LCA TEJAS MK-I & MK-IA: News and Discussion

I think his source for C130J-30 cargo length is seriously wrong. It's just 55 ft ~ 16.7M.
I remember doing my own analysis and C390 was beating C130J hands down. Only doubt is regarding its capability of landing on crude runway.

View attachment 9242

View: https://x.com/KesariDhwaj/status/1622170696494518272

RVs included the ramp which you haven't considered. That explains the discrepancy in the dimensions.

C-130E/H/J-30: length, 56 feet (16.9 meters); width, 123 inches (3.12 meters); height, 9 feet (2.74 meters). Rear ramp: length, 119.9 inches (3.12 meters); width, 118.9 inches (36.24 meters)

Does it count in stowage ? I've no clue.

I personally would like to see the C-390 in Indian colours apart from future projects with EMBRAER in a JV followed by a merger with Mahindra if possible or at least that should be our goal if we're serious about developing our civilian airliners . I'm not sure if all this is possible or even part of it is . Let's hope for the best though.

RVs included the ramp which you haven't considered. That explains the discrepancy in the dimensions.

I personally would like to see the C-390 in Indian colours apart from future projects with EMBRAER in a JV followed by a merger with Mahindra if possible or at least that should be our goal if we're serious about developing our civilian airliners . I'm not sure if all this is possible or even part of it is . Let's hope for the best though.
Hm. It's a pity that in similar manner without ramp C390 will be 3m~ shorter. C130J seems to be specifically built for voluminous cargo.

We need more companies in this game. Tata alone hogging all deals will also turn costly. They have tie up with Airbus and LM at the same time.

New Delhi, India – A delegation of Embraer executives is concluding a visit to India, which was undertaken with the objective of evaluating the possibility of expanding its supply chain in the country. Embraer is evaluating potential suppliers in its defense, commercial aviation and executive aviation businesses in areas such as aerostructures, machining, forging and casting, metal forming, composites, wiring, hardware and software development. The visit is part of the deepening of relations between Brazil and India.

“India has a robust aviation and defense industry and we see great possibilities for Indian manufacturers and systems developers to become suppliers to Embraer,” said Roberto Chaves, Embraer’s Executive Vice President of Global Purchasing and Supply. “We share a common vision of elevating the aeronautical capabilities of Brazil and India to higher levels and, thus, adding value to our customers worldwide.”

India is a strategic market for Embraer in all its business segments. Embraer’s presence in the country exceeds 44 aircraft and includes customers from Commercial Aviation, Executive Aviation, and Defense & Security. In addition, the Indian government and the Indian Air Force operate, respectively, a fleet of five Embraer VIP jets and three EMB 145 AEW “Netra” military aircraft.

A key future opportunity for Embraer in India is the competition in the Indian Air Force’s Medium Transport Aircraft (MTA) Program, where Embraer is well-positioned to offer the C-390 Millennium, the best and most modern transport aircraft in its class, in partnership with Mahindra, a respected player in the industry. The two companies announced a partnership in February 2024.

Embraer sees India as a key partner in the region and expects to implement an extensive local supply chain program in partnership with Mahindra. The initiative may include a C-390 production line in India, once the aircraft is selected under the MTA Program. Combined with a long-term local support program offering, Embraer and Mahindra aim to meet the expectations of the Indian government’s “Make in India” initiative.

Dimensions of Emb C390 width and height are higher C130j, even if the volume is tad low.

What I don't know the sizes of indian vehicles which ll need transportation, whether all will fit both or C390 fits more.

IDRW today suggests that Egypt is seriously considering procuring Mk1A. I don't think that is likely.

Reports indicate that Egypt will become the second export operator of China's J-10C "Vigorous Dragon" fighter.Although there is no official confirmation yet, on August 19 the Egyptian Ministry of Defense apparently placed its first order for J-10C fighters, although the exact number of units is unknown.

Cairo's interest in the J-10C (and also in the J-31 fifth-generation fighter) had already been reported in July. The J-10C is attractive to Egypt because it is a modern 4++ generation multirole fighter, with a relatively low cost, capable of performing most of the missions currently carried out by the Egyptian Air Force with its F-16s, which it is intended to replace. The Chinese offer apparently outpaced the U.S. proposal to modernize part of Egypt's sprawling F-16 fleet (more than 200 aircraft) to the Viper standard.

Last edited:
Ever since the project inception, countries around the world are "INTERESTED" in Tejas.

