Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Did they use MICA or Meteor?
Thought of checking this thread in hope that someone might have answered why we didn't use the auto-cannon and here you're, asking whether it was Meteor.

My guy, a single Meteor costs almost $2.5 million. You can buy a reconnaissance balloon for all of your birthdays for that money.

Thought of checking this thread in hope that someone might have answered why we didn't use the auto-cannon and here you're, asking whether it was Meteor.

My guy, a single Meteor costs almost $2.5 million. You can buy a reconnaissance balloon for all of your birthdays for that money.
These balloons are so huge that even that kind of - that number of ammunitions - that amount of ammunition set towards it is only going to cause a very very slow leak, and it's not going to come down immediately.

You can't just pop the balloon and it's going to go away.

These balloons are so huge that even that kind of - that number of ammunitions - that amount of ammunition set towards it is only going to cause a very very slow leak, and it's not going to come down immediately.

You can't just pop the balloon and it's going to go away.
These ain't .22LR, they've something inside them

> The GIAT 30M 791 on Rafale fires at a rate of 300 to 2,500 rounds per minute
> Each 30x150mmB projectile is 275g with 47.1g HE-I charge
> Just a 2 sec burst at the lowest rate would be 10 rounds or 2.75kg worth of warhead with almost half a kg high- explosive
> This is the same weight class as most MANPAD warheads

This is more than enough to completely destroy the balloon. And even if it fails then the I part of HE-I would easily set it on fire.

These ain't .22LR, they've something inside them

> The GIAT 30M 791 on Rafale fires at a rate of 300 to 2,500 rounds per minute
> Each 30x150mmB projectile is 275g with 47.1g HE-I charge
> Just a 2 sec burst at the lowest rate would be 10 rounds or 2.75kg worth of warhead with almost half a kg high- explosive
> This is the same weight class as most MANPAD warheads

This is more than enough to completely destroy the balloon. And even if it fails then the I part of HE-I would easily set it on fire.
No, USAF genrols did analysis and thought that the balloon at that altitude doesn't pop if shot but only leak and that leak gonna happen slowly that it takes days. So only option is to destroy it with a missile.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back