Coding General Discussion

Suryavanshi

Administrator
Administrator
Hello lads. Read the title, pretty much self explanatory right.
Well here is the purpose of this thread. Most members here are from some kind of IT/Tech background. Infact that forum itself came together because of the effort and drive of such people. As such I would like to carry on the deed and I dedicate this thread to Software and Coding discussions.
Feel free to ask any advice or coding related help, if we are familiar with the tech stack than we will help you out.
Help others grow and learn new things from them in return.

My college is going to begin from August , having no knowledge of coding whatsoever what should I start with?

My college is going to begin from August , having no knowledge of coding whatsoever what should I start with?

Try Harvard CS50(Introduction to Computer Science). AFAIK its mostly in Python which is a great first language.

What would be the best starting point of coding for kids?
Some good old Indian uncle with "hello friends, today we will learn about hashing or something" would work just fine

I wouldn't recommend this to someone trying to begin how to learn coding. The Nand2Tetris is more focused on low level design(Verilog, making logic gates, ..) and unless he is into that area starting with C or Python is better.

@strat if you are interested check out this:
View: https://youtu.be/I2wURDqiXdM

This is not the be all end all video for Python, but it gives you an idea how the programing language itself works.

You can either run python online on websites, or on your computer(I recommend the latter). If you want to install python and run it through your computer:

- Install python interpreter(https://www.python.org/downloads/)
- Install VSCode(for editing your code, amongst other things: https://code.visualstudio.com/)
- Create a python file(it has to end with the extension .py for it to be considered a python file by the python interpreter)
- Run it using VSCode(either by clicking run in the editor, or by typing out the command "python <filename.py> in the terminal, where the filename is the file you just created.

Here's a good setup guide for the same:

What would be the best starting point of coding for kids?
If you are asking this to teach your children than I would recommend Turtle logo.
To get children hooked to something you need to expose the creative side of things first only and only than you can catch their attention span.
If he is 7 to 9 years old than introduce introduce turtle logo to him.
But first and foremost you should sit together with him to explain how it works

Do not go for CS50 or any online course just yet (not at all beginner friendly). Try choosing any OOP language (Python, Java, C++, Javascript etc) and stick to it. Look up videos on YouTube. Once you feel confident (should take a month or two), start grinding Leetcode. Try completing Leetcode Blind 75 and at least one DSA sheet. All this would take a year or two - following which you will be ready for the coding rounds and interviews of almost all the product companies out there. You can dive into the world of competitive programming (good CV boost) in case you want to keep going but this is more of an optional step.

Please remember that programming (both DSA and development) has a steep learning curve, you will be left frustrated and demotivated at times but have to persist regardless. A good understanding of 10+2 level maths will help but not a necessity.

NB: Have not talked about CS basics (OS, Networks, Databases, OOP fundamentals etc), specializations (Web Dev, App Dev, Data Science/ML/NLP etc), open source contributions or portfolio projects here because you seem to be a beginner. You can dive into them once you get the hang of DSA (DSA is THE eliminator when it comes to recruiting freshers - especially for the bigger companies out there).

Do not go for CS50 or any online course just yet (not at all beginner friendly).
If you are talking about all the courses in cs50, sure they may not be beginner friendly.

But cs50’s Introduction to computer science is the best resource for beginners.

Do not go for CS50 or any online course just yet (not at all beginner friendly). Try choosing any OOP language (Python, Java, C++, Javascript etc) and stick to it. Look up videos on YouTube. Once you feel confident (should take a month or two), start grinding Leetcode. Try completing Leetcode Blind 75 and at least one DSA sheet. All this would take a year or two - following which you will be ready for the coding rounds and interviews of almost all the product companies out there. You can dive into the world of competitive programming (good CV boost) in case you want to keep going but this is more of an optional step.

Please remember that programming (both DSA and development) has a steep learning curve, you will be left frustrated and demotivated at times but have to persist regardless. A good understanding of 10+2 level maths will help but not a necessity.

NB: Have not talked about CS basics (OS, Networks, Databases, OOP fundamentals etc), specializations (Web Dev, App Dev, Data Science/ML/NLP etc), open source contributions or portfolio projects here because you seem to be a beginner. You can dive into them once you get the hang of DSA (DSA is THE eliminator when it comes to recruiting freshers - especially for the bigger companies out there).
Sirji right now I am going to a centre to learn DSA
I have done OOPS in java and now learning DSA
Just completed 1st year
What should I do next

Just completed 1st year
What should I do next

Nothing is better than neetcode or blind 75 for DSA

I especially like neetcode since his problems are only the most important ones

Just completed 1st year
What should I do next

Pickup any strong DSA books, or use chatgpt to give you an outline on important DSA topics and spend sometime really understanding how the structures and algos work. Open an IDE and try to implement your own custom data structures for linked lists, heaps etc. In the work world you will never use these, but it is important for you to understand how they work. For algorithms, you can try leetcode. Spend 15-20min attempting the questions yourself. If you are still stuck, look at the solutions and solve it. Come back to this question at the end of the day/week and reattempt.

What should I do next
Leetcode grinding. Maintain consistency and in a year you will be ready.

If you are confident with OOP, consider exploring specializations and portfolio projects. Visit YouTube channels like Freecodecamp etc. As you get more and more confident you can dive into the awesome world of open source contributions.

Since we're talking of open source contribution, I'm making my own neural network from scratch in C:

If anyone wants to contribute, feel free to do so! I've tried to document stuff as much as possible. I'm able to scale up the neurons/layers in a generalized fashion, and after I solve the problem of efficient I/O with respect to trainining/testing data, I should be able to train this on the MNIST dataset

My school's 1990s syllabus :
Class 5 - GW BASIC
Class 6 - QBASIC
Class 7 - Dbase 3+, Foxpro
Class 8 - Fortran 77
Class 9 - C
Class 10 - Pascal

For those who got 5th elective subject as CS as per Board exam %
Class 11 & 12 - C++

Can someone tell me what is a good computer education school syllabus today?

My school's 1990s syllabus :
Class 5 - GW BASIC
Class 6 - QBASIC
Class 7 - Dbase 3+, Foxpro
Class 8 - Fortran 77
Class 9 - C
Class 10 - Pascal

For those who got 5th elective subject as CS as per Board exam %
Class 11 & 12 - C++

Can someone tell me what is a good computer education school syllabus today?

Most schools either teach Python, Java or C(although I've not seen C being taught in the recent years in my area).

I'm actually surprised your school taught so many programming languages back in 1990 - most schools nowadays introduce HTML and then directly pick up the ball with Python/Java in senior secondary.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back