Last I heard we received enquiries from Mars, Jupiter and few planets from Bettleguise start system.​
Got one from Earth as well- Brazil. If cards are played the right way, could turn into an order.

How good is India at negotiating these things? Can it do anything quickly where procurement is concerned if speed is of the essence? I think of M2K production in India, C-17 procurement... To me, the key is to decide if C-390 would suit IAF's needs. If yes, MTA can be scrapped and a govt-govt deal be done.

Leave it too long and Brazilian Air Force may choose to buy used F-16. and then the chance of an Mk1A sale to Brazil will be gone forever.

Got one from Earth as well- Brazil. If cards are played the right way, could turn into an order.

How good is India at negotiating these things? Can it do anything quickly where procurement is concerned if speed is of the essence? I think of M2K production in India, C-17 procurement... To me, the key is to decide if C-390 would suit IAF's needs. If yes, MTA can be scrapped and a govt-govt deal be done.

Leave it too long and Brazilian Air Force may choose to buy used F-16. and then the chance of an Mk1A sale to Brazil will be gone forever.
We don't have any experience is selling anything of such sort around the world yet.

Best we did is Sales to Armenia and Brahmos to Philippines.

Our HAL Dhruv sales to Peru were disaster and I don't see us doing any good in Brazil, Egypt, etc against American and European Giants.​

Without our own engine we can hardly call it indigenous product as we have to take approval from burgericans everytime we have to export it.

We don't have any experience is selling anything of such sort around the world yet.

Our HAL Dhruv sales to Peru were disaster and I don't see us doing any good in Brazil, Egypt, etc against American and European Giants.​
You say that you have no experience of selling fighters (I imagine that is what you mean) but India has tried selling Tejas to a number of countries. If what you are saying is that HAL marketing and salesmanship is below par, how about getting some people in who know what they are doing? If there are incompetents at HAL, let them go and be incompetent in another company.

Without our own engine we can hardly call it indigenous product as we have to take approval from burgericans everytime we have to export it.
Yes, you haven't got your own engine. You chose not to take the route to get one - good investment, good and accountable project management, hard work by all involved, so why bring America into it? Gripen is exported with a GE engine. FA-50 is exported with a GE engine. Mk1A could be exported with a GE engine. Not having your own engine does not stop your fighter being exported.

Don't want to sound harsh but if you don't like relying on the US for engines, make an effort and finish making one yourselves. It sounds like Kaveri is sufficiently advanced for that to be doable in a small number of years..

Not Peru it's equador Peru got civilian which are serving well. In case of equador we didn't gave them spares. I think it was because of poor contract making. They had no spares to operate they still operated and got dhruv crashed many times. They were saying hal is not providing spares while hal said pay for it. And I think they wanted it for free. Or they wanted it with contract Without increase in cost however this did not happen no spares where delivered. So they were operating with the components which ran out of life. many lives were lost.

I don't understand why where this helicopter exported to Turkey,Israel for civilian purpose hardly 1-2 were sold.
Anyways hope they learned from the mistakes (which they don't)

You say that you have no experience of selling fighters (I imagine that is what you mean) but India has tried selling Tejas to a number of countries. If what you are saying is that HAL marketing and salesmanship is below par, how about getting some people in who know what they are doing? If there are incompetents at HAL, let them go and be incompetent in another company.

Yes, you haven't got your own engine. You chose not to take the route to get one - good investment, good and accountable project management, hard work by all involved, so why bring America into it? Gripen is exported with a GE engine. FA-50 is exported with a GE engine. Mk1A could be exported with a GE engine. Not having your own engine does not stop your fighter being exported.

Don't want to sound harsh but if you don't like relying on the US for engines, make an effort and finish making one yourselves. It sounds like Kaveri is sufficiently advanced for that to be doable in a small number of years..
I agree and we need to light a fire under the asses of MoD, IAF, ADA, GRTE, and HAL to get the Kaveri program to completion.

