India at Olympics

Will be declared in 2025, however, the probabilistic chances of India hosting 2036 are low because both Saudi and Qatar are eying it and they can easily throw more than 100 billion $ for it.
Not at all, if the GoI is serious they will bag it. Neither Qatar nor KSA can match the kind of revenue projections India will furnish.

A particular comment struck me while going through the comment section of Palki Shamra's video.

1723548421861.png
This is why winning a medal at the Olympics is so important.

When a nation fails to win medals at the Olympics despite having enormous resources, other nations may start doubting your capabilities in all other fields as well.

Last edited:
why the hell some people here calling Manu Bhaker a choker when it was her low quality pistol that got malfunctioned at the tokyo olympics and took away almost all her time. She would have definitely scored a bronze otherwise.

Very informative.. straight from the horse's mouth.

Q. What are some common nutritional challenges athletes face during the Olympics, and how do you address them?
Common nutritional challenge! A couple of things. Once when they travel to a new time zone, they have to adjust to sleep and their digestive system, their whole body process has to adjust according to the time, so that is one thing. For that challenge, what we generally tell, I tell the athletes before going to the new location and or in Paris in three, three and a half hour difference, so we ask them to shift their meal time here in India by at least one hour, so when they are there it will not be huge, now if they are travelling from India to totally to the US, where there is a gap 10-11 hours, then again we have to see. So, small-small changes we start making before they travel. That's one challenge, second challenge is, a lot of our athletes are vegetarian, the third is they are very used to homemade food, the Dal Chawal, Roti Rajma, Sabzi, etc.

Q. Being a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian, does it make any
It does not, it's only that if you are vegetarian, we need to vey closely plan your diet and you have to follow it really well. So, it does not matter if a vegetarian or vegan as long as they have a plan in hand. They get almost all the nutrients to their vegetarian diet also. So, that is but that's a challenge for some of the Indian athletes, luckily many of them are not vegetarian but some of them are. Now the good part here in Paris is that they have sustainable, green food and lot of vegetarian and vegan options are available this year for the athletes in their Olympic village menu. So, we won't face so much of that challenge. But there are atheletes who are so used to having rice and chapati, and all that, that we won't be getting there every day. There are certain Indian dishes in the Olympic menu, it's not like every day. So, for that this challenge that why it is always always recommended to prepare yourself beforehand, that if tour familiar food is not available you should be able to eat a different kind of food.
Q. What are the main nutritional goals for the athletes leading up to the Olympics?
We have different sports but the nutritional basics are the same because we all need energy to work. So, the basics are the same but then there are certain power sports you would need to ensure that your protein intake is right there. For the endurance sport, you will have to make sure you are loaded with carbohydrates, at least your carbohydrate intake is good. Similarly, we have skill sports like archery and shooting, which don't need a lot of calories but they need nutrient-dense food. So, the quantity of food, what time they are eating, and what food they are eating. So, it is what, when and how much, that depends on different sports disciplines and according to their energy requirements, their event timings and how much they have been training. Some may train for two hours, some may train for one hour, so depending on that the nutritional goals differ for each athlete and especially when they are into weight-specific sport because some of them would be trying to maintain the weight some of them have to gain a little or loose a little, so based on their requirement, we do tweak here and there.

Q. How do you tailor nutritional plans for athletes in different sports?
We have to take the basic data in account- Age, Height, Weight. Then there is training timing. As I said, some may train once, some may train twice, then another thing that comes in is their body composition, we need to know what is the muscle mass in their body and what is the fat mass. The lean mass and fat mass. So, based on that we decide the tergets for different athletes and according to that then we change the percentage of carbohydrate protein and fat in their diet, and of course, we take care of micro-nutrients as well. So, depending on all this, the basic information, age height, weight, gender, training time, where they are training, and how much they are sweating because hydration also we need to take care of, and their fitness as well as the body weight goal. Based on that we modify the diet for each athlete.
This clears all the frugal suggestions that are being made on diet.

Kya yaar, just when even I was beginning to like this guy.
You can not be serious.

The secularism itch is only on Indian skin. Pakistanis play along to fool Hindus when things are hot. Nadeems mother was clearly tutored to say the things she said because Chopra's secular mother made those comments before her.

why the hell some people here calling Manu Bhaker a choker when it was her low quality pistol that got malfunctioned at the tokyo olympics and took away almost all her time. She would have definitely scored a bronze otherwise.
Equipment malfunctioning is quite common in sport shooting - so much so that a lot of shooters undergo dedicated training programmes to learn how to repair their equipment on their own. Abhinav Bindra had an equipment failure back in Beijing 2008, he repaired his rifle just in the nick of time and went on to win the gold half an hour later.

