than direct govt to govt purchase and local assembly/screwdrivergiri doesn't help us in any indigenous development of fighter jets. Direct tranche by tranche import is more cost effective, it saves money for development of indigenous fighter jets.
but one advantage we get is: knowing about modern manufacturing tools and practices in vogue. In Indian context it becomes important, as in PSU's and many pvt SME's dont update their manufacturing tools and processes until change is forced by govt, customer or suppliers.

About Mk1A production...

I do not know the rate at which GE agreed to deliver F404 engines after restarting production of the -IN20 variant. I read that GE is aiming to reach 20 a year. If so, why the talk of assembling 24 Mk1A a year? That sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Additionally- and correct me if I am wrong - I think I read that Nashik was scheduled to assemble 1 Tejas Mk1A in its first year of operation. If that is correct, it is going to take time to ramp up to 8 a year.

Given the uncertainties surrounding Mk1A engine supply and Nashik's initial assembly capacity, aiming to assemble a lower number of frames each year seems a much more sensible and realistic approach.

About Mk1A production...

I do not know the rate at which GE agreed to deliver F404 engines after restarting production of the -IN20 variant. I read that GE is aiming to reach 20 a year. If so, why the talk of assembling 24 Mk1A a year? That sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Additionally- and correct me if I am wrong - I think I read that Nashik was scheduled to assemble 1 Tejas Mk1A in its first year of operation. If that is correct, it is going to take time to ramp up to 8 a year.

Given the uncertainties surrounding Mk1A engine supply and Nashik's initial assembly capacity, aiming to assemble a lower number of frames each year seems a much more sensible and realistic approach.

- GE's production capacity is around 100 per year(all engines combined for all customers)
- as per contract
HAL has current capacity to build 8 LCA aircraft per year. This is being increased to 16 aircraft’s every year by 2025 and further to 24 aircraft every year in the next 3 years.
- talk of 24 is because, as a customer min and max expectations have to be set, so that vendors can do their calculations and let the IAF know about feasibility post 2028 production scenario. in other words these are pre-sales negotiations. by the time the actual deal is signed for additional 97, may happen may not happen.

To add more context

- 75 404s already delivered for the previous orders
- south korea assembles their own GE 404 and have started 414 assembly, no indications that their supply has been effected
- delay in supply already raised in Nov 2+2 meeting ,
- GE aerospace still hasn't recovered from pandemic shutdown and boeing fiasco must have hurt GE too
- in their 2024 internal investor call, GE has already factored in their India orders along with other countries.
- GE annual production rate(F110, F404, F414 combined) is around 100-120 per annum.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...ter-jet-engines-india-is-big-deal-2023-06-22/

View attachment 2554

2024 investor call

Last edited:

View: https://t.me/elitepredatorss/11154

⚡🇮🇳🇺🇲 India, US sign Security of Supplies Arrangement (SOSA) to provide reciprocal priority support for goods and services that promote national defence.

The arrangement will enable both countries to acquire the industrial resources they need from one another to resolve unanticipated supply chain disruptions to meet national security.

View: https://t.me/elitepredatorss/11154

⚡🇮🇳🇺🇲 India, US sign Security of Supplies Arrangement (SOSA) to provide reciprocal priority support for goods and services that promote national defence.

The arrangement will enable both countries to acquire the industrial resources they need from one another to resolve unanticipated supply chain disruptions to meet national security.

Some think that the delay in supply of F404 to HAL is deliberate. This arrangement would appear to contradict that. It suggests that the F404-IN20 supply shortage is not connected with a US desire to sabotage Mk1A production.

In reality, what effect will it have on accelerating F404 supplies to HAL? What can the US government do to get GE to build F404-IN20 engines faster?

Some think that the delay in supply of F404 to HAL is deliberate. This arrangement would appear to contradict that. It suggests that the F404-IN20 supply shortage is not connected with a US desire to sabotage Mk1A production.

In reality, what effect will it have on accelerating F404 supplies to HAL? What can the US government do to get GE to build F404-IN20 engines faster?
the F404 supply crunch is thanks to Chinese grabbing all possible sources of Russian titanium, creating a titanium crunch across the aerospace sector.

the F404 supply crunch is thanks to Chinese grabbing all possible sources of Russian titanium, creating a titanium crunch across the aerospace sector.
Why did the Chinese grab it? Economic warfare or to ensure they had a good stock? If you know, of course.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back