Bhai, Aap kyu doosre Akim ban rahe ho ?? Na ye question maine poocha hai jo aap answer kar rahe ho.
Bas man Kiya ban liya
Even initial Mig-29 can sustain inverted flight, This is a sign of unstable design, could turn instantaneously, it is a sign of unstable design. Have you seen passanger jets flying inverted??
You can have a degree of instability but a fighter jet can not be a stable design. Period.
Ok yeah, a design will come back to straight level up position after any munuver only if it is a stable design. Till here u & I agree. And a unstable design would need computerised input for a leveled and a stable flight.
You can have a degree of instability but a fighter jet can not be a stable design. Period.
Yes no aircraft is stable f4 phantom during its wind tunnel testing found out to be unstable in roll so the engineer added a 12 degree dihedral to the wing tips to increase its roll stability & f4s horizontal stabilizer generate a downforce to compensate too forward com making it longitudinally stable. And roll stability attained by dihedrals on wing tips. So not aircraft is stable it is made stable, you're wrong.

Now there isn't only stable & unstable thing there is on more thing in between called neutral stability. Neutral stability isn't unstable nor. Remember this,
will use f16 as an example. Lessons learned from f4 were helped f16.
In f16 its wing design make it neutral in roll while it's centre of mass was behind centre of lift necessitating horizontal stabilizer to produce lift making it unstable in pitch. Now tht's a unstable design. Or relaxed static stability.
With just slightly horizontal upward movement the stabilizer would stop generating lift which then would lead to pitch up as centre of mass is behind centre of lift. This is how they exploit unstable design. To keep unstable design in leveled flight controls need to counter act against it. Which is humanely impossible.

While in f4 the the horizontal stabilizer were already pitched upward to compensate the forward centre of mass. In straight flight they had to always counter react (downward force) to balance com.

Now I will again say that mig 29 was not designed unstable. The aircraft was designed to have positive but close to neutral longitudinal stability.

So mig wasn't unstable in pitch and not even in roll.
Nevertheless it is good dogfighter because of its other features like leading edge root extension, body blended wing design and good thrust to weight ratio.
Even initial Mig-29 can sustain inverted flight, This is a sign of unstable design, could turn instantaneously, it is a sign of unstable design. Have you seen passanger jets flying inverted??
Lol it is not a sign of unstable design 😂 😂 😂
Google the definition of neutral stability

Neutral airplane stability' describes a situation where it will deviate from what it was doing when the aircraft is disturbed(from control input). However, when the disturbance is removed, the aircraft will stay in the new state caused by the disturbance.

This means mig 29 is a neutral stability design and not a unstable design.
Because it's neutral stability it can sustain inverted flight not because it is muhh unstabal dezain
Unstable means jets ke laude lagana nhi hota... Fuel nikal do. Ek taraf pathhar bandh do.
Bonus - as aircraft goes from subsonic to supersonic the centre of lift tend to shift so compensate reduced instability (induced stability)
The fuel in the 2 wing is altered. So fuel pump pumps fuel varyingly from both wing tanks. Such a nice feature to have proudly hamara Tejas has it along with unstable tail less cannard less compund delta wing design.
Which is itself a monumental achievement.
Lol 😆jets ke laude laga dena fuel nikal do pathar band do 😆 😆 😂
Design, design hota hai... Pahle banana padta hai. Stable design ka matlab maximum wing lift at all altitude and speed. Unstable design means variable lift.
This is outright bs.
Instability has nothing to do with lift.
A unstable design doesn't have variable lift. Not at all.
others are allowed to have opinion 😆okay
This is absolutely wrong. A unstable design can we be controlled without FBW.

Mig-29 and J-17 is the example.
Another bs.
As I have already told u what is unstability and what is neutral stability I don't u need more explanation.
Again it is humanely impossible to control a unstable design it needs constant control input to keep aircraft straight.
This is only possible with a fbw. And mig 29 lacked fbw system.
Which is something mig 29 & jf17 lack. Now both have gotten it.
But the biggest joke is jf17 being unstable design lol.
And don't tell me about the knowledge of UN Generals who called Su-30MKi, a third generation fighter jet and Rafale, a 5th generation fighter jets in written affidavit in Supreme court.
Now my reference was right here. That airmarshal guy explained well what is unstable design and why it needs fbw. You're some outrightly bright star who brought things out of *. That too said so confidently even I felt I'm wrong.
If you can read, I have mentioned earlier that Beyond 2nd generation jets, most of fighter jets are unstable design.You are a certified dumb who claimed Mig-29 a unstable design. Learn some mathematics dumb
So mig 29 isn't *Unstable now.
No 2nd,3rd generation fighter jet is unstable don't spread you're bs misconceptions. Nobody is that dumb here(certified). Learn some mathematics so you can understand aerodynamics.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back