Sure, Manu was unlucky in Tokyo (not everyone suffers equipment failures) but her performance in other tourneys were dreadful too and she was brutally trolled for it, called a choker, drama queen etc. Still a teenager, she competed at 3 events back in Tokyo and learnt from her mistakes.

At our domestic Olympic trials, she shot some outstanding scores and promised to come back with a medal this time. In the end, she came back with not one but two medals.

This is precisely why I take an issue with armchair experts calling athletes (majority of whom are in their early 20s and teenage) names just cuz they happened to narrowly miss out on a bunch of medals. Olympics, by design, tend to favor veterans across a majority of the disciplines - even Usain Bolt did not win a medal in his debut.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKC

Kya yaar, just when even I was beginning to like this guy.
So my post stands true.
Yup Mindset is important. Neeraj chopra like a typical Indian had the sabka saath sabka vikas mentality for the past 4 years whereas I am pretty sure Arshad treated it as a do or die battle to defeat the Kaffir.

A particular comment struck me while going through the comment section of Palki Shamra's video.

View attachment 6398
This is why winning a medal at the Olympics is so important.

When a nation fails to win medals at the Olympics despite having enormous resources, other nations may start doubting your capabilities in all other fields as well.
Why do you even care about what some random nobody from a random nation thinks of you or your nation based on Olympics medal tally, of all? They themselves won less medals than India at Tokyo 2020 and Hangzhou 2022. If Russia were not banned they would repeat a similar medal tally this time too.

I mean, wartime mobilization? Seriously?

Palki Sharma is an idiot too, population alone means jack when it comes to sporting success. Just like I said, 'journalists' who never follow Olympic sports (outside Olympics, that is) and won't be able to name 10 medal contenders in the run up to the games become experts overnight and start publishing sensationalized articles/vidoes for views. I really dislike this kind - jack of all trades, master of none.

So my post stands true.
Nothing like that, Neeraj has been playing with an injured groin since 2022. He did not undergo surgery because a short 3 year Olympic cycle made qualifications challenging. Arshad himself is very injury prone and participates in only 2-3 competitions on avg.

Even an uber consistent Jakub Vadlejch did not medal in Paris; throwing events are like this only. Barring Neeraj, nobody else is consistent and Neeraj is consistent despite his injuries.

Last edited:

Good decision, what's the issue? No nation conducts Olympic trials 1 month before the games.

Either way, Phogat is a better wrestler than her atm, she would not stand a chance against Susaki.

I can understand her grievances though, after Phogat's antics she has become too unpopular among younger wrestlers. U23/U20 wrestlers did not deserve to be treated that way cuz of the selfishness and politicial ambitions of a few veterans.

Why do you even care about what some random nobody from a random nation thinks of you or your nation based on Olympics medal tally, of all? They themselves won less medals than India at Tokyo 2020 and Hangzhou 2022. If Russia were not banned they would repeat a similar medal tally this time too.

I mean, wartime mobilization? Seriously?

Palki Sharma is an idiot too, population alone means jack when it comes to sporting success. Just like I said, 'journalists' who never follow Olympic sports (outside Olympics, that is) and won't be able to name 10 medal contenders in the run up to the games become experts overnight and start publishing sensationalized articles/vidoes for views. I really dislike this kind - jack of all trades, master of none.

Whether you accept it or not, soft power matters a lot.
In today's interconnected world, soft power has become increasingly crucial for nations to advance their interests and shape the global order.

A lack of sporting achievements heavily weakens India's soft power, severely affects India's reputation globally, and reinforces negative stereotypes of India and Indian people. Further, it puts a big question mark on India's overall competitiveness and ability to achieve excellence.

Why are they choking now only? Forget choking, as recently as 8 years back they were not even coming close to medalling? If memory serves me well, Manu Bhaker was considered a choker too, no? How did that turn out, eh?

Badminton never had much depth in India, idk why it surprises so many. We just produce 1-2 generational talents every few years who go to the Olympics/World Championships/Asian Games and return with medals. Back in 2023 World Championship, HS Prannoy was the golden goose. In Paris, Sat-Chi were expected to play that role - too bad, back to back injuries and lack of match practice in the lead up to the games caught up to them but well deserved for us, that's exactly what we get for having so little depth in a sport like badminton. Lakshya always had outside chances only and was unlucky to have landed on the tougher side of the bracket.
Look man, choking is there in India, this, you can see in every level whenever they face western nations.
There was no reason for Indian cricket team to choke at world cup final 2022, they choked.
Now don't give me pitch was slow.
Also, how hockey team performed against germany in just concluded olympics, they won last of there five of the six matches against them.
Why now? They didn't perform.
I saw that last match, didn't they know Germans were going to come all blazing in fourth quarter? Ofcourse they knew.
This is called choking.
Let me tell you a basic definition of choking, this is from net.
In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected. This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favoured to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event.

