LCA TEJAS MK-I & MK-IA: News and Discussion

In case US delays the delivery of engine even more, what is the backup plan then?

I am only seeing two either Kaveri derivative or RD 33 MK

In case US delays the delivery of engine even more, what is the backup plan then?

Backup? plans? and HAL?

If they had any semblance of rational thought, they'd have gone in for local manufacture of the 404 when the first 83 contract was being proposed.

GE LM2500 engines are being made here, no reason why this couldnt have been either.

Backup? plans? and HAL?

If they had any semblance of rational thought, they'd have gone in for local manufacture of the 404 when the first 83 contract was being proposed.

GE LM2500 engines are being made here, no reason why this couldnt have been either.
Hal do have a packup plan if engines are not delivered they would pack up and go on vacation

There are a couples of plans:-
1) Have the new-built Tejas Mk1A equipped with GE F404 engines kept in reserve (there maybe a few dozen F404 available since HAL had previously ordered some 75 F404 which were delivered by GE).

2) Have the Tejas Mk1A built out minus the engines so that when the engines arrive the aircraft can be equipped with them and be delivered to the IAF in bulk.

Both of these solutions are a long term one (atleast 10 years), for the short term we will be reliant on the GE F404.
Why 10 years plus? The dry version of Kaveri works, doesn't it? If that is the case, it is almost inconceivable that it would take 10 years to make a version with afterburner. Of course, if India won't invest more than 10 rupees a year on its development, an afterburning Kaveri could take quite some time to come into being.

Here I m talking about smartness. I m sure if company is of Chinese origin or US origin, they uptill now done a reverse .
It's not called smartness, it's called IP theft. Publicly listed companies in India won't engage in such behaviour. There's a reason why Chinese are known as IP thieves and no company will want to engage with them had it not been for their huge market.

Even then, with reverse engineering, China has taken decades and billions upon billions to get working turbofan engines like the WS-15. And even then, no JF-17 flies with a Chinese engine.

Kaveri ? I don't really know what is its status, but it seems the after burner problems are not fixed, and no industrialization is on track. That means some more delay.
RD33 is an alternative (to be seen if it fit in the Tejas frame) but here again some air tests are to be made to fine tune the engine, the bird, the FBW. Not easy, not fast.

Kaveri only the solution or safran.
On this specific subject, it was called few years ago that part of the Rafale deal offsets from SAFRAN was to evaluate how to certify Kaveri (and fix the SB problems). The offsets amount was not enought to end the job, and SAFRAN made a financial proposal. Since no news....

Why is Tejas called the lightest fighter of its class when there is Korean FA50 having a similar speed (Mach 1.5 versus Mach 1.6 for Tejas), but lighter than Tejas?
Korean fighter is a LIFT- Lead iin fighter trainer. Tejas is full-fledged fighter jet.

Korean fighter is a LIFT- Lead iin fighter trainer. Tejas is full-fledged fighter jet.
Is there a significant combat capability difference between the two as I read that the weapon load of FA50 from wiki is about 3.25 tons while that of Tejas reported in DFI was 4 tons?

If first Mk1A is going to be delivered with category B engine, why is it still delayed?

Least they can deliver it on time?

Is there a significant combat capability difference between the two as I read that the weapon load of FA50 from wiki is about 3.25 tons while that of Tejas reported in DFI was 4 tons?
To start off with, FA50 still does not have BVR capability, while Tejas mk1 can fire 2 BVR missiles as of 2024(I Derby ER and Astra).
There are various other difference such as TW ratio, service ceiling, G limits, operational range etc at first glance.

If first Mk1A is going to be delivered with category B engine, why is it still delayed?

Least they can deliver it on time?

Have confidence in yourself; otherwise you are lost case.

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back