Coding General Discussion

I am interested in learning some aspects of coding which might prove to be helpful in my later-on years. To start I have no Idea about coding at all, I am a Neanderthal when it comes to working with laptops, desktops and other PCs. I can do MS Power Points, Video editing using an editing app, MS paint etc but that is about it.

What I understand coding to be is: basically write down instructions for a program to operate, basically you enter instruction "X" & get output "Y" out of it. Other than this, I do not understand anything.

If someone can suggest me a free website where I can at least get the basics of coding for someone my age, it will be nice. I know most of the guys over here are based in IT/CS/CA based jobs so you guys have worked with computers a lot more than I have and ever will.

Hope you guys can suggest me some useful resources. Thanking you all in advance for the same as I am interested in learning coding.

I am interested in learning some aspects of coding which might prove to be helpful in my later-on years. To start I have no Idea about coding at all, I am a Neanderthal when it comes to working with laptops, desktops and other PCs. I can do MS Power Points, Video editing using an editing app, MS paint etc but that is about it.

What I understand coding to be is: basically write down instructions for a program to operate, basically you enter instruction "X" & get output "Y" out of it. Other than this, I do not understand anything.

If someone can suggest me a free website where I can at least get the basics of coding for someone my age, it will be nice. I know most of the guys over here are based in IT/CS/CA based jobs so you guys have worked with computers a lot more than I have and ever will.

Hope you guys can suggest me some useful resources. Thanking you all in advance for the same as I am interested in learning coding.
Start with very very simple and basic programs and learn as you go.

If you'll learn too much theory before actually writing programs, you'll quickly get frustrated as there will lots and lots and lots of change between languages, platforms, versions, IDEs etc

On whats platform will you be using? Windows? Linux? Android?

At a later stage you should know what you want your "programs" to do as that'll define you should focus on

Bring Python home & start playing with it. Watch its videos on Youtube. 🐍

Since we're talking of open source contribution, I'm making my own neural network from scratch in C:

If anyone wants to contribute, feel free to do so! I've tried to document stuff as much as possible. I'm able to scale up the neurons/layers in a generalized fashion, and after I solve the problem of efficient I/O with respect to trainining/testing data, I should be able to train this on the MNIST dataset
Can you explain what is in the raw data file?

My school's 1990s syllabus :
Class 5 - GW BASIC
Class 6 - QBASIC
Class 7 - Dbase 3+, Foxpro
Class 8 - Fortran 77
Class 9 - C
Class 10 - Pascal

For those who got 5th elective subject as CS as per Board exam %
Class 11 & 12 - C++

Can someone tell me what is a good computer education school syllabus today?
You were in quite advanced school that too for 90's! And i was struggling to learn c when in graduatipn. Logo and Basic in school but due to communist distribution of computing resources : 4 to 5 people on single computer, learnt nothing, actually developed distate as in u derstood zilch. Saw a mouse first time when last leg of high school. A person was trying to draw plane in mspaint, and i then new know nothing about windows or mspaint, thought myself- oh so thats how planes are designed !!

Since we're talking of open source contribution, I'm making my own neural network from scratch in C:

If anyone wants to contribute, feel free to do so! I've tried to document stuff as much as possible. I'm able to scale up the neurons/layers in a generalized fashion, and after I solve the problem of efficient I/O with respect to trainining/testing data, I should be able to train this on the MNIST dataset
Can you tell me from where i can pick knowldege about neural network and deep learning basic to advanced ? I want something simple and lucid to understand for simple dumb idiot like me.

My school's 1990s syllabus :
Class 5 - GW BASIC
Class 6 - QBASIC
Class 7 - Dbase 3+, Foxpro
Class 8 - Fortran 77
Class 9 - C
Class 10 - Pascal

For those who got 5th elective subject as CS as per Board exam %
Class 11 & 12 - C++

Can someone tell me what is a good computer education school syllabus today?

yeah people say C++ is tougher but we only learnt C++ in school in 90's.

now days, in 11th and 12th they have MySQL Python with database handling and have to present projects, real good projects. I myself made a project for some one I know, had to create a small number game.

You were in quite advanced school that too for 90's! And i was struggling to learn c when in graduatipn. Logo and Basic in school but due to communist distribution of computing resources : 4 to 5 people on single computer, learnt nothing, actually developed distate as in u derstood zilch. Saw a mouse first time when last leg of high school. A person was trying to draw plane in mspaint, and i then new know nothing about windows or mspaint, thought myself- oh so thats how planes are designed !!
Yeh logo language ..
forward 1 right turn 1 repeat 360 . Make circle.

It is a stupid question to ask what programming language you want to learn. Instead you must ask what do you want to build or perhaps specialize in.

• You want to be a Web Developer? Then for front end you have Javascript or Typescript. For backend you have Java, Golang etc.
  • You want to build a mobile application for iOS or Android then there is Swift for iOS and Kotlin for Android.
  • You want to program microcontrollers, microprocessors which goes into Wifi routers, your car, washing machine, Micro ovens and other IOT devices. Then learn C/C++.
  • You want to perhaps work in Aviation sector then there is ADA and Spark.
Personally, I would first learn C if you are serious about learning lot of concepts in Computer Science. Once you get a hang of C then other languages can be learnt with ease. I would not recommend C++ as it's a bloated language which will be likely replaced with Rust which is fast gaining traction.

If you don't have much of background in Mathematics, then start with Python. It is one of the easiest languages to learn. In the end you have to master just one language to pick up others.

I passed out from DPS (Delhi Public School) which has its schools in all states & some abroad also.
When I went for Comp. Engg. many students told me that their school syllabus was not satisfactory.
Coding can be easy but it requires same practice like PCM. We have to learn as many commands & library functions as possible. But many PCM toppers & high scorers surprisingly don't like coding. I hated PCM, was underacheiver among last 25% rankers in class:eric: but i was 2nd/3rd best coder in my class in school & college. :second: :third: I failed in few maths based subjects in school & college, but got 3rd position in inter-college coding & also organised coding fest thereafter in my college. Most topper are interested in becoming managers a.s.ap., typical human nature.

Last edited:
Bring Python home & start playing with it. Watch its videos on Youtube. 🐍

Does mastering Python help in your career these days?

I asked this because someone I know got a job as a Python developer with a package of only 2.6 lakhs.

The feedback I am getting from many people is that learning only Python is insufficient, you need to know one more language, be it Java or C#

Thanks @Suryavanshi for opening this thread!

We have lot of young one joining the forum and its not just limited to young ones either.
One of the admin/mods has kid going to university and still learning coding and programming.

We are happy to help anyone who want to learn something new.

I asked this because someone I know got a job as a Python developer with a package of only 2.6 lakhs.

The feedback I am getting from many people is that learning only Python is insufficient, you need to know one more language, be it Java or C#
Learning dozen coding language does not help.
You would have to specialize in a profile.
If he knows python than that is not enough he must know Django Framwork if he is into web development. Beautiful soup if he is a scrapper.
Numpy. Spark if he is dealing with big data.

Alongside this he needs a few more skills like Devops, AWS, Frontend.
If your friend is getting just 2.6 for just knowing a bit of Python than he should consider himself lucky.

I passed out from DPS (Delhi Public School) which has its schools in all states & some abroad also.
When I went for Comp. Engg. many students told me that their school syllabus was not satisfactory.
Coding can be easy but it requires same practice like PCM. We have to learn as many commands & library functions as possible. But many PCM toppers & high scorers surprisingly don't like coding. I hated PCM, was underacheiver among last 25% rankers in class:eric: but i was 2nd/3rd best coder in my class in school & college. :second: :third: I failed in few maths based subjects in school & college, but got 3rd position in inter-college coding & also organised coding fest thereafter in my college. Most topper are interested in becoming managers a.s.ap., typical human nature.
No dps in our state at that time, infact dps used to be confined to delhi only during 90s. Convents ruled the roost those days.

Yes that's true.
IT industry is mostly privatised. There is no standardisation for salary, skill set level & it depends what kind of project will come in future, when it will come, will it come or not.
So competition & skill readiness increases a lot. it is just like we have to study so many subjects in school & college to just be eligible for any job.

CAUTION - During & after college i ignored this readiness factor. Don't do this mistake. Keep upgrading & diversifying yourself or you will learn it the hard way after many years & repent. Highlight your skills on Linked-In, etc. Golden opportunities can knock your door anytime, anywhere.

Last edited:
No dps in our state at that time, infact dps used to be confined to delhi only during 90s. Convents ruled the roost those days.
In 1990s it wasn't there in every state, it was expanding. Convents got foreign funding hence they took initial lead. And then people treated English language like language of gods. But today there is cut-throat competition among all schools. Just like in private companies, teachers also keep joining & changing schools. So all types of teachers are everywhere. And after seeing non-english speaking country's people in international events, news, not caring about english, some carrying translators also, people today treat english as just business language, nothing more nothing less.

Yes that's true.
IT industry is mostly privatised. There is no standardisation for salary, skill set level & it depends what kind of project will come in future, when it will come, will it come or not.
So competition & skill readiness increases a lot. it is just like we have to study so many subjects in school & college to just be eligible for any job.

CAUTION - During & after college i ignored this readiness factor. Don't do this mistake. Keep upgrading & diversifying yourself or you will learn it the hard way after many years & repent. Highlight your skills on Linked-In, etc. Golden opportunities can knock your door anytime, anywhere.
Biggest problem I have with Indian IT Industry is that - "There is no even playing field"

Its all based on luck and contacts! It is always said learn new things and excel and all opportunities will flock to you.
However reality is far from that. Barely 20-30% people get promotions and On-site based on your real performance. Largely it is based on how good your connections are with your higher ups.

There is no transparency in the appraisal processes of the Big Companies. Even if you get highest rating you might end up with a raise lower than a Category 2 or Category 3 rating person.

I have seen multiple rating 3 guys going onsite and getting promoted to higher roles.

You might end up working day and night for decades and wont be considered at all for any promotion but a newbie with just 1-2 year exp will go on-site and enjoy the life!

Harsh Reality!

Clear your NEET first. These things can wait.

As far as the resources are concerned, some outstanding roadmaps have been suggested by memebers on this thread, go through them once you are done with your NEET.

It is a stupid question to ask what programming language you want to learn. Instead you must ask what do you want to build or perhaps specialize in.

• You want to be a Web Developer? Then for front end you have Javascript or Typescript. For backend you have Java, Golang etc.
  • You want to build a mobile application for iOS or Android then there is Swift for iOS and Kotlin for Android.
  • You want to program microcontrollers, microprocessors which goes into Wifi routers, your car, washing machine, Micro ovens and other IOT devices. Then learn C/C++.
  • You want to perhaps work in Aviation sector then there is ADA and Spark.
Personally, I would first learn C if you are serious about learning lot of concepts in Computer Science. Once you get a hang of C then other languages can be learnt with ease. I would not recommend C++ as it's a bloated language which will be likely replaced with Rust which is fast gaining traction.

If you don't have much of background in Mathematics, then start with Python. It is one of the easiest languages to learn. In the end you have to master just one language to pick up others.
I very strongly disagree with your opinion regarding Rust replacing C++. Memory management was the biggest issue with C/C++. With the advent of smart pointers/STL allocators, that's no more of an issue.

In my field, C++ is king and will remain so. It allows far too much freedom for low level programming compared to others.

I very strongly disagree with your opinion regarding Rust replacing C++. Memory management was the biggest issue with C/C++. With the advent of smart pointers/STL allocators, that's no more of an issue.

In my field, C++ is king and will remain so. It allows far too much freedom for low level programming compared to others.
Yes the Rust thing indeed seems like a fud.
It will meet the same fate as Ruby, Dart, Scala.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back