Hong Kong's medallist are chinkus only. Check their performance before 2012, they were barely winning medals.
Go and tell western olympics old men that, I too know this.
If you don't want to understand how sports can be used as a soft power tool and many play like it's a war, I cannot help you there.

Look man, choking is there in India, this, you can see in every level whenever they face western nations.
There was no reason for Indian cricket team to choke at world cup final 2022, they choked.
Now don't give me pitch was slow.
Also, how hockey team performed against germany in just concluded olympics, they won last of there five of the six matches against them.
Why now? They didn't perform.
I saw that last match, didn't they know Germans were going to come all blazing in fourth quarter? Ofcourse they knew.
This is called choking.
Let me tell you a basic definition of choking, this is from net.
In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected. This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favoured to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event.
I almost never watch cricket so cannot comment on it.

They lost against Germany because Craig Fulton insists on a defense first hockey that sacrifices on offensive prowess to maintain defensive stability (he did not include 3 of our best forwards in the Paris bound squad just because they were not very consistent in a defensive setup) but adopted a hyper attacking approach against the Germans (very similar to the strategy of Graham Reid, our manager back in Tokyo) where chances could not be converted because as I already mentioned, Fulton's squad excluded the best Indian attackers (Selvam Karthi, Dilpreet, Hundal/Simran).

Now why he changed his strategy is something only the manager can answer but Fulton's tactics worked against Australia, GB and Spain. It just did not happen to work that day.

Also, Amit Rohidas' absence costed them big time. He was the first rusher in our PC defense but had to be replaced by others due to his suspension - something Gonzallo Peillat (one of the most feared drag flickers in the world) took full advantage of. And there were officiating errors too, the penalty stroke Germany earned should have been a PC only (the 3rd umpire did not have the camera angles to determine whether the ball was going in or not).

And Germany eked out a narrow 3-2 victory only; how exactly is that a 'choke'? (Seeing this word a lot on SM, is it a cricket slang?)

Past h2h records are irrelevant in major events because teams tend to experiment a lot in the FIH Pro League/test series/invitational tourneys. India had terrible h2h against Australia in the run up to the games (we were handed a 7-1 mauling back in Tokyo 2020) and yet, managed to clinch all 3 points against them in Paris.

You need 'veterans' to win medals in major events - a lot of our medal contenders were u20/u23 athletes and hence, all those near misses. A short 3 year Olympic cycle had already made it difficult for youngsters to break into; nations who had a steady supply of experienced campaigners took advantage of it (was not the case with India; us making serious investments into Olympic sports is a very recent development). Many of these u20/u23 athletes will go and bring medals in future games - just like Manu Bhaker and Aman Sehrawat (who are still u23 athletes btw).

Last edited:
Whether you accept it or not, soft power matters a lot.
In today's interconnected world, soft power has become increasingly crucial for nations to advance their interests and shape the global order.

A lack of sporting achievements heavily weakens India's soft power, severely affects India's reputation globally, and reinforces negative stereotypes of India and Indian people. Further, it puts a big question mark on India's overall competitiveness and ability to achieve excellence.
We ranked 4th in the Asian Games medal tally barely a year back (behind only prc, jpn and kor). What positive impact did it have on India's soft power (or as a certain idiot from Uzbekistan puts it, their perception of our ability to handle 'wartime mobilization' - even though they themselves could not keep their mighty Soviet Union in one piece)? Now do not give me the usual crap that nobody takes Asian Games seriously; chinkus were trying their level best to rig boxing bouts in favour of them and their buddies (North Korea) - where Olympic quotas were at stake, Jyothi Yarraji's perfectly legitimate start was double checked just because a chinku athlete had made a false start and Neeraj Chopra's perfectly legal first throw was not even measured in the javelin final which just happened to feature a chinku thrower too.

We are in top 20 at Universiade (7th) and youth Olympics (17th); what impact did it have on an outsider's perception of us? Even this time around we will bag ~30ish medals at Paralympics; how many of them will give a damn?

In due course of time this sucess will be reflected in the Olympics too; after the decline of hockey we stopped medalling altogether, in the '90s we were returning empty handed, in Athens 2004 we bagged 1 medal only. These days we are winning 6-7 medals despite so many near misses, injuries and QF/SF exits and yet you guys are upset just cuz some random faceless incels are typing a sentence or two....

