Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

These bomber are very useful to launch cruise missile. Nowadays this the only use of these bombers.
Even in that specific use case, bombers are an "expeditionary" weapon; best used when you need to "go somewhere" to attack. Chinese need H-6K so that they can fly it for 3,000km, just outside the Air Defence Zone of US CBGs and launch a swarm of AShMs before quickly turning back. Or the Americans need B-52 that can go 10,000km away to Middle East to fire few JSOWs on a Hamas command centre.

These are some of cases where it makes sense. Every single adversary of ours is at a, to use the technical term...moot du to beh jaaye distance, there's absolutely no sense for us to have a bomber.

The only exception is that if somehow we manage to come up with an extremely stealthy bomber design like B-2 or B-21. Then we can use that to interdict deep into enemy airspace no matter how good ADS they have and drop bombs on HVTs.

The only exception is that if somehow we manage to come up with an extremely stealthy bomber design like B-2 or B-21. Then we can use that to interdict deep into enemy airspace no matter how good ADS they have and drop bombs on HVTs.
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt this role supposed to be taken up by Ghatak/SWiFT?

It would have been worth it 25 years ago. Now it’s a piece of junk made obsolete by new SAMs that can easily down these birds. Stealth bombers are the way to go, not supersonic bombers whose speed can be easily overcome by hypersonic long range SAMs.
But do we have stealth bomber? We don't have any bombers at all something will always be better than nothing.
They can still fire cruise missiles even without leaving or borders if we use them against porkies.

But do we have stealth bomber? We don't have any bombers at all something will always be better than nothing.
They can still fire cruise missiles even without leaving or borders if we use them against porkies.

Not if it's going to be a money pit and those planes are hangar queens. I'd rather have our precious money go into more AMCAs and long range refuelers. That will get us 90% of what we need and far more effective than the Tu-160 bombers will be.

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt this role supposed to be taken up by Ghatak/SWiFT?
Ayyyeee SWiFT...it's just an improvised FTB meant to reduce the developmental time of Ghatak.

As for Ghatak yup, you're absolutely correct. Interdict deep into enemy territory with payload just enough to degrade things like command centre or radars so that full sized attack package of 4.5 gen fighters can come in.

I guess X-47B should be the closest contemporary to Ghatak.
So can a 12x12 Tatra truck.
What unique capabilities a non-stealthy bomber would bring to the table?

As for Ghatak yup, you're absolutely correct. Interdict deep into enemy territory with payload just enough to degrade things like command centre or radars so that full sized attack package of 4.5 gen fighters can come in
Well then, we have a bomber at home.

So can a 12x12 Tatra truck.
What unique capabilities a non-stealthy bomber would bring to the table?
They do have some good use after SEAD operation is done.
Missile costs a lot so after destroying the air defence we can just send 1 bomber and destroy whole air base instead of sending multiple jets.
It doesn't need be a supersonic one tough.

Regarding the stealth bomber the actual extend of their stealth is still speculative as they have not been used without SEAD operation.

They do have some good use after SEAD operation is done.
Missile costs a lot so after destroying the air defence we can just send 1 bomber and destroy whole air base instead of sending multiple jets.
It doesn't need be a supersonic one tough.
If we're talking about a coup de grace type attack to destroy everything in an environment with degraded ADS and too with a bomber that doesn't need to be strictly supersonic then why bother with a dedicated bomber at all?

The "bomb truck" concept of using transport planes to deliver massive amount of ordnance without any modification seems more justified for roles like this.

Here's one variant of the USAF's ongoing R&D of palletized missile and glide bomb delivery system than can be deployed with any cargo plane with a rear ramp
message-editor1639682598880-rapid-dragon-model.webp
Regarding the stealth bomber the actual extend of their stealth is still speculative as they have not been used without SEAD operation.
In operation Desert Storm, F-117s were the first of the attack package to enter Iraqi ADZ and at that time Iraq was one of the most defended airspace.

Gem of probably biggest 🤡arm of our military.

Uber, India’s leading ridesharing app, has partnered with the Indian Air Force as its exclusive mobility partner to offer mobility solutions for official travel and commute of Air Force officers, veterans and families across the country.

1729966782762.png

Uber, India’s leading ridesharing app, has partnered with the Indian Air Force as its exclusive mobility partner to offer mobility solutions for official travel and commute of Air Force officers, veterans and families across the country.

View attachment 13337

Hahahaha....... Picture is giving impression like UN General himself handing over India's secrets to other countries with a big fanfare.

Can somebody remind me 5 achievements of ImpAF in last 15 years??

View attachment 13337
Understanding the nature of warfare and strategic acumen has left our forces long back
Now wait for some report from govt org or office or some podcast where these officers will describe how they fooled the upper brass

Sometimes I think do they do it intentionally or someone can be so uneducated and naive

Latest Replies

Featured Content

Trending Threads

Donate via Bitcoin - bc1qpc3h2l430vlfflc8w02t7qlkvltagt2y4k9dc2

qrcode
Back