Chinkus did not win a single Olympic medal before 1984. I wonder how these trolls would have reacted had SM been a thing back then too.

Last edited:
You have medallists cuz of govt money only; it is them who brough TOPS and Khelo India - private contributions are secondary only.

Either way, I projected 10-12 medals for us back in July on the Olympics bid thread; which (if not for so many 4th place, SF, QF exits, injuries and Vinesh Phogat like incidents) were pretty spot on I think.

One caveat is that I based my projections on the international performances of our athletes in the run up to the games - which did not necessarily reflect in Paris. One possible reason is that, a majority of our contenders were pretty inexperienced - some in their early 20s, a lot of teenagers even and hence, faltered in the concluding stages.

You need veterans to win medals in an event like the Olympics. Look at Manu Bhaker - she was a medal contender in Tokyo too but crumbled under pressure. She was brutally trolled and abused on SM (because media built massive hype around her in the lead up to the games) but learnt from her mistakes and came to understand what it took to compete on a big stage. Cut to Paris, she is a double medallist and narrowly missed out on a third medal.

Another example would be Mirabai Chanu - who is past her prime and have been battling one injury after another for the past few years. She barely competed in the past 1-1.5 years but came back in time for Paris and almost managed to medal despite not being at her physical best.

Our hockey contingent had an inconsistent season in the run up to the Paris Games, even mediocre teams like GB were scoring 3, 4, 5 past us; the Aussies handed a 0-5 whitewash in bilateral series and Fulton's defense first hockey style came under heavy criticism. Heck, I was watching pre Games projections and they did not even expect us to go past QF. And yet, at Paris 2024, when it mattered the most they were beating Aus, GB (with 10 men), Spain etc with relative ease. It happened because the squad boasted of veterans like PR Sreejesh, Manpreet and Harmanpreet who knew what it took to turn up on the biggest stage of them all.

Vinesh Phogat, nowadays a part time politician and forced to compete in 50 kg by Antim Panghal (who refused to vacate her 53 kg quota), managed to win an Oly quota through the Asian qualifiers despite barely competing in the international circuit for over a year. She was getting tech-ed by chinese wrestlers in ranking series. And yet, at Paris, she knocked out the invincible Yui Susaki and made it to the gold medal bout. With a competent nutritionist she would have returned with our first ever wrestling gold. Again, she could do it because she has medalled at multiple worlds, Asian tourneys (often demolishing gold medal contenders for fun) and had what it took to win bouts despite not being anywhere near her prime.

The athletes who have narrowly missed out on medals (almost all in their early 20s) will learn from it and medal in future events. There is almost no difference between a medallist and a 4th place/SF/QF finisher - it all comes down to experience and finesse. Not everyone is a Neeraj Chopra or Aman Sehrawat who can medal in their maiden games.

If our sporting system were so shit (as implied by the armchair youtubers/journalists and resident bhosdapillers at DFB) these athletes would not even come so close to medalling and neither would we finish 4th on the Asian Games medal tally. We have never had so many athletes so close to podium finishes in any of the previous games.

Lastly, this "1.6 billion people with 6-7 medals" argument is BS. Population alone has no correlation with sporting success - so many examples to prove that (spoiler: sporting success is a function of GDP per capita, state capacity and population).

We have an amazing wrestling programme - they even became the women's team champion at the u20 worlds (defeating Japan and the US). In 57 kg FS alone, the top 3 wrestlers in the world are all gonna be Indians (Ravi dahiya, Aman Sehrawat and Udit). Also, some potential monsters in 65 kg FS (Sujeet Kalkal) and 74 kg FS (Jaideep/Sagar). The recent gun law amendments have made sport shooting a mass sport and created insane depth at u20 level. These sports will keep on giving.

To those bhosdapilled by incels and edgy armchair journalists (who barely follow Olympic sports in non Olympic events) - remember chinkus did not win a single Olympic medal before 1984.
Even if India won 0 medals, you will write a huge paragraph praising the govt, the system and how well the athletes performed. You truly have a unique skill.

Even if India won 0 medals, you will write a huge paragraph praising the govt, the system and how well the athletes performed. You truly have a unique skill.
What do I do? Olympic sports are funded by govt bodies/PSUs only (with additional contributions from the likes of Jindals and Reliance). Investment into Olympic sports is very much a real thing now, as documented in media typically not considered pro govt (Chindu, Indian Express).

Folks do not follow these sports, won't be able to name the contenders before the games, the sports thread back in old DFI remained largely inactive and yet, we have the esteemed analysts of the Defence Forum for Bhosdapillars (DFB) writing long posts detailing how Indian athletes are 'choking'!

We were actually returning with 0 medals back in the '90s - in case you did